City's brand unaffected by FFP up from 8th to 5th in World

Re: City's brand unaffected by FFP up from 8th to 5th in Wor

squirtyflower said:
stony said:
Not gone down too well on rawk.

Was that brand report sponsored by etihad by any chance, laughable how they can be the fifth best football brand in the world over many established clubs like us,juventus ac milan ajax etc.

Aside from the fact that it takes future growth into consideration, we were formed and therefore "established" before any of the clubs he mentions.
They're gonna love the next few years.
they're getting more and more bitter as the penny drops further

had a Liverpool fan, who i hadn't known was a Liverpool fan for four years, give me a heap of grief on Thursday and that our fine wasn't big enough and we should be banned
oh how i laughed

I'm not sure what I want most. Liverpool to be hit with ffp next year or for them not to qualify.

bobbyowenquiff said:
TCIB said:
bobbyowenquiff said:
The funniest thing about all this is that we owe some of our success to the strength of United. We have always been reasonably well known as "the other club in Manchester". I have relatives the USA and even in the 90s their football-daft kids saw City as cool (probably because of the Madchester scene and Oasis)
City have positioned themselves skilfully (welcome to Manchester Tevez posters etc) as the community club with staunch local routes. We are a sort of "anti-United" brand. We are the alternative choice for sponsors and in this way we actually feed off United's brand. The City of Manchester itself is a strong international brand (alternative to London) so that helps as well.
So, as well as supporting us by filling up their cars with fuel, we have a lot to thank the rags for!

I lived in milwaukee and austin tx.
Nobody had ever heard about us, we owe nothing to united in such respects.
Even living in Holland barely anyone had ever heard of us.
100% disagree with you.

Perhaps the kids are different in Texas compared to Oregon I can assure you (from an impeccable source) that one of the reasons City were bought by the Abu Dhabi group was that they believed the fact we shared the same city (almost) as United was an opportunity for us in marketing terms.

I don't think you'll find anyone that would argue with that mate, but TCB is unfortunately right. You have no idea the amount of times I would walk into a sports store asking for Manchester City gear and be pointed over to a rag shirt. No one had heard of us and now everyone knows who we are. We are becoming known at exactlty the right time as well. The premier league is on in all the bars over here nowadays and all the new supporters want to follow a winner, not some has beens from down the rd.

TCIB said:
bobbyowenquiff said:
The funniest thing about all this is that we owe some of our success to the strength of United. We have always been reasonably well known as "the other club in Manchester". I have relatives the USA and even in the 90s their football-daft kids saw City as cool (probably because of the Madchester scene and Oasis)
City have positioned themselves skilfully (welcome to Manchester Tevez posters etc) as the community club with staunch local routes. We are a sort of "anti-United" brand. We are the alternative choice for sponsors and in this way we actually feed off United's brand. The City of Manchester itself is a strong international brand (alternative to London) so that helps as well.
So, as well as supporting us by filling up their cars with fuel, we have a lot to thank the rags for!

100% disagree with you.

I 100% agree with TCIB
We owe nothing to anyone. The only reason we were investable is because the fan base at City has remained loyal throughout. If the supporters had deserted the club in 1998/1999 we would never have attracted investment.
We supporters earned the right for investment... oh yeah
And big up to David Bernstein

stony said:

Was that brand report sponsored by etihad by any chance, laughable how they can be the fifth best football brand in the world over many established clubs like us,juventus ac milan ajax etc.

Aside from the fact that it takes future growth into consideration, we were formed and therefore "established" before any of the clubs he mentions.

I think it shows how little 'tradition and history counts' (in the context it is used as a throwaway comment towards City) - do sponsorship's really care that Liverpool have won 18 titles in the past, or do they care that City are the CURRENT champions, and that you wouldn't bet against us being the most successful club in England over the next 5 years. Exposure is the aim of the game, and it's a game we are winning.

stony said:

I sincerely hope we never become like them, using previous success as a legitimate means of having a pecking order of worthiness as a club. It wouldn't rankle quite so much if their fans weren't almost entirely oblivious to the maneuvers and manipulations that their club undertook to create such forceful barriers of entry to the top table. Barriers which made the spending of "obscene" amounts of money a necessity rather than a preference to joining the elite. Furthermore the suggestion that who are the leading clubs is something that isn't interchangeable is another absurd notion and one that fails to appreciate Liverpool's place in the footballing food chain prior to the 1960's.

What also marks them is their complete failure to absorb what is going on at City and to allow that to inform their thinking, such is the bile that consumes them in relation to our club. Anyone applying logic to the future strategic direction of City will come to realise that developing our own talent is a very real aspiration at the club. The evidence of this is very real and continues to further reveal itself as this year progresses. The notion, against that backdrop, that the club is only playing lip-service to developing youngsters to make it into the first team, is utterly comical and is based on emotion, rather than reason.

The penny will finally drop with many of them, in the next 18 months would be my reckoning, by which time we'll be over the horizon, as far as they're concerned.

As you say, the next few years are going to be uncomfortable viewing for them whenever they cast their eyes in our direction.

TCIB said:
bobbyowenquiff said:

100% disagree with you.

I can only speak for myself. I grew up in Cleveland and didn't actively follow professional football until 1996-97. Back in the mid-90's, before I was even interested in professional football, I realized I was a City fan for 2 primary reasons:

1) I despised United "fans" in the states who were clearly nothing more than front-runners of the most pathetic order. I remember thinking "whatever the exact opposite of that is - that's the way to go."

2) I loved Oasis.

So, at least for me, bobbyowenquiff's point is valid. I know one person does not represent the entire american market (or even a segment of it), but I've always viewed City as the "anti-United". The underdog, working-class, people's-club to United's wealthy, snobby, royalty-club. The working kids vs. the country club kids. Real fans vs. plastic front-running, glory-chasing, band-wagon fans. The irony, of course, is that City's spike in brand popularity suggests all those fake fans are trading in their red for sky blue.

It's also worth pointing out that in nearly 20 years, whenever I've worn a City shirt or jacket, I've only heard two types of comments (again, this is all stateside):

1) Some comment along the lines of "Oh, you like Manchester CITY, not United? How did that come about?

2) What do you think of the new Oasis album? (nowadays, "when do you think Oasis will get back together?")

The biggest effect is all good.
We are officially massive, and catching up year on year

Next season's measures will be well interesting as the pond life have no place in Europe.
Real chance to bridge the gap as far as branding goes.

I hope we remain excited, and never become as arrogant as those fuck whit rags have been over the rag years.

We're not really ere, right

Never win at home and never win away....

Keep our feet on the ground and aim for the stars !

piddylolo said:
TCIB said:
bobbyowenquiff said:

100% disagree with you.

I can only speak for myself. I grew up in Cleveland and didn't actively follow professional football until 1996-97. Back in the mid-90's, before I was even interested in professional football, I realized I was a City fan for 2 primary reasons:

1) I despised United "fans" in the states who were clearly nothing more than front-runners of the most pathetic order. I remember thinking "whatever the exact opposite of that is - that's the way to go."

2) I loved Oasis.

So, at least for me, bobbyowenquiff's point is valid. I know one person does not represent the entire american market (or even a segment of it), but I've always viewed City as the "anti-United". The underdog, working-class, people's-club to United's wealthy, snobby, royalty-club. The working kids vs. the country club kids. Real fans vs. plastic front-running, glory-chasing, band-wagon fans. The irony, of course, is that City's spike in brand popularity suggests all those fake fans are trading in their red for sky blue.

It's also worth pointing out that in nearly 20 years, whenever I've worn a City shirt or jacket, I've only heard two types of comments (again, this is all stateside):

1) Some comment along the lines of "Oh, you like Manchester CITY, not United? How did that come about?

2) What do you think of the new Oasis album? (nowadays, "when do you think Oasis will get back together?")

Great post piddy, I always like hearing about oversees blues who supported us before the revolution.
I went to Chicago on holiday in 2001 and wore my City shirt in a few bars. Apart from the two girls from Manchester we kept bumping into, no one had heard of City.

Indeed stony, i enjoy reading such stories of how people ended up blue.

Nice post piddy mate, post more often :-)

gordondaviesmoustache said:
stony said:

I sincerely hope we never become like them, using previous success as a legitimate means of having a pecking order of worthiness as a club. It wouldn't rankle quite so much if their fans weren't almost entirely oblivious to the maneuvers and manipulations that their club undertook to create such forceful barriers of entry to the top table. Barriers which made the spending of "obscene" amounts of money a necessity rather than a preference to joining the elite. Furthermore the suggestion that who are the leading clubs is something that isn't interchangeable is another absurd notion and one that fails to appreciate Liverpool's place in the footballing food chain prior to the 1960's.

What also marks them is their complete failure to absorb what is going on at City and to allow that to inform their thinking, such is the bile that consumes them in relation to our club. Anyone applying logic to the future strategic direction of City will come to realise that developing our own talent is a very real aspiration at the club. The evidence of this is very real and continues to further reveal itself as this year progresses. The notion, against that backdrop, that the club is only playing lip-service to developing youngsters to make it into the first team, is utterly comical and is based on emotion, rather than reason.

The penny will finally drop with many of them, in the next 18 months would be my reckoning, by which time we'll be over the horizon, as far as they're concerned.

As you say, the next few years are going to be uncomfortable viewing for them whenever they cast their eyes in our direction.

I enjoyed reading this post GDM. As you say, the evidence is as clear as a Colin. When you add the development of unmatched facilities to the immense improvement in the structure and results of our Youth teams, from 11 years all the way through to EDS, the opposition should be very, very afraid.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.