City Vs Roma Post Match Thread

inbetween said:
I think Pellegrini needs to latch on that Europe is different, don't forget the man has zero experience in Europe so this is a learning curve for him
That's bollocks. Pellegrini managed to get both Villarreal and Malaga to the Champions League semi finals, and was completely robbed by the ref in the dying moments of getting Malaga to the final. Dortmund scored 2 late goals to progress, despite being a mile offside. But you know best.

inbetween said:
Marvin said:
TonyM said:
CL is not enjoyable. Maybe it will be when we are a tad better at it.
I thought tonight would be our night but there's plenty of time yet. Roma wont frighten the City players having seen them tonight so we can go there and get a result.

But it was just a night of frustration

The worrying part is that they barely had their strongest team out and I don't think having Nasri fit would of made too much difference either way. I'm hoping we can get a result there but it will be twice as difficult now that they have the advantage on the table. We have to hope on a good result in their game against Bayern which could open the group up and lets not forget we still have to beat CSKA twice. It won't be easy but I think there will be a twist, it's no guarantee Bayern nor Roma will win all their games just yet.
Fernando will, and Nasri would keep the ball, and use it well. That's what went wrong tonight, our passing. We can play a lot better than that

I think the whole football club has developed a mental block with regards to the C League

The fans associate it with an expensive rip off and it is at the moment, because City are just not performing in Europe.

On a general note unrelated to Roma. We look a completely different team in CL, and it has nothing to do with quality. I think it's the type of football. Like tonight the game didn't flow at all. There were constant interruptions of play. For smallest of fouls.

I just think we're not used to the difference in style where the open play has a smaller part. The game is less physical but more tactical in nature.

Our set pieces are dreadful basically. Like for the life of me I cannot understand why we go for short corners when we have Dzeko, Kompany, Demichelis, Yaya on the field. Dzeko's probably one of the best headers of the ball around and we play short corners often with him in the box.

I think the most problematic one is our mentality. I don't know why we always look like a deer caught in the headlight in european games! Maybe it's because the expectation to get further in cl is so huge that we end up tripping on our own feet??
It seems like the youngster are doing better in the youth league. Even when they were a goal behind they keep calm and win. Maybe, if they keep doing well for several years and most of them can break into the first team,finally we'll have a chance in cl!

How is it, that despite going one up, we still allowed Roma to dictate the whole pattern & pace of the game throughout?

Why weren't Lampard & Milner brought on, shortly after Maicon was put clean through and hit the bar, as it was clear, even though we were leading at the time, that we were being totally overrun in midfield,

I know our owners want the club to play open expansive football, but I do wish, when up against a side of Roma's quality, that we would be more professional and close the game out at 1-0, rather than continuously charging forward at every opportunity, leaving huge gaps in midfield & defence for the opposition to exploit, regardless of the consequences.

Where does the hustle go on the weekday CL games? Come the weekend in the PL we buzz around the pitch like we're two men to the good, and in these matches we look like we're mired in quicksand from the off. Does Yaya have some nagging injury? He jogged around at half pace today and at Bayern like he was nursing a torn Achilles. Last season I remember him blowing by defenders on a regular basis. Kudos to Lampard and Milner for taking the attack up a notch when they came on.

BobKowalski said:
Mcfchamps said:
So what should have been out ideal line up?

The main problem is not in the line up or the formation. It's in our heads.

Bob is correct.

We lack the mental fortitude to get up for the big games in the Chumps League when push comes to shove.

Individually the players are good enough to compete but collectively we don't have the win at all costs mindset.

I very much doubt this group of players have a Chumps League trophy in them nor has the manager.

We are still well away from dominating sides that press us and have greater speed in moving forward than us.

We have to be winning these games against this opposition especially at home comfortably before we begin to set a mark in Europe.

Was impressed with Roma. Thought they deserved the win, quick on the counter, closed us down brilliantly and were defensively well organised. Couldve been 3-1 up at half time. We got back into the game after the penny dropped but it was far too late. All in all a point isn't bad considering how poor we were and how badly we were set up. Hopefully the players can pick themselves up and grind out a result against Villa.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.