Classic Rock (Phil Collins lives, run for the hills)

I'll just quietly place this here as a bit of a mood changer. The genius of KB.

Influencer to many many artists, a unique talent from when she was 17 and remains so. My favourite musician bar none. God bless her.

It is something of a return to form.

Styx peak has to the The Grand Illusion, which is probably one of my 10/10 albums. In fact, there's an obscure reference to Styx in the latest title of the thread. The headline in Sounds on the review by Geoff Barton of Styx's Grand Illusion was Pomp Rock Lives, Run for the Hills.

Have I ever mentioned that I once saw two Styx gigs sandwiched in between four Van Halen gigs? That was the year before Paradise Theater was released.
No don’t think you’ve mentioned it :). I actually enjoyed the previous album, Mission, but didn’t think it was a very ‘Styx’ sound, in fact the vocals on it sometimes reminded me of Chris De Burgh ( Don’t pay the ferryman , not Woman in red era ). This album I think is much more of the Styx sound especially the vocal harmonies.
Depending which day you ask me my top Styx album goes from Grand Illusion to Pieces of Eight.

Reactions: OB1
No don’t think you’ve mentioned it :). I actually enjoyed the previous album, Mission, but didn’t think it was a very ‘Styx’ sound, in fact the vocals on it sometimes reminded me of Chris De Burgh ( Don’t pay the ferryman , not Woman in red era ). This album I think is much more of the Styx sound especially the vocal harmonies.
Depending which day you ask me my top Styx album goes from Grand Illusion to Pieces of Eight.

I quite like The Mission.

Love Pieces of Eight.

Styx - can’t decide between The Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight as both are brilliant.
Although my interest cooled after Cornerstone I did see them Live on the Paradise Theater tour which was simply awesome.
I did buy Cyclorama a while back and that was more like the Styx of old.

Styx - can’t decide between The Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight as both are brilliant.
Although my interest cooled after Cornerstone I did see them Live on the Paradise Theater tour which was simply awesome.
I did buy Cyclorama a while back and that was more like the Styx of old.
Yes, Cyclorama is another good album, think Crash of the crown is better.
Thing with a lot of these classic bands, they lost their way in the eighties and nineties, but over the last 10 - 15 years a few things have happened to them
First a realisation that they are getting on so if they don’t make the music they really like then they never will
Second, whatever album they put out probably won’t sell loads or gain new fans, so put out a really good album with their own sound they and older fans will enjoy.
Thirdly a few of these bands have had injections of ‘younger members’ that were fans of the band and know what fans want but with new energy.
I know that puts some people off, but I say embrace it and listen because nobody else is playing this stuff. Except maybe Cats in Space.
Kansas are another beneficiary of this their last 2 albums are up with their best Prelude implicit and Abscence of prescence both great albums. They are also playing great live versions of songs they haven’t done for years simply because Steve Walsh couldn’t anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: OB1
A to Z of Classic Rock
The letter F

another hard one for me to decide between Frost and Foreigner.

I loved Foreigner back in the old Vinyl days. Double Vision, Dirty White Boy and Urgent were fantastic tracks. I lost touch with them after Agent Provocateur as I did with many other bands at that time.

Frost are a prog band with the occasional pop/rock ingredient. Led by Jem Godfrey and the criminally underrated John Mitchell they have released four studio albums to date. My favourite is still Milliontown which includes the epic title track and equally wonderful Black Light Machine.

I first heard of The Flower Kings via a free Cd with a Prog magazine.
I went and bought Paradox Hotel which has some really good cuts on it including the title track and the excellent instrumental Pioneers of Aviation. The follow up album Sum of all Fears did not sound so good. In isolation some tracks are fine but they seem to record absolutely every idea they think of.
Other bands include
Fair Port Convention
Free
Funeral for a Friend
Faith no More
Fall out Boy
Faster Pussycat
Feeder
Five Finger Death Punch
Fleetwood Mac
Flying Colours
Foo Fighters

and finally did you know that there was a supergroup made up of members from Franz Ferdinand and Sparks imaginatively titled FFS

A to Z of Classic Rock
The letter F

another hard one for me to decide between Frost and Foreigner.

I loved Foreigner back in the old Vinyl days. Double Vision, Dirty White Boy and Urgent were fantastic tracks. I lost touch with them after Agent Provocateur as I did with many other bands at that time.

Frost are a prog band with the occasional pop/rock ingredient. Led by Jem Godfrey and the criminally underrated John Mitchell they have released four studio albums to date. My favourite is still Milliontown which includes the epic title track and equally wonderful Black Light Machine.

I first heard of The Flower Kings via a free Cd with a Prog magazine.
I went and bought Paradox Hotel which has some really good cuts on it including the title track and the excellent instrumental Pioneers of Aviation. The follow up album Sum of all Fears did not sound so good. In isolation some tracks are fine but they seem to record absolutely every idea they think of.
Other bands include
Fair Port Convention
Free
Funeral for a Friend
Faith no More
Fall out Boy
Faster Pussycat
Feeder
Five Finger Death Punch
Fleetwood Mac
Flying Colours
Foo Fighters

and finally did you know that there was a supergroup made up of members from Franz Ferdinand and Sparks imaginatively titled FFS
Like Flying colours,Flower Kings are good, though they do like the long album, some too long. Add Fates Warning to the list too, they’ve done some very good prog metal albums. I prefer the later ones with less of the high pitched vocals.

Last edited:
fabulous thunderbirds

facedancer

faces

fagen, donald

fairport convention

farnham, john

faster pussycat

felder, don

ferguson, jay

ferry, bryan

firefall

firm, the

fish

fleetwood mac

flying burrito brothers

flying colors

focus

fogerty, john

foghat

foley, ellen

foo fighters

ford lita

foreigner

fortress

frampton, peter

free

frehley, ace

frey, glenn

fabulous thunderbirds

facedancer

faces

fagen, donald

fairport convention

farnham, john

faster pussycat

felder, don

ferguson, jay

ferry, bryan

firefall

firm, the

fish

fleetwood mac

flying burrito brothers

flying colors

focus

fogerty, john

foghat

foley, ellen

foo fighters

ford lita

foreigner

fortress

frampton, peter

free

frehley, ace

frey, glenn
You forgot Family with the wonderful Roger Chapman. Good list though mate.h

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.