Climate Change is here and man made

Skashion said:
Sea ice does not contribute to sea level rises. The East Antarctic ice sheet is the issue because that's on land, and hence does contribute to sea level rises when it melts. The East Antarctic ice sheet, which contains 60+% of the world's fresh water, is gaining mass.

Wat. Are you suggesting the Archimedes Princile works for freshwater in saltwater?

SWP's back said:
You sure about sea ice contributing more than land ice Damocles?

Go get a glass, fill it nearly to the top and put some ice cubes in.

Report Ba k what happens to the level when it melts.

It#ll be the same as when the ice was put in ?

I'm Enjoying this discussion...

popcorn.jpg

SWP's back said:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/7645112/Melting-sea-ice-would-cause-sea-levels-to-rise-by-hairs-breadth.html

If all the floating ice in the world melted it would cause sea levels to rise by just 4cm. In comparison if all the ice on land melted it would cause a rise of 70m.

4cm and 70m and I moved all the way to Bolivia I could have just moved into a penthouse.

stonerblue said:
SWP's back said:

It won't. These guys are remembering the Archimedes Principle which says that an object immersed in a fluid is buoyed up by a force equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces.

Unfortunately, the density of freshwater and saltwater are not the same. Freshwater has a greater volume than the equivalent saltwater thus raises the water more than it was displaced as it has more melt water.

stonerblue said:
SWP's back said:

For all intents and purposes yeah mate.

Damocles said:
Wat. Are you suggesting the Archimedes Princile works for freshwater in saltwater?
Hilarious that you think I'm being the idiot here. You're claiming sea ice is the bigger problem that people are more arsed about when you're fannying about with the relative weights of ice and sea water, which amounts to less than 2% of sea level rise.

*edit, far less than 2% if the link SWP's Back used is correct.

Skashion said:
Damocles said:
Hilarious that you think I'm being the idiot here. You're claiming sea ice is the bigger problem that people are more arsed about when you're fannying about with the relative weights of ice and sea water, which amounts to less than 2% of sea level rise.

No I'm not at all. I'm suggesting that the amount of sea ice that is being created is the problem. That's why I said:

"Sea ice is the thing that people are arsed about as like an ice cube in a glass it contributes more to sea level changes"

How's about you just assume from now on that I actually know what I'm talking about so we can stop any further miscommunications and start looking at science?

EDIT: For the record, as I've mentioned, EAST Antarctic land ice mass increased recently whilst the overall Antartic ice mass went down. You have yet to respond to this.

Damocles said:
No I'm not at all. I'm suggesting that the amount of sea ice that is being created is the problem. That's why I said:

"Sea ice is the thing that people are arsed about as like an ice cube in a glass it contributes more to sea level changes"

How's about you just assume from now on that I actually know what I'm talking about so we can stop any further miscommunications and start looking at science?
I was just going to quote that right back at you. Sea ice is a tiny insignificant problem. It doesn't contribute more to sea level change. It contributes far far far far less. 4cm vs 70m of sea level rise using the link SWP's Back provided.

No, actually, I'm not going to assume that at all. I've taken a huge swerve away from that assumption and am now wondering whether you have a fucking clue.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.