City Vs Roma Post Match Thread

I just don't understand why we always get hard groups for Champs League and not easier one's like Liverpool, Chelsea, and Arsenal. And for god sake we won the premier league and does that not give us a break from the European Powers houses every single year Real Madrid and Bayern Munich(Always). And then we always have Sub-European Powerhouses like Borrusia Dortmund, Ajax, Roma, and Napoli. But our other English counterparts get 1 above average team and a cupcake team. Give us a break Palatini and your corrupt organization with your terrible refs. The pot seeding for Champions League is a BS formula of what he wants to watch and is good for tv ratings. We win the Premier League or qualify champions league and get 2 European Powerhouses everytime. While the other english teams watch us wallow for 2nd place and they easily go through if Arsenal make regular apperances in the round of 16. I dislike UFEA.
Chelesa Group Liverpool's Group: Ludogerets, Basel, Real Madrid Arsenal Group: Anderlecht,Gala, Dortmund
Schalke
Sporting Lisbon(sold their top players like dier and rojo)
NK Maribor

Just got home. Really think we are pushing too much in these games to try and score 10. Starting with 2 strikers is just not happening in Europe and it never will. Tonight stunk of the Bayern masterclass last year and I really think Roma also taught us a lesson in how to play football in the most simple fashion. We got absolutely mullered in midfield and the basics are what did us over and over. Roma were all about just simple passing and moving and they barely had their usual 11 out. We rather laboured on relying on fancy flicks and balls over the top to try and force some kind of mistake or similar but at this level your playing against great players who know how to deal with it. We had a few chances but the most worrying aspect is the total lack of dominance and control, Roma always looked more threatening and really on the chances they had they deserved the 3 points.

I think Pellegrini needs to latch on that Europe is different, don't forget the man has zero experience in Europe so this is a learning curve for him and I think yet again he got the selection wrong today. That pocket where Clichy sits is a MAJOR problem, Maicon had acres of space over and over in the first 25 minutes and he should really of scored when he hit the bar. The same happened against Hull and it's because we have 2 strikers on the pitch, we lose control over midfield and against these teams, it's not like your playing Hull, you have top quality strikers like Totti who just need a chance as we saw.

We just aren't suited to playing the way we did today and it was ALWAYS a struggle to get into the game and you could just see the players had to work that extra bit harder just to keep up. Did anyone else notice how comfortable Roma looked on the ball whereas we looked panicked and sometimes surprised at the way we were attacking. Most of the time for example Joe just got hold of the ball and had absolutely no idea what to do with it forcing us to go route one.

I can't really say I was disappointed in any players, everyone put a shift in but we looked laboured because Roma essentially had the better gameplan. They defended well and really were so dangerous on the break, we were lucky if you look at the chances they did miss. The tactical aspect of tonights game was all wrong and in the end we were outplayed by a decent outfit who just play the ball on the deck and moved men around it. Every aspect of our play was the opposite, Silva drifted around and linked up play but it just wasn't decisive, for us to score tonight it would of taken something special (or a penalty in the first case!)

Anyway Dzeko was my man of the match, he did really well in all the battles and it's just a shame he never got a chance but otherwise he was fantastic. Sergio I don't think really gets into these kind of games because he likes to have the space and you just don't get it here but he is always that player who if we had made him a chance he'd score. I think MP got that sub wrong because Dzeko was linking up well and you just never know from corners and what not. Let's face it, it's easier for 2 6ft somethings to mark a 5ft 8 player out the game and it's not like it was going to take a clean through type finish from Sergio because Roma were just sitting back.

Anyway I can only feel disappointed and it's hard to put your finger on the problem but I just don't think we gave any real account of ourselves and it was really as though we were playing West Ham or something and it was going to be easy after the penalty. It's just not good enough really and I dread to think what someone like Real Madrid would do to us the way we are playing at the moment.

LoveCity said:
PSG 3-2 Barcelona

This result interested me. PSG do have more European pedigree but before the money were doing nothing of note. They have had easier groups due to no other French teams in Pot 1, but beating Barcelona in a high stakes situation (aka Barca haven't already qualified and haven't taken the foot off...) shows without a doubt that they're already ahead of us in Europe.

We have a team built for the Premier League, they have a team built for the French League and Champions League.

Our style just seems largely ineffective in the Champions League, it's too methodical and easy to play against for opposition defenders. There is no pace whatsoever, we struggle so much to get past defences and end up in tight, congested spaces.

Earlier, CSKA played Bayern and using the pace of Musa got behind Bayern's defence several times and should have scored.

Let me highlight that...

CSKA Moscow presented a more dangerous attacking threat than Manchester City against Bayern Munich.

Which says what ?
Do you believe City can do better ? Have City the ability to improve on tonight ?
Pellegrini says after the game tonight " “Every time you don’t reach the result you want, there’s a lot of different things to do." So blues I'm afraid he's going to have to do domething . It will be changed .
Roma's manager was apoplectic on 90 mins . He was thinking that he actually could lose a game in which his side dominated for considerable spells . City did press on for the win . If we'd got it in the end would we be moaning about how bad or sparse the crowd was or how badly the midfield was overrun at times ? He had to solve the midfield problem but that meant it was tighter in the second half to get the win . Nevertheless we expect so much from our team right now and rightly so ,millions have been spent . He going to have to work out how to break down defences . Simple as . If he thinks Aguero can be a Ballon D'Or then let's see what can be achieved in stages ie before December in this Champs league . It's time for MP to show what he's made of . I'm glad actually because it means that a little bit more risk will have to be taken .
Where were the through balls for Sergio ? Hmm ? Roma seemed to be able to go through us particularly from after our goal until the half hour mark . MP will have to figure out how to get behind defences . Wide men ? ?? I believe the players have the ability. It's going to take some impetus from somewhere to put this right though . We didn't lose tonight . Important . But ... We need to get the head up , work hard and gain confidence . The goals need to come from better tactics and hopefully we can see a start to that at the weekend . Believe !

Another disappointing UCL game. I don't get why MP insists on going 4-4-2. We get overloaded in midfield and having 2 strikers and Yaya & Silva who don't really defend leaves us way too exposed at the back. We can't play with 4 players who don't defend. It's bizarre because at Malaga MP never played like this. He played 1 striker and on the counter like every other UCL team plays.

Much worse than being angry I'm just not surprised... To get anywhere in the champions league our squad is going to need changes in style and personel.

Mr. Aguia said:
Another disappointing UCL game. I don't get why MP insists on going 4-4-2. We get overloaded in midfield and having 2 strikers and Yaya & Silva who don't really defend leaves us way too exposed at the back. We can't play with 4 players who don't defend. It's bizarre because at Malaga MP never played like this. He played 1 striker and on the counter like every other UCL team plays.

I think his mentality is that it works in the Premier League so why not here. The PL table tells otherwise though. We need some reinvention in the way we play, particularly with respect to making the most of the ball which we never do. At times we had far too much of the ball and did barely anything with it other than stroke it around just beyond the halfway line. That is fine though for Roma who now have 4 points to our 1 and a cushty home game against us where a win could end our campaign this year.

I was watching some of the goals from the other games at half time on the big screen and you just start to think, oh we never score from corners, we never score long range.. Not saying we need to do that more but there is just so much we do not do which is detrimental to our chances of scoring. Roma knew this and they did their homework which said City play the ball through the middle so we will block it up with more midfielders. We then mark out their 2 strikers and force them out wide where we can deal with them easier as they have zero quality in that area... The Roma flanks had 2 30 odd year olds today and both played brilliantly, it took a substitution for us to even get the wider aspect of our game into our play. Let's face it, Zabs can't cross or doing much really on that side and Clichy was completely unable to attack for the entire of the first half. That means for that entire 45 minutes, we basically did absolutely nothing because the tactics prevented it.

Our defending is ok. But the service to Dzeko and Ageuro sucks, all we did today is take outside the box shots that skied over into the stands. I don't know why Pelle insist on putting Clichy in on left back he's so much more defensive and but wasn't even that good defending today and got left behing many times by Gervinho. If we won't to be more offensive with pace we need Kolarov and he's a better left-back. As he can whip crosses in and also good defend a little bit with his pace. Just disappointed in our performance today.

Why we play within ourselves every champions league night I will never know. Not one player could I say tonight gave any effort like it meant something, and I'm finding myself so disinterested in these nights more and more. No fucking intensity at all, I don't want to single players out (as all were well below par) but Clichy is wank at the moment, Michael Ball could offer as much. Milner looked like he gave a damn when he came on but looked around and seen 10 other players that couldn't be fucked so it fed in to him, same with Lampard...came on looking to make a difference but found lazy sods in support.
Not bloody good enough anymore this, why bemoan the fans when these guys play these nights as if it's a pre season friendly. Only champs night were we looked arsed was Bayern away when we played second string. Oh and Aguero, scoring a goal doesn't mean you can jog arpund doing fuck all for rest of matches

Why we play within ourselves every champions league night I will never know. Not one player could I say tonight gave any effort like it meant something, and I'm finding myself so disinterested in these nights more and more. No fucking intensity at all, I don't want to single players out (as all were well below par) but Clichy is wank at the moment, Michael Ball could offer as much. Milner looked like he gave a damn when he came on but looked around and seen 10 other players that couldn't be fucked so it fed in to him, same with Lampard...came on looking to make a difference but found lazy sods in support.
Not bloody good enough anymore this, why bemoan the fans when these guys play these nights as if it's a pre season friendly. Only champs night were we looked arsed was Bayern away when we played second string. Oh and Aguero, scoring a goal doesn't mean you can jog arpund doing fuck all for rest of matches

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.