City Vs Roma Post Match Thread

2 up top isn't the main issue for me. Cliche isn't nearly aggressive enough and maybe through fear of the ref our whole team plays without the physical edge we display in Prem games. Look at the Chelsea game for an example. Kompany especially is inhibited - although he was AWOL for their goal he makes that same move a lot and normally just tackles through the midfielder. Zabba was also inhibited and his booking was a joke especially considering the lack of cards for Roma.

Our biggest problem for me in these games is our lack of runners beyond the ball especially when we have opportunity to break. Too often edin and Sergio are the farthest players forward with the ball and no one running beyond them. The big difference Milner, Lampard and Jovetic made is that they will run beyond the ball. This makes space for silva and co and makes us a little less easy to break against.

Also Navas will do pretty much the same cross whenever he gets a chance (which is pretty often) so how about we take a chance and actually attack one.

Not long after Yaya signed for us someone posted on here that his contract says he starts every game and can not be subbed off - unless in each case he is injured (or agrees) .... Pretty much looks like it could all be true !!!!!

4-4-2
Navas-Fernado-Fernadinho-LW is mlissing from the squad

4-4-2 diamond
Fernado
Fernadinho-Toure
Silva
CHECK

4-3-3
Fernado
Fernadinho-Toure
FR is missing from the squad-Nasri

4-2-3-1
Fernado-Fernadinho
CHECK

We played the high line last night which is fine yet MP dropped Mangala which is not because you need pace in the back 4 to play that way. Baffling to say the least

Millwallawayveteran1988 said:
Marvin said:
I hesitate to say it, but I am not sure if Aguero is the same player he was before last season's injuries

I know the goals are still going in, but the quality of his performances and the pace don't see the same. Might just be that he had bad game, but I have thought this for a while

Dzeko was really good tonight. I wanted Jovetic to come on a lot earlier for Aguero who I thought was really quiet.

In hindsight, I would have played Kolarov ahead of Clichy. Clichy made some immense lung busting runs in the 2nd half, often as a diversion, but he doesn't have the quality on the ball that Kolarov has. Perhaps we were wary of Roma's pace on the break.

I can't really argue with the result, but I don't think we have much to fear from Roma from what I have seen. We are well capable of beating them or getting a point in Rome

I think we have a lot to fear from them Marvin. They were excellent for me.

As for your point on Aguero. I totally agree. he doesn't look anywhere near as dangerous as he did. Maybe he still isn't firing at 100% but Dzeko was miles ahead of him last night. I cant for the life of me understand that substitution because Dzeko was clearly better and by taking him off we also lose our height up front which when you need a goal seems an odd decision.

Clichy is an average left back for me and Kolorov isn't much better. It is an area that I think we have been weak in for some time and against the better teams it often shows.
Quick on the counter, but there was rarely an occasion when I thought wow or I saw some moment of great skill - it was the usual story of several City players playing below par, ad City being wasteful in possession. I thought by the end of the game we were well on top, but we need to be better.

Chelsea are better than Roma, indeed Arsenal are too and we deal with them in the Premiership. Must be mental.

It's not going to happen I know, but we need the fans to really turn up in force and get behind the team like they do at other CL venues. It's too nice a place to play

Disapointing performance yesterday - but not the end of the world as some make it out to be...

Draw seems like a fair result based on everything i've seen.

Very unlucky with the group - probably the hardest in the competition.

Still, need to win both games against CSKA and then give everything in thise two final games vs. Bayern and Roma to try to reach final 16.
It's quite obvious now that anything less than maximum effort from all players will not be enough to progress from this group.

Really strange how City sometimes completely dominates domestic games against United, Arsenal, Totenham etc... but can never do the same against solid opposition in Europe... really strange...

Poor again in the Champion's League.

Silva and Yaya in a flat midfield 4? Oh dear.

Our midfield is the area we ened to look at, it's just so unbalanced in Europe.

I think we have a problem where Silva and Yaya's best position is the number 10 role. Yaya in a midfield 2 and Silva out wide doesn't work in the Champion's League - it's been proven the last 3 seasons.

The best we've played in the CL, after a poor start, we Bayern away last season. The last 60 minutes of that game we were brilliant and looked like we belonged at that level.

That night we played a 4-2-3-1 with two holding midfielders protecting the defence with pace out wide and Silva behind the lone striker. We need to go back to that.

When everybody is fully fit, in the Champion's League, I think we should try:

-------------------------Hart----------------------
Zabaleta--Kompany--Mangala--Kolarov
------------Fernando--Fernandinho-------
Milner--------------Silva------------Jovetic--
----------------------Aguero---------------------

I would drop Yaya and Nasri - they unbalance the team and haven't done enough in this competition the last 3 years.

Pellegrini s tactics against Roma/Bayern.....-
-Boys there are couple off their key players that don t play tonight so relax and enjoy football

yaya is not suited to playing in a midfield 2 in Europe against teams who press quick so we need to go with 3. The problem with playing 2 up top means one has to drop when we have the ball and they are not suited to this By playing 3 in there ball retention should be better and means Kolarov can play fullback giving us better quality going forward and. His defensive deficiencies are not as easily exposed.

We are panicking after last night but once we get Fernando back and Manuel tweaks it and gets his tactics right instead of going in thinking my teams better than yours, we should be alright and I can see us beating Bayern at home if we win the games against Moscow

At one point last night Townsend said something like 'City need to get Silva on the ball between Roma's midfield and defence.' I glanced upfield to see approximately five yards between Roma's centre-backs and Strootman.

When Silva gets frozen out we really don't offer much of anything else, and Roma did a great job in limiting the space he had to work in (and the space in behind them for our players to run into). Tactically they were much more cohesive and seemed to have a far clearer understanding of what they were trying to achieve than we did. Which is concerning.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.