City Vs Roma Post Match Thread

Things I learned today:

1. Pellegrini is no tactician and getting it wrong is becoming too often.

2. Aguero is just another striker till he redeems himself as the number one. So does yaya.

3. Dzeko is our main striker and we should have faith in him.

4. Silva should always start as a 10.

5. Lampard pushes up behind the striker when comes on, not Yaya anymore. And he's better at it :o

6. Same old LB issue still not addressed for the last few seasons. Kol>clichy IMO

7. Fernandinho was working his ass off since Fernando's injury and deserves a start a start ahead of yaya.

8. Milner is the man that can win us games, not Nasri or navas.

9. Jovetic>aguero???? Hrmm

we are essentially the same team that scraped out of the group last season and did not the year before. we did not bring in an attacking player this year and the three from the year before . one has left one is a sub usually and the other usually injured. is it any wonder we are struggling. as for silva he all but never plays well without nasri in the side and vise verse aguero doesn't usually play well with dzeco but jocevic does. yayas bottle goes in every game that he comes up against a good midfield that works hard
but lets look at the positives we had more possession more attempts more corners and were fouled more . if we win our next two games we turn this league on its head . if we do not we could end up in a comp that we can winl

I don't know what it is about this competition, but somehow it doesn't seem to strike us. Us in players and fans. Is this becoming a psychological thing? I mean, the empty seats and lack of atmosphere no doubt had it's influence on the team. The other way round, the way we played the first half no doubt had it's influence on the fans. It's not just this game. I've noticed it before against Bayern, Napoli, Real, Ajax, Dortmund, Barcelona and now Roma. It looks like we don't feel at home in this competition.

Ofcourse we can put the conspiracy theory foreward. Out of the last 4 years we end up in the group of death 3 times. Despite finishing 3, 1, 2 and 1 in the PL, we're still not in pot 1. And this year we need to cope with the ristrictions of the FFPR. But is this what it really is?
Others will say in Europe they play a different game and we need to get used to that. We are a PL-team that plays in a European way and we hardly have players in our team that grew up the "English" way of playing football. This is not it.
Tactical failures? Ofcourse many mistakes were being made yesterday, some players not at the races (Yaya, Aguero) and the manager who got a few things wrong. But this is not the one game, it happened in so many games -as said before with the mentioning of our opponenents- I start to wonder if that really is what causes our poor run of results in the CL or the lack of atmosphere.

You look at Rome (and Napoli were about the same 3years ago) it seems they have the swagger, the believe and the guts to go all out and see where it gets them. Their fans are exactly the same. The awaysection moreoften is louder, depending how the game goes, but again this seems different, They don't fear us; more like we fear them like our players fear failing to performe. It really puzzles me.

Despite getting 15 points and nearly topping the group last year, I would be very surprised if we will qualify from this one. I wonder if we take 6 points from CSKA, we are able to give Bayern a game when it really matters. Or if we gonna have the same scene on the pitch and in the stands like last noght and many CL-nights at our place before.

Marvin said:
I hesitate to say it, but I am not sure if Aguero is the same player he was before last season's injuries

I know the goals are still going in, but the quality of his performances and the pace don't see the same. Might just be that he had bad game, but I have thought this for a while

Dzeko was really good tonight. I wanted Jovetic to come on a lot earlier for Aguero who I thought was really quiet.

In hindsight, I would have played Kolarov ahead of Clichy. Clichy made some immense lung busting runs in the 2nd half, often as a diversion, but he doesn't have the quality on the ball that Kolarov has. Perhaps we were wary of Roma's pace on the break.

I can't really argue with the result, but I don't think we have much to fear from Roma from what I have seen. We are well capable of beating them or getting a point in Rome

I think we have a lot to fear from them Marvin. They were excellent for me.

As for your point on Aguero. I totally agree. he doesn't look anywhere near as dangerous as he did. Maybe he still isn't firing at 100% but Dzeko was miles ahead of him last night. I cant for the life of me understand that substitution because Dzeko was clearly better and by taking him off we also lose our height up front which when you need a goal seems an odd decision.

Clichy is an average left back for me and Kolorov isn't much better. It is an area that I think we have been weak in for some time and against the better teams it often shows.

Just think the team is not good enough to beat decent opposition in the Champions League, which seems odd despite all the money spent on players.

Silva and Aguero yet to really perform in this competition like they have in domestic comps.

Toure has just looked awful thus far this season, and I think midfield is where we are weakest. Domestically we can get away with that to an extent, but even then I think we are vulnerable due to a weak central midfield. I have never been fully convinced by Fernandinho (decent player in my opinion but not top class) , although many City fans have and thus when Toure and Fernandinho are the 2 central midfielders I think we are very vulnerable.

Ironically last night it took 2 English players who came on as subs, Milner and Lampard, to make us play better.

Hopefully Fernando is fit again soon to see if he can help solve this problem.

Best Team from the current squad we have available (based on form):

Hart

Zabaleta Kompany Mangala Kolarov

Fernando

Milner Lampard

Jovetic Silva

Aguero

The usual City bashing of course follows (re Scholes, Ferdinand and every other Utd or Liverpool or Arsenal ex-player or fan). We can only minimise the anti-City campaign from others by winning in the CL and domestically.

Criticism of our support is somewhat unfair. Yes there are issues with the atmosphere (and hopefully the 1894 group and others can work with the club to put in place possible options to help with this at least of not solve it), but due to our success over the last 3 years fans have had to spend a lot of many watching City, with ever increasing prices. Thus we are nay expect lower attendances at some games when some fans get priced out. Every club has some games when there are empty seats, yer it is only City who get this pointed out. This does not mean that the stadium expansion as Ferdinand has said is not required, as maybe the expanded stadium will give the club the option to have some lower prices.

Who hopes Ferdinand and QPR now get relegated !

salfordbluetrue said:
we are essentially the same team that scraped out of the group last season and did not the year before. we did not bring in an attacking player this year and the three from the year before . one has left one is a sub usually and the other usually injured. is it any wonder we are struggling. as for silva he all but never plays well without nasri in the side and vise verse aguero doesn't usually play well with dzeco but jocevic does. yayas bottle goes in every game that he comes up against a good midfield that works hard
but lets look at the positives we had more possession more attempts more corners and were fouled more . if we win our next two games we turn this league on its head . if we do not we could end up in a comp that we can winl

Scraped out of the group? We had the highest points total ever for a team that didn't come top. We won 5/6 matches.

Just watched the highlights again.

Demichelis was painfully slow and struggled badly against their attack,much like Yaya,he couldnt cope with their pace and pressing style,both should have been replaced.

So frustrating,although we got a point,the managers lack of understanding and baffling tactics are very worrying.Why could he not see what was happening?

We're very strong, but were we lack a bit of creativity, when Nasri plays he doesn't contribute enough, when he doesn't the load is too much for silva, we don't buy cheap free kicks with a bit of guile, were way to honest. Our corners are as bad as they've ever been, free kicks around the box are more dangerous for us than the opposition. We're hard to beat but look vulnerable when we go for it. Is it possible we as a collective have not bought into the chumps league and all that goes with it, it seems to cause us more grief than pleasure.

set up was all wrong, first half especially

they dominated the midfield and our left back position.

its painfully obvious that silva cannot do the defensive duty on our left hand side.

maicon had a field day down that side.

with navas stuck on the wing and silva floating here there and everywhere it left a virtual two in the middle, plus the fact yaya had another off night, fernandinho was left grasping at straws

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.