Classic Rock (Phil Collins lives, run for the hills)

Interesting video. Phenomenal piece of music and my favourite from Yes. That particular version of the band may just be the most technically accomplished rock band ever?
I agree that they have no superiors on a technical level.
I have often heard people say that Roundabout is overplayed.
If so it’s because it’s bloody brilliant. Easily in my Top Ten Yes tracks of all time.

I am not into Prog at all really. But yup, Roundabout is a fantastic song.
Me neither really, but spent lockdown etc decided as I do like Rush, there must be some prog I like so have spent the ladt 18 months listening to prog, old and new and some prog metal.
Anyway, from the old school prog still a lot I ‘m not keen on, but my top Yes albums would be Fragile and roundabout, Drama, 91025 and Closer to the edge, Going for the one, the rest not for me.
Genesis fared less well, only really 3 albums I thought were any good. Did like a lot of the Jethro Tull ones though.

Reactions: OB1
Me neither really, but spent lockdown etc decided as I do like Rush, there must be some prog I like so have spent the ladt 18 months listening to prog, old and new and some prog metal.
Anyway, from the old school prog still a lot I ‘m not keen on, but my top Yes albums would be Fragile and roundabout, Drama, 91025 and Closer to the edge, Going for the one, the rest not for me.
Genesis fared less well, only really 3 albums I thought were any good. Did like a lot of the Jethro Tull ones though.

Some mates when we were in our teens (mid 70's) were (and still are) very into Prog, and I got to hear a lot of the bands through them in the day. Even saw a good few, Yes, Genesis, Tull, Camel, Gentle Giant, Barclay James Harvest, Van Der Graaf Generator were a few. (Rush with a then girlfriend) A gig with mates was a good night out, and a couple were entertaining, (fell asleep at Gentle Giant and Camel though) but on the whole they didn't float my boat.

Then when I also got into New Wave, then Indie, they fell right off my radar. If any such bands come on the radio, I will listen to them (Apart from Pink Floyd which means I have to change station immediately, lol) and I get the appeal to many. I think the thing with Roundabout is Squire's bass playing .... I am a sucker for a Rickey!!

NB, as I type, Planet Rock is playing a Rush song ..... I may be hallucinating, but ffs, they are rapping on it! Lmfao.

Camel, Gentle Giant, Barclay James Harvest, Van Der Graaf Generator were a few.
Tried all them in my lockdown exploring, and Pink Floyd, still don't like any of those..The only older bands I've found myself liking and going out to buy are Jethro Tull, the Yes albums I mentioned and Kansas albums, Marillion too I quite like but ignored at the time..
I have found a few newer bands I like though Transatlantic, Flying Colours, Spocks Breard , and a couple of the prog metal bands like Dream Theater, Threshold,Vanden Plas.

Last edited:
My favourite Yes album would be:

1. Siberian Katru
2. Heart of the Sunrise
3. I’ve seen all good people/The Fish

4. Close to the Edge
5. Awaken
6. Owner of a lonely heart
7. Roundabout

all recorded live as I prefer their live heavier sound to the more pristine studio recording.

1. Siberian Katru
2. Heart of the Sunrise

4. Close to the Edge
5. Awaken
7. Roundabout

all recorded live as I prefer their live heavier sound to the more pristine studio recording.
I’ve ordered The Quest so will review here in a couple of weeks.
I’ll have to have a good think about my ultimate Yes album.

1. Siberian Katru
2. Heart of the Sunrise

4. Close to the Edge
5. Awaken
7. Roundabout

Lol, I don’t think that would be a vinyl album ;-)

1. owner
2. Shoot high aim low
3. It can happen
4. Don’t Kill the whale.

5. On the silent wings of freedom
6. Starship trooper
7. awaken

Lol, I don’t think that would be a vinyl album ;-)

1. owner
2. Shoot high aim low
3. It can happen
4. Don’t Kill the whale.

5. On the silent wings of freedom
6. Starship trooper
7. awaken

Hard to do much of a best of Yes without running to a double album on vinyl but I think I'd need a double cd.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.