Classic Album Overrated/Underrated Discussion

Fair enough. Guess it depends what we read. I remember Q loving it, I remember Melody Maker loving it. NME probably hated it, but then they hated anyone over the age of 20 back then.

Q did give it a good review but spent years back tracking that opinion and are famous for asking the question: Are Tin Machine crap?

Q did give it a good review but spent years back tracking that opinion and are famous for asking the question: Are Tin Machine crap?

Oh sure, absolutely. Opinions change over time. The Who's Quadrophenia got pretty mixed reviews at the time, but is now arguably thought of as their best album. My opinion of Tin Machine hasn't changed though ;-)

Montrose is an awesome album.

I saw the Ronnie Montrose Band play a few months before he killed himself. It was one of the best shows I've seen in a small club. None of the original members of the Montrose where with him but everybody was on their feet chanting his name by the the end of the night. He was truly as good as an axeman as any of his contemporaries (Eddie Van Halen, Jimmy Page, Ritchie Blackmore) and he even pulled out some old nuggets from Gamma his project after Montrose. He was the sideman to Van Morrison, Herbie Hancock, Boz Scaggs and Edgar Winter.... the list goes on and on. I am glad that his old fans were able to make him feel good even if it was only for one more tour.

Oh sure, absolutely. Opinions change over time. The Who's Quadrophenia got pretty mixed reviews at the time, but is now arguably thought of as their best album. My opinion of Tin Machine hasn't changed though ;-)

Opinions certainly can change over time as do tastes. Must admit I rate Quadrophenia more highly now than when I first bought it but I still rate Who's Next as their best and I reckon it would still get the majority vote. It's definitely the highest placed Who album on that list of 3000 although I think it should be higher than #35.

I saw the Ronnie Montrose Band play a few months before he killed himself. It was one of the best shows I've seen in a small club. None of the original members of the Montrose where with him but everybody was on their feet chanting his name by the the end of the night. He was truly as good as an axeman as any of his contemporaries (Eddie Van Halen, Jimmy Page, Ritchie Blackmore) and he even pulled out some old nuggets from Gamma his project after Montrose. He was the sideman to Van Morrison, Herbie Hancock, Boz Scaggs and Edgar Winter.... the list goes on and on. I am glad that his old fans were able to make him feel good even if it was only for one more tour.

I saw Gamma play the Free Trade Hall in Manchester.

Opinions certainly can change over time as do tastes. Must admit I rate Quadrophenia more highly now than when I first bought it but I still rate Who's Next as their best and I reckon it would still get the majority vote. It's definitely the highest placed Who album on that list of 3000 although I think it should be higher than #35.
"Who's Next" is in my all time Top 10 for sure. An album full of strong songs from first to last. Like the cover, it pisses all over the competition.

Yep, that's the obvious one. And of course the one that got away, partly because Lifehouse failed and partly because of the quality of the songs Glyn Johns inexplicably left off the final cut -the gorgeous Pure and Easy, Let's See Action, Join Together etc etc. Who's Next is a great album, but it could and should have been even better. And I think that slightly colours my view of an album I still love.

I saw Gamma play the Free Trade Hall in Manchester.

I would have liked to have seen that show. That band had Davey Patterson who went on to sing with Robin Trower. I would have loved to have seen the Robin Trower Band when they had Reg Isadore and James Dewar. I still talk to old heshers who saw that act and say they were unbeatable live. Dewar was such an underrated lead singer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.