Climate Change is here and man made

I think that's a pretty rose-tinted view (yours and @Chippy_boy ) and one often spouted from generations who have lived through a period where national-vested interests have predetermined foreign policy and seeped into their own way of thinking. Thinking because we live in the UK and won't be hit as hard as poorer countries in the eye of the storm shows a fundamental lack of understanding of how this is a true global crisis. You think we have a problem with immigration now, wait till vast swaths of land is inhabitable!

Yes this is going to sound negative and depressing but comparing Y2K to the climate crisis is well, fucking deluded, and you can brand me as fear mongering all you like.

Mass migration, starvation, extreme weather conditions, billions worth of damage caused by extreme weather each year, global and unprecedented levels of unemployment, loss of mass wildlife, vegetation, livestock and habitats... these are things we are starting to see and will regularly see within 10 years. That's the crux of the UN report and what you could describe as a realistic assessment. Labelling these people fear mongers does nobody any favours. And if you think we can just dust off our shoulders and get on with everyday life is stupid. I mean you've just lived through a pandemic where our lives have become, fair to say, worse, yet this is nothing compared to what climate change could bring in a decade.

To your point on technology advancement, let's just hope it saves us from climate armageddon because we need to ensure we reverse the heating process and right now, governments don't know how to, certainly not in time. Let me ask you this, what good is it if you can identify cancer earlier in patients if you don't have the resources anymore to treat them? Unless you're wealthy and can access those high-end treatments which, trust me, won't be available to Tom, Dick and Harry on the NHS.

There is a way out of this and I do think countries will step up but again to go back to your Y2k analogy; if we close our eyes and hope it will be okay it fucking ain't this time.

Anyway I depress myself so apologies but, I just call it how I see it. Cheers.
Kin ell

I remember when Y2K was going to set the world into a tail spin and for me I got a well paid job involved in the response however to be truthful it was an unnecessary one.
Comparing climate change to Y2K in anyway whatsoever means you’ve lost the argument before it’s begun. Absolutely moronic analogy. It’s akin to saying because I didn’t get cancer from eating lettuce it’s safe to smoke 60 Woodbines a day. Calling your reasoning simplistic doesn’t even begin to do it justice.

Yes this is going to sound negative and depressing but comparing Y2K to the climate crisis is well, fucking deluded, and you can brand me as fear mongering all you like.
You’re dealing with semi senile retired boomer that wouldn’t understand climate change if his life depended on it and wouldn’t give a fuck about later generations that it will affect even if he could understand.

He’s our resident alright-Jack antipodean.

At last the voice of reason appears on this thread and just like we developed a vaccine for covid in record time we will cope with any adverse impacts from changes in the climate.

I remember when Y2K was going to set the world into a tail spin and for me I got a well paid job involved in the response however to be truthful it was an unnecessary one.

Don't get me wrong we have challenging issues like the emergence of China and their agenda which I think is a bigger threat to world order then Climate Change and the fact China will largely turn a blind eye to climate change while it remains under CCP rule but the future is much brighter than this fear mongering of some with an agenda to do so would have you believe.

the next 100 years could see some here to unimaginable developments in AI , medical cures for cancer and other disease just a pity chippy boy and myself won't be around to see them.

Fuck me talk about burying your head in the sand and then laying 10 inches of cement over the top just to be sure.

No offense, but people like you are part of the problem.

I think that's a pretty rose-tinted view (yours and @Chippy_boy ) and one often spouted from generations who have lived through a period where national-vested interests have predetermined foreign policy and seeped into their own way of thinking. Thinking because we live in the UK and won't be hit as hard as poorer countries in the eye of the storm shows a fundamental lack of understanding of how this is a true global crisis. You think we have a problem with immigration now, wait till vast swaths of land is inhabitable!

Mass migration, starvation, extreme weather conditions, billions worth of damage caused by extreme weather each year, global and unprecedented levels of unemployment, loss of mass wildlife, vegetation, livestock and habitats... these are things we are starting to see and will regularly see within 10 years. That's the crux of the UN report and what you could describe as a realistic assessment. Labelling these people fear mongers does nobody any favours. And if you think we can just dust off our shoulders and get on with everyday life is stupid. I mean you've just lived through a pandemic where our lives have become, fair to say, worse, yet this is nothing compared to what climate change could bring in a decade.

To your point on technology advancement, let's just hope it saves us from climate armageddon because we need to ensure we reverse the heating process and right now, governments don't know how to, certainly not in time. Let me ask you this, what good is it if you can identify cancer earlier in patients if you don't have the resources anymore to treat them? Unless you're wealthy and can access those high-end treatments which, trust me, won't be available to Tom, Dick and Harry on the NHS.

There is a way out of this and I do think countries will step up but again to go back to your Y2k analogy; if we close our eyes and hope it will be okay it fucking ain't this time.

Anyway I depress myself so apologies but, I just call it how I see it. Cheers.
Each country has their own issues and means of deciding how they respond whether its technology , taxes or whatever , all have a role to pay , individuals , community m government and the like.

I am far more positive about the future than you obviously are and much of the press and reports and modelling you base your fear on is an understanding of how the climate behaves to change and what COULD HAPPEN as you allude to.

I remember as a child when they wrote off the Great Barrier Reef due to excessive bleaching and natural enemies like the crown of thorn I only used Y2K not as a comparison to climate change but how fear dictates not only a negative response but also a positive response.

The reef is in the best shape it has been for 50 years now.

As for your other predictions we already have those in abundance such as extreme weather , migration , starvation and unprecedented levels of unemployment through out history well before climate scientists started the dialogue on global warming.

C02 is critical for life without it you wouldn't be on this planet , climate change is an issue but I can assure you it won't be the reason humans become extinct on this planet in their billions.

As for the pandemic cast your mind back hundred years when 500 million from a population of 1.8 blillion became infected and killed 50 million in relatively quick time.

I do agree with you when you say your view on mass destruction on a global scale is inevitable if we don't reverse global warming is depressing.

Just do your bit my boy and reduce your own footprint but don't rely on governments throughout the world to act as one as China and India and other developing countries increase their C02 emissions in the years and decades to come.

For 50 years the UN have been saying we have 10 years or so to reverse the trend or its the end of humanity as we know it.

they remind me a lot like the WHO was said early on masks don't matter when it comes to the spread of covid , their is no pandemic and it didn't come from China or a lab and its fine to continue to get on a plane and be a global citizen before a change of heart some months later when it became obvious they were somewhat off the mark.

I know chippy boy's descendants and mine will have a much better life and opportunity to fulfil their lives ambitions and a longer life in fact than me and my ancestors had.

Don't depress yourself over this , you can be a glass half full person when it comes to climate change.

If City lose their first ten games I will start to think of the R word again (LOL) but life is full of unexpected outcomes and very unpredictable just ask the climate scientists and health bureaucrats whose decisions have driven the response to covid.

Comparing climate change to Y2K in anyway whatsoever means you’ve lost the argument before it’s begun. Absolutely moronic analogy. It’s akin to saying because I didn’t get cancer from eating lettuce it’s safe to smoke 60 Woodbines a day. Calling your reasoning simplistic doesn’t even begin to do it justice.
I replied to another poster who incorrectly concluded I was comparing climate change to Y2K gordon and you have read my posts on this subject for a while now so you should know better.

I was talking about fear and hysteria and how it impacts on the mind in comparing reactions and frothing on the mouth.

your analogy is bizarre at best and has nothing to do with fear or alarmism and woe is me which achieves nothing and I must say often is deceptively equated to " reality ".

there are many benefits from warming the planet as well better crops , food production , greening etc which are always overlooked just for starters.

There are more polar bears on the plant than their were in the 1970's another fact the climate alarmists also overlook these days.

This is not an argument Gordon not in my case anyway as you allude to and jump on I agree the planet has warmed around a degree in the past 100 years and man made emissions has contributed to this.

if not for the industrial revolution in your country gordon you probably wouldn't have been around to draw poor conclusions to my post.

Calm down a little before you spout this stuff of yours and look at the facts and the science we are probably on the same ticket with some minor exceptions.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.