Classic Rock (Phil Collins lives, run for the hills)

“How Soon Is Now?” does pass for “classic rock” now IMO. So does “Smells Like Teen Spirit”, “I Will Follow”, “Fall On Me” and “Wonderwall.”

How Soon Is Now? it has to be said is awesome and the reason I had to buy a Smiths compilation but I draw the line there on anything involving Mozza.

Although I'm a fan, I don't tend to think of Oasis as CR but given their influences, they kind of fit.

I'd sat Grunge kind of marks the end of CR era and scrapes in. Newer bands that play in a style inspired by the music of the CR era are fair game in my view e.g. Blackberry Smoke and a band I finally acquainted myself this week: Bigfoot. It's a broad church though and I have no power to set rules.

How Soon Is Now? it has to be said is awesome and the reason I had to buy a Smiths compilation but I draw the line there on anything involving Mozza.

Although I'm a fan, I don't tend to think of Oasis as CR but given their influences, they kind of fit.

I'd sat Grunge kind of marks the end of CR era and scrapes in. Newer bands that play in a style inspired by the music of the CR era are fair game in my view e.g. Blackberry Smoke and a band I finally acquainted myself this week: Bigfoot. It's a broad church though and I have no power to set rules.
I think we should just retitle the thread “arena rock” and go from there :)

Seriously, Nirvana finally killed classic rock although it was first wounded by The Pistols and The Ramones. Once U2 and The Clash started taking over and headlining shows in 60K seat open stadiums in the early 80s, that was the near-fatal blow.

But as all ills can be blamed on him and are on Bluemoon, I’d suggest Phil Collins also had a hand in the murder of classic rock by putting his “woe is me; I’m getting divorced” songs on Duke in 1980. And someone also needs to blame Trevor Horn for Buggles and 90-numbers-etc.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.