City Vs Roma Post Match Thread

inbetween said:
Just got home. Really think we are pushing too much in these games to try and score 10. Starting with 2 strikers is just not happening in Europe and it never will. Tonight stunk of the Bayern masterclass last year and I really think Roma also taught us a lesson in how to play football in the most simple fashion. We got absolutely mullered in midfield and the basics are what did us over and over. Roma were all about just simple passing and moving and they barely had their usual 11 out. We rather laboured on relying on fancy flicks and balls over the top to try and force some kind of mistake or similar but at this level your playing against great players who know how to deal with it. We had a few chances but the most worrying aspect is the total lack of dominance and control, Roma always looked more threatening and really on the chances they had they deserved the 3 points.

I think Pellegrini needs to latch on that Europe is different, don't forget the man has zero experience in Europe so this is a learning curve for him and I think yet again he got the selection wrong today. That pocket where Clichy sits is a MAJOR problem, Maicon had acres of space over and over in the first 25 minutes and he should really of scored when he hit the bar. The same happened against Hull and it's because we have 2 strikers on the pitch, we lose control over midfield and against these teams, it's not like your playing Hull, you have top quality strikers like Totti who just need a chance as we saw.

We just aren't suited to playing the way we did today and it was ALWAYS a struggle to get into the game and you could just see the players had to work that extra bit harder just to keep up. Did anyone else notice how comfortable Roma looked on the ball whereas we looked panicked and sometimes surprised at the way we were attacking. Most of the time for example Joe just got hold of the ball and had absolutely no idea what to do with it forcing us to go route one.

I can't really say I was disappointed in any players, everyone put a shift in but we looked laboured because Roma essentially had the better gameplan. They defended well and really were so dangerous on the break, we were lucky if you look at the chances they did miss. The tactical aspect of tonights game was all wrong and in the end we were outplayed by a decent outfit who just play the ball on the deck and moved men around it. Every aspect of our play was the opposite, Silva drifted around and linked up play but it just wasn't decisive, for us to score tonight it would of taken something special (or a penalty in the first case!)

Anyway Dzeko was my man of the match, he did really well in all the battles and it's just a shame he never got a chance but otherwise he was fantastic. Sergio I don't think really gets into these kind of games because he likes to have the space and you just don't get it here but he is always that player who if we had made him a chance he'd score. I think MP got that sub wrong because Dzeko was linking up well and you just never know from corners and what not. Let's face it, it's easier for 2 6ft somethings to mark a 5ft 8 player out the game and it's not like it was going to take a clean through type finish from Sergio because Roma were just sitting back.

Anyway I can only feel disappointed and it's hard to put your finger on the problem but I just don't think we gave any real account of ourselves and it was really as though we were playing West Ham or something and it was going to be easy after the penalty. It's just not good enough really and I dread to think what someone like Real Madrid would do to us the way we are playing at the moment.
I really agree with your view on Dzeko. I thought he was having a great game.

Really disagree with the quality of Roma's football though. I thought they were good in the opening half hour but then City got well on top. Of course they broke with speed, but it was Roma who were hanging on at the end.

Ultimately disappointing that City once again did not give a proper account of ourselves against one of the better European teams. A lot of people seem to be arguing that City need to change tactics in Europe and play an extra man in midfield, but I suspect we'd have passed the ball just as poorly whatever shape or formation we'd have played. It's an impossible argument to prove.

CL is not enjoyable. Maybe it will be when we are a tad better at it.

TonyM said:
I thought tonight would be our night but there's plenty of time yet. Roma wont frighten the City players having seen them tonight so we can go there and get a result.

But it was just a night of frustration

I think from today forget about the qualification there is no need for the usual delusion fifa cia agenda or i don't know what

there is some sort jinx

The team didn't change much from 2011 so maybe it will take another 3 years until most of them are gone that mentality will change in this club

Same old story you just wanna hear City made a surprise and have beaten a strong team in CL never !

So move on :)

Marvin said:
TonyM said:
I thought tonight would be our night but there's plenty of time yet. Roma wont frighten the City players having seen them tonight so we can go there and get a result.

But it was just a night of frustration

The worrying part is that they barely had their strongest team out and I don't think having Nasri fit would of made too much difference either way. I'm hoping we can get a result there but it will be twice as difficult now that they have the advantage on the table. We have to hope on a good result in their game against Bayern which could open the group up and lets not forget we still have to beat CSKA twice. It won't be easy but I think there will be a twist, it's no guarantee Bayern nor Roma will win all their games just yet.

EllisMCFC said:
I just don't understand why we always get hard groups for Champs League and not easier one's like Liverpool, Chelsea, and Arsenal. And for god sake we won the premier league and does that not give us a break from the European Powers houses every single year Real Madrid and Bayern Munich(Always). And then we always have Sub-European Powerhouses like Borrusia Dortmund, Ajax, Roma, and Napoli. But our other English counterparts get 1 above average team and a cupcake team. Give us a break Palatini and your corrupt organization with your terrible refs. The pot seeding for Champions League is a BS formula of what he wants to watch and is good for tv ratings. We win the Premier League or qualify champions league and get 2 European Powerhouses everytime. While the other english teams watch us wallow for 2nd place and they easily go through if Arsenal make regular apperances in the round of 16. I dislike UFEA.
Chelesa Group Liverpool's Group: Ludogerets, Basel, Real Madrid Arsenal Group: Anderlecht,Gala, Dortmund
Schalke
Sporting Lisbon(sold their top players like dier and rojo)
NK Maribor

What on earth is a cupcake team? Would teams like Villareal or Viktoria Plzen count as a cupcake team?

And who the fuck is this Palatini bloke whose trying to fiddle the competition? We've had enough already with the French bloke picking on us without this.

LoveCity said:
PSG 3-2 Barcelona

This result interested me. PSG do have more European pedigree but before the money were doing nothing of note. They have had easier groups due to no other French teams in Pot 1, but beating Barcelona in a high stakes situation (aka Barca haven't already qualified and haven't taken the foot off...) shows without a doubt that they're already ahead of us in Europe.

We have a team built for the Premier League, they have a team built for the French League and Champions League.

Our style just seems largely ineffective in the Champions League, it's too methodical and easy to play against for opposition defenders. There is no pace whatsoever, we struggle so much to get past defences and end up in tight, congested spaces.

Earlier, CSKA played Bayern and using the pace of Musa got behind Bayern's defence several times and should have scored.

Let me highlight that...

CSKA Moscow presented a more dangerous attacking threat than Manchester City against Bayern Munich.

I watched the CSKA Bayern 2nd half they could have scored after losing 2 games so think City will certainly not get 6 points

inbetween said:
Just got home. Really think we are pushing too much in these games to try and score 10. Starting with 2 strikers is just not happening in Europe and it never will. Tonight stunk of the Bayern masterclass last year and I really think Roma also taught us a lesson in how to play football in the most simple fashion. We got absolutely mullered in midfield and the basics are what did us over and over. Roma were all about just simple passing and moving and they barely had their usual 11 out. We rather laboured on relying on fancy flicks and balls over the top to try and force some kind of mistake or similar but at this level your playing against great players who know how to deal with it. We had a few chances but the most worrying aspect is the total lack of dominance and control, Roma always looked more threatening and really on the chances they had they deserved the 3 points.

I think Pellegrini needs to latch on that Europe is different, don't forget the man has zero experience in Europe so this is a learning curve for him and I think yet again he got the selection wrong today. That pocket where Clichy sits is a MAJOR problem, Maicon had acres of space over and over in the first 25 minutes and he should really of scored when he hit the bar. The same happened against Hull and it's because we have 2 strikers on the pitch, we lose control over midfield and against these teams, it's not like your playing Hull, you have top quality strikers like Totti who just need a chance as we saw.

We just aren't suited to playing the way we did today and it was ALWAYS a struggle to get into the game and you could just see the players had to work that extra bit harder just to keep up. Did anyone else notice how comfortable Roma looked on the ball whereas we looked panicked and sometimes surprised at the way we were attacking. Most of the time for example Joe just got hold of the ball and had absolutely no idea what to do with it forcing us to go route one.

I can't really say I was disappointed in any players, everyone put a shift in but we looked laboured because Roma essentially had the better gameplan. They defended well and really were so dangerous on the break, we were lucky if you look at the chances they did miss. The tactical aspect of tonights game was all wrong and in the end we were outplayed by a decent outfit who just play the ball on the deck and moved men around it. Every aspect of our play was the opposite, Silva drifted around and linked up play but it just wasn't decisive, for us to score tonight it would of taken something special (or a penalty in the first case!)

Anyway Dzeko was my man of the match, he did really well in all the battles and it's just a shame he never got a chance but otherwise he was fantastic. Sergio I don't think really gets into these kind of games because he likes to have the space and you just don't get it here but he is always that player who if we had made him a chance he'd score. I think MP got that sub wrong because Dzeko was linking up well and you just never know from corners and what not. Let's face it, it's easier for 2 6ft somethings to mark a 5ft 8 player out the game and it's not like it was going to take a clean through type finish from Sergio because Roma were just sitting back.

Anyway I can only feel disappointed and it's hard to put your finger on the problem but I just don't think we gave any real account of ourselves and it was really as though we were playing West Ham or something and it was going to be easy after the penalty. It's just not good enough really and I dread to think what someone like Real Madrid would do to us the way we are playing at the moment.

I think you'll find he has plenty of experience in Europe. Strange comment.

Really embarrased by the attendace tonight its worrying how on a big champions league night like this we cant even get 40 000 the club really needs to look at this.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.