Citys american tour

well i cant wait to go, new york then back home then off again to baltimore, i was supposed to be staying in buckhead for that game but because of work atlanta is out of the picture now, yep i ll be knackered going across the atlantic but i cant wait..see you all in the hatter boys..oh and i ve had my fill over the years of places like rochdale away for friendlies etc..yes it was money for them but city cant sell the club going to places like that and like it or not thats what its all about, thats why the prem want to show that extra game in asia

Roger Ringpiece said:
Correct-we keep getting good quality opposition but never get more that 30,000 for the home pre season game, thats how big a draw a 'local' pre season game is for a lot of people.

Ticket For Schalke said:
Has anyone mentioned the fact what a great opportunity for the people of manchester to visit the us. Fuck off with all these local friendlies, they'll be plenty of spare seats for the annual home friendly. Never read so much tripe in my whole life. The U.S fans deserve to see there beloved team as much as we do. have a top time blues.

Exactly, I went to the Valencia game(the first under Sven) a few years ago and it was worse than the early UEFA Cup games the season before last, so yeah mancunian City fans are really fickle sometimes, if the youngsters could be arsed going they'd go, fans from across the world should have a chance to watch us.

Facing tougher opposition and teams we haven't played for years is better than facing the local teams who our reserves in the current day can beat, and besides if we want to be one of the biggest clubs with a big enough turnover to cope with Platini then we have to do it, plus COMS wasn't exactly selling out last season and kids get a more than fair price to go.

Finally, if we're so anti-manc here, I guess I'll have to join the foreigners club seeing as I lived the first 10 months of my life in London, you lot really that precious about where our fans come from? I don't care as long as they actually take an active interest and are knowledgable about our history.

Ticket For Schalke said:
Has anyone mentioned the fact what a great opportunity for the people of manchester to visit the us. Fuck off with all these local friendlies, they'll be plenty of spare seats for the annual home friendly. Never read so much tripe in my whole life. The U.S fans deserve to see there beloved team as much as we do. have a top time blues.

Ahhh the voice of reason TFS....finally and thanks for the support!!

I have supported my beloved City since 1967, when my uncle took me into the old PLatt Lane at the time and have supported them through thick and thin (a lot of the former :-) !!) since then, i also had a season ticket for over 20 years so i guess you could say i am a fan!!

I have now lived in the US for the last 10 years and getting the chance to see the boys in my new 'hometown' is a dream come true, not just for me but for a hardcore bunch of City lads who live in or within 4-5 hrs of Atlanta, so give us a break here eh chaps, this is a huge deal for all US-Based Blues, whether we were born in Manc (like I was by the way - Stretford Memorial if you are interested) or whether you have adopted our great club in recent times is not the point...the point is we are all BLUES!!

I also come back to Manchester at least one game per season to watch City so spending my hard earned cash to watch the game and club that i love is also not an issue - I love it and cant get enough of it, so please dont burst my dream here, just let us enjoy the thought of City in the US and if you chose to come over - great - if not, no problem, just dont start spoiling it for others - Capisce??

CTID - And beyond !!!!!!!!!!

gymshoe said:

I am a new City fan, started watching EPL last Fall, with the hope I would learn enough to become intelligent for the Worcl Cup. I have evolved.

I now have a 4-day holiday centered soley around City being in NYC, and I will probably find a way to attend the Inter Milan game, too. I am scheduling a mid-February trip to Manchester, begging that the fixture be friendly to me when it is posted tomorrow, so I might catch 3 games in 8 days, counting Carling and FA Cup fixtures.

There are now 4 City fans in Chatham, Illinois, USA. We get up at 6:30 AM to watch City on a Saturday, and down pints of Boddy's, and I make Toad in the Hole with my home-made sausage and rashers. I buy from the City Store, and proudly own and wear my Mancini scarf. We roadtrip to Chicago for games at Fado (Irish Pub), and I scheduled my last NYC trip around the Arsenal game in April to meet the people at the Mad Hatter.

Whether you like it or you do not like it, My desire to follow the World Cup has evolved into CTID. I HATE the sign at Owed Trafford, and my red shirt says IOU instead of AIG. I have not missed a match since I started, and do NOT intend to ever.

Oh, and the Shiehlk sent me a check.

So to OP, FU

This is what its all about and a BIG reason why big European clubs play friendlies overseas. Fair play to you Gymshoe....Have a GREAT time!<br /><br />-- Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:00 am --<br /><br />
warhawkmoski said:
Frank the Yank said:
Ok guys and girls lets not go nuts here. Lets be honest, football is NEVER going to be a big sport over here and will NEVER even come CLOSE to challenging baseball/Yank football. We hear the same stuff every World Cup and it just fizzles out after. There is a niche market for football fans here and it should be expoilted. But dont get visions of grandeur. If the big clubs come even to play friendlies, people will come. If we ever host the World Cup again, it will be huge-just like it was last time. Long term MLS wont flourish. Maybe a little niche but thats it. I have heard since 1974 that football will be the next big thing in America dn that America will be a world power and lift the World Cup within the next 12 years-aint gonna happen. I am just being realistic but I am not hating on anyone and dont want to dampen any enthusiasm here in America.

Actually, if you do a little research as to what the MLS is doing to develop youth academies around the country and some of the teenage talent that is coming through the system you would realize you are partially wrong. While yes, the game will never overtake the 3 big sports here, it is growing into a major sport and serious talent. The current wave of US senior team players are the wave that resulted after the '94 Cup. The wave that has been created by this current group is extremely talented and deep. I could go on and on about this but I won't waste the space. As Paul Revere screamed through the streets "The British are Coming, the British are Coming", the same can be said about the future of American soccer. "The Yanks are Coming, the Yanks are Coming." The game is a huge piece of dynamite here in the States right now and all it needs is a spark to ignite it, and many of the higher ups are hoping this current WC team will be that spark. While we have a tremendous long and hard road to travel to even come close to the World powers, we are making significant progress in both our domestic league and National team, and that cannot be ignore. It's taking time, but we have the right people in place making the right decisions.

I really disagree with you warhawk but thats OK. Only time will tell. If I could bet, I would bet a lot of money that the US National Team will not even make the SEMIfinals in the next 3 World Cups (not counting this one). That should be good news because I am not a very successful gambler. Lots of reasons for this and it could be an enitrely different thread. The main reason would be our best ahletes dont play football. They tend to play other, more popular/money making, sports.

I do hope I am wrong though.....

Who all is coming to Baltimore? I'm planning to drive 7 hours up to see City/Inter if I can save up some money. I'm going to sit on the City side if I can, hope all the tickets aren't spoken for yet...

Also, it will be interesting to see Balotelli play against his old team if we can snag him:
<a class="postlink" href="http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=804838&sec=transfers&cc=5901" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... rs&cc=5901</a>

Re:

BlueMoonOverNC said:
Who all is coming to Baltimore? I'm planning to drive 7 hours up to see City/Inter if I can save up some money. I'm going to sit on the City side if I can, hope all the tickets aren't spoken for yet...

Also, it will be interesting to see Balotelli play against his old team if we can snag him:
<a class="postlink" href="http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=804838&sec=transfers&cc=5901" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... rs&cc=5901</a>

got tickets with my 2 younger brothers sitting in the City supporters section! I'm a yank by the way! Can't wait even if it ends up being a mostly reserve side

I finally got Inter tickets on Thursday if anyone needs them just go to the Mad hatter NYC Site and follow directions on tour tix thread. Seats are in the City section behind the Goal and are $52 A PIECE. This thread is retarded.

The OP needs to stop living in the past.

Think of it this way also (averaging prices for the maths).

Home friendly at COMS

25k @ £15 = £375k. Shirt sales/food/etc = £125k
= £500k
Say we pay Valencia £100k to come here, that's £400k profit

Away friendly in the states

70k @ $50 = $3.5m

We probably receive a fee for coming ($1m), all costs paid for, and a cut (33% for both teams and the promoters) of all ticket prices over a certain amount (let's say $2m worth (to cover the guarantees)). We play 3 games, earning a guaranteed $1m, plus x3 $500k in ticket revenue. That's $2.5m before even taking into account shirt sales and sponsorship opportunities.

The club makes around £2m for a weeks work immediately (plus further benefits), play against high quality opposition, and the players get to bond in camp before a long season starts.

Turning down a few million just so a few thousand people (who can see the team play 60-odd times this season) can go to a game against inferior opposition is completely silly.

I left this forum two years ago because, more and more, it was becoming inundated with threads by OPs putting forth rock-stupid drivel like in this thread, and this one is right up there near the top.

No, I'm not from Manchester, and nor do I have any family ties to the city, but I have been a fan of the club since 1997, and for as hard as it's been sometimes - and often lonely, as well, as there aren't many other City fans in Nebraska, let alone football fans in general - I'm not going to throw 13 of my 27 years of my life away because a handful of mouthbreathing xenophobic bellends don't think City fans over here "deserve" it.

Maybe we do, and maybe we don't, but who cares so long as the club benefits from it? No North American Blue on this board has claimed to have done, and it's not our fucking fault City has discovered that it might rake in a bit more dosh if it plays some of its preseason friendlies overseas. I certainly wasn't cursing them over it when a friend and I shelled out north of $1500 just so that we could get out to the ruddy games and have a good place to stay for a few nights.

Give me a fucking break...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.