City Vs Roma Post Match Thread

If we learn that we can't play 4-4-2 in Europe we might have a start. Then perhaps we can work on a bit of tempo and movement and we might create a chance or 2. Without going into the obvious poor starting selection why then take Dzeko off when he was our best player all night, was holding the ball up excellently and actually looked interested? Last season at home, you always felt we'd win eventually even when playing poorly, this season there's not been one game aside from the Sheffield Wednesday match where i felt confident we'd win. Pellegrini has it wrong when he's saying "we're in a good moment" Needs addressing quickly before our season is a complete write-off.

colbee59 said:
Are we ever going to learn this lesson, we need to control midfield in Europe
You need to control midfield in any game

I don't understand what is supposedly so special about Champions League games that means that we have to change tactics. We are Champions. We should be good enough to impose our game on the opponent. We will. I think we just have to have more confidence in our game, and play football to our usual high technical standards. You could put two extra men in midfield, but if we use the ball as we did at times tonight it will do no good

Our opponents play at a higher intensity than is usual and we need to respond and to be on our game technically. We did neither although it looked like we were exhausted by the end.

What makes it worse for me is the Roma defence.

Last year their best defence was De Sanctis in goal, Maicon in RB, Balzaretti LB, and a very good Castan-Benatia CB duo.

Today they had an old but still OK Cole in LB, Maicon in RB and a CB duo of Manolas-Mbiwa that probably only played together 2-3 games intheir life maybe. Benatia sold of course, Castan injured.
On top of that the old, experienced GK De Sanctis injured too and unexperienced younger unknown Skropuski (?) comes in.

So their defence and GK situation wasnt good at all going into this match. Also in midfield they trio is magic when all fit, De Rossi, Strootman, Pjanic are doing very well but two of those were injured and Naingolan, Keita are not in same class for sure. Disciplined defensive midfielders but thats all. While some of the long balls Strootman, De Rossi can play are crazy and they also add another skills when fit...

So it was really not Roma's strongest side. Far from it.

Not saying this was Roma B team, but De Sanctis, De Rossi, Strootman, Castan are just 4 players that would have started here for sure if fit.

Rudi Garcia had bigger problems than Pelle before the game thats clear. Likes of Florenzi, Naingolan, Mbiwa, Skropuski played their first ever or second CL game maybe.

Yet he got his tactics right packed midfield, knew thats gonna work as City midfield has a huge flaw anyway not mentioning the workrate of it.

Once we got the pen goal from there they were on top, Maicon nearly making it 1-1 with the huge woodwork shot. And until the subs around 65. minute we werent in this game at all.

I think we would have lost it if Roma doesnt have this much injured players. Cant say if we have Fernando/Nasri we would have done better. Maybe only if Pelle is ready to change formation but if he wants two strikers than it doesnt matter.

Really poor game from Pellegrini, this Roma is a good side but injured players made them weaker for sure. Yet it was a very close draw, easily deserved for them. They gonna have a lot tougher game in Juve-Roma at the weekend. Hope Pellegrini will watch that and maybe see something in that how to play/not to play vs them.

The club has to improve on last years CL showing, that is the minimum. CL fiasco is just impossible for us AGAIN. 3 times in 4 years not surviving group stage is a huge mess and a step back for the squad, owners, players, etc.

I can't blame any players not when the manager gets it so badly wrong.

If you imagine they've probably been practicing all week for a 442 then mid match it completely changes, what a waste of a week. If I was a player I'd fookin frustrated at Pellers. I'm sure had we practised 451 instead we'd wouldn't of spent so much time looking like a bunch of kids in the park.

I feel sorry for the team, you can only do what the manager asks and the manager got it wrong. However I feel he will get it right eventually.

For me, I honestly think it was mainly down to poor choices from Manuel tonight. Navas is a luxury in games like this where we need to beef up the midfield and Milner should have been on from the start. He finally figured that out at ht and brought Milner on for Navas ... then cocked it up again by subbing Dzeko instead of Aguero. I also have to say that MDM looked slow tonight and I'm not really a Clichy fan ... but as soon as I saw Navas on the teamsheet I felt we might struggle tonight.

onceabluealways said:
oppa gangnam style said:
I would say without 9-11 points we just wont go trough.

6 points vs CSKA is what Bayern/Roma will have too. Us hopefully too if not than no reason to even thin we can advance...

Thats 6 points for the 3 stronger teams as a basic.

I think Roma at home will get a draw vs Bayern especially if De Rossi, Strootman can be back for them. At home Bayern beats them tho.
That is 8 points for Romabefore last game Roma-City.
We probably get a draw vs Bayern at home if Pelle doesnt fuck up completely and makes the needed changes in formation. That is 8 points too for us.
Roma-City could be huge pressure in this case, and only beating Bayern at home could put us into a situation where a draw is good enough in Rome.

But right know its hard to see how we turn around what we saw in Byern and today game and we just go out, play fearless style vs Bayern and beat them and in a bloody tough atmosphere in Olimpico vs a very good Roma side when we hardly did much at home vs a Roma that had their best players out with injuries.

Too many tactical/mental problems in our CL games it wont change in a fucking week or month. Its deeper than that. Key players not performing to their level regularly. Its not just Yaya...

We usually waste a half or 60-70 minutes before we correct the mistakes that comes from putting up the wrong team/formation. In CL you get punished for that. do your job before the game and get it right is the way to avoid it.

You want two strikers on? Good then have 4 midfielder that work their ass off and cant stop running 90 minutes otherwise you will be open. The way Silva/Yaya tracks back to help is a fucking big present to any opponent's manager.
Remember what Frank de Boer said years ago that City have players that decide when to run when to relay in games like Balotelli, Nasri etc.
Discipline is huge part of of tactics.

Hard to be optimistic about reaching next stage. Yes we can beat Roma away, but more likely that we go there and start a midfield duo again by that time we could 2-0 down tho...
Also today we were lucky they missed top players. Maybe next time they wont and we will miss Silva, Aguero, Kompany. Whats then?

CL is a priority for the board imo, not winning it but reaching a late stage like a semifinal finally...

I am yet to see anything that would make other teams really fear from City in CL. They dont fear us, we keep making same mistakes, being open, not being aggressive enough, tactical mistakes in a row, and all we get is punishing for all these things.

If CL is a priority for the board then why do they think we can do better this season than last with pretty much the same first 11.

If you want to play 442 then you need two wingers who are fast and can get up and down the pitch with quality. We do not have these players yet two were available in summer and we sign a squad player and a potentially good CB.

The teams that do well in the CL frighten the opposition. Our attack looks stale and at times pedestrian. Really needed freshening up last summer

We look a long way off being able to win the CL. Might have a chance in the Europa League

I think Yaya not being 100% is really the biggest issue. I wouldn't agree that he's poor, just that he's not the player who made the difference last season and allowed us to starve the midfield.

Also Dzeko's sub was shocking to me as well. I thought he played really well, perhaps Pellegrini thought Dzeko had too many minutes recently and was tired, but still he was subbed out in 56th minute and he looked sharp, with little more support in the midfield he could have moved up and threatened the goal, lay off a pass or create space like he does.

We should play with one striker until Yaya gets back to 100%.

Even though agueros probably our best player with the personnel we have I think it'd suit us better if we built the team around Dzeko. When they both play we concede too much of the ball vs the top teams.

I hesitate to say it, but I am not sure if Aguero is the same player he was before last season's injuries

I know the goals are still going in, but the quality of his performances and the pace don't see the same. Might just be that he had bad game, but I have thought this for a while

Dzeko was really good tonight. I wanted Jovetic to come on a lot earlier for Aguero who I thought was really quiet.

In hindsight, I would have played Kolarov ahead of Clichy. Clichy made some immense lung busting runs in the 2nd half, often as a diversion, but he doesn't have the quality on the ball that Kolarov has. Perhaps we were wary of Roma's pace on the break.

I can't really argue with the result, but I don't think we have much to fear from Roma from what I have seen. We are well capable of beating them or getting a point in Rome

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.