City's wage bill

If people are being honest with ourselves they will see that we are stuck with the likes of RSC, Kolo and Bridge. All had their chances under two different managers and all were nothing more than mediocre. I would put all of them in the 50-60k a week bracket, but they will definitely be earning more than that at City. Hardly anyone will pay that so they will either get a big pay off to leave or we are stuck with them. So in that way it is already causing us problems. Robinho is another one who no-one else can afford, although no-one was complaining about that when he signed.

In regard to negotiating new deals I would expect incoming signings to be asking for big wages anyway - everyone knows what Sheikh Mansour is worth and their agents are going to be seeking the biggest deal they can get. I am hopeful though that Cook and Marwood are no longer bending over for players and I am happy to wait a little bit longer for the likes of Balotelli if that is the case.

In the longer term City's wage bill will depend on how much the owners can increase the sustainable turnover of the club.

Our turnover in 2007/08 was about £80m. If the club can win titles, achieve regular CL status, market the club outside the UK, increase the home support, generate improved genuine sponsorship etc it will still be an achievement if the owners can double our turnover. Chelse managed to increase their turnover to around £200m but they probably have a more affluent fan base than City and started from a higher base.

If we can achieve a sustainable turnover of say £175m we could probably afford a wage bill of around £90-£100m once Mansoor decides that he has invested enough in the club.

cibaman said:
In the longer term City's wage bill will depend on how much the owners can increase the sustainable turnover of the club.

Our turnover in 2007/08 was about £80m. If the club can win titles, achieve regular CL status, market the club outside the UK, increase the home support, generate improved genuine sponsorship etc it will still be an achievement if the owners can double our turnover. Chelse managed to increase their turnover to around £200m but they probably have a more affluent fan base than City and started from a higher base.

If we can achieve a sustainable turnover of say £175m we could probably afford a wage bill of around £90-£100m once Mansoor decides that he has invested enough in the club.

At that point I can see the average wage for the top players coming down, as clubs try to work within the financial framework, they certainly won't continue to rise in the way that they have recently - admittedly due to us as much as anyone. We would also hope to be attracting players without dangling a huge pay cheque in front of them by then. Although I find the timing of Platini's rules incredibly frustrating it will be interesting to see how things work out over the next five years.

I think there should be a structure in place at City that states that players can only earn, let's say, a maximum of £75-100k/wk on an initial contract. Maybe £50-75k/wk if you're U21. Then as time progresses you may be awarded improved contracts based on games played, performances, targets met, trophies won, influence in the team etc.

Rather than us spend a fortune of £17.5million on somebody worth £5m who spent 80% of the whole season injured. Or if a certain player doesn't fit in, doesn't like the club, the city, the country, and we want to sell him a year later - we're not going to be stuck with them because no other team can meet their wages, therefore nobody will buy him.

danburge82 said:
I think there should be a structure in place at City that states that players can only earn, let's say, a maximum of £75-100k/wk on an initial contract. Maybe £50-75k/wk if you're U21. Then as time progresses you may be awarded improved contracts based on games played, performances, targets met, trophies won, influence in the team etc.

Rather than us spend a fortune of £17.5million on somebody worth £5m who spent 80% of the whole season injured. Or if a certain player doesn't fit in, doesn't like the club, the city, the country, and we want to sell him a year later - we're not going to be stuck with them because no other team can meet their wages, therefore nobody will buy him.

Can you name a single major club with a wage structure like that?

Don't believe all the rumours of wages you read in a tabloid.

FFS they were even stupid enough to suggest that Yaya was on £220k a week, also how would the press know what a player is on at City or any other club, what do the players do?....fax a hack their contract?

The wage bill will be bigger than Portsmouth's but smaller than United's......fuck all to worry about.

I wish City fans would stop believing this bollocks about massive wages in the papers, or even that Balotelli has not signed due to wages, he agreed Balotelli to join City on what they offered him, City and Inter though have not agreed a fee.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.