Climate Change is here and man made

To save me trawling the whole thread, could someone tell me whether I need a big coat or a pair of speedos ?
Ta

corky1970 said:
blueish swede said:
Corky, I think you are missing the point somewhat.

Global warming is happening at a faster rate than has ever been previously observed (looking at geological record etc). This increase in the warming rate is due to human activity. CO2 is a green house gas, it absorbs the suns energy reflected from the earths surface and holds it in the atmosphere causing an increase in temperature.

We are in the middle of an extinction event right now. It may not be obvious to us in our daily lives but it is predicted that by the end of this century half of all species will have become extinct. The direct effect on people isn't important, or the effect on pandas, elephants, tigers or polar bears. It is the effect on trees and insects that is the biggest threat. If they cannot adapt fast enough as the climate changes then we are all totally screwed.

man being a **** with a gun is the reason Panda's elephants and tigers are diminished, not because its got a bit toastie !!

Men throwing garbage in the seas is also a reason why so many fish are dieing. Polar bears adapted to like the frozen north, due to climate change, i am sure they will adapt to not like the frozen north. If not, they can go fuck themselves, who needs then anyways?

Anyone harbouring any doubt about the futility of the green lobby in altering human behaviour need only look to the story of the Easter Island statues.

These were made by competing tribes on the island as a mutual show of strength. Their transportation and erection required a tremendous amount of timber, which was harnessed from the island's forests. Such was the grip that this craze had on the island's inhabitants that it was completely deforested within a few decades. There must have been a point where a tribe looked upon the island and realised that they were cutting down the last tree, considered the consequences and maybe even considered the absurdity of what they had done and then carried on to cut the last tree down anyway.

Human beings will stop using oil when it runs out or becomes more expensive (in real terms) than any viable alternatives and I'm afraid to say that any impact on the world's climate will merely be a sideshow and a talking shop to the main event: human greed, innovation and insanity.

blueish swede said:
BulgarianPride said:
Climate change has occurred thousands of times in the past, why is this time different?

The difference is that this time we're around and its going to affect us.

99% of all species that have ever lived are now extinct and we will be no different.

£200 on your gas bill will not alter the fact one bit or slow down our demise!

blueish swede said:
BulgarianPride said:
Climate change has occurred thousands of times in the past, why is this time different?

The difference is that this time we're around and its going to affect us.

We were always around, and we've always managed a way to survive. That is when we were primates, and early primitive men. We've come a long way sense then, so why do you think we are at such risk?

asgoodasitgets said:
To save me trawling the whole thread, could someone tell me whether I need a big coat or a pair of speedos ?
Ta

Speedos mate. Manchester will have a beach and in hundreds of years people will talk about the legendary lost city of Liverpool (not got quite the same ring to it as Atlantis).

Skashion said:
Damocles said:
We know more than enough, you're out of date, go and do some research.

EDIT: And a 200ft seas level rise is a prediction of a model based upon Greenland and parts of the Arctic melting. I have no idea where you've goten thousands of years from. I'm not sure you understand the logarithmic effect of warming climate
Such a lazy response from you. I'll just quote an old post:

For a lazy comment. I told you that you're out of date. You counter by showing me a report from 5 years ago.

Skashion said:
LOSU is low in some radiative forcings

So? The ones that have a high LoSU all show huge warming. The others we aren't really sure about yet but have a general idea of. I cannot fathom that you do not believe the LoSU to be on the conservative side here for an IPCC paper published 5 years ago nor do I believe that you are not clever enough to use simple additioin to add up the best case screnario of low LoSU forcings against the best case scenario of high LoSU forcings and still see a 5 degree warming. Or why don't you look at the confidence in projected changes? Or the summaries of the entire report?

Your whole opinion here seems to be "we don't know everything therefore we don't know anything". Unless you are playing the conspiracy card, and I certainly hope that you aren't. When AR5 comes out in 18 months, you'll see all those LoSUs shoot up, for the record.

If the entire East Antarctic ice sheets melted, yes, we'd have 200ft of sea level rises. Calculate how long that would take. Actually, I'll save you some bother. They're not losing mass at the moment so it would take infinite years. Even if you take the most crazy extreme estimates, it would take several thousand years for this to happen.

I don't give a fuck if you're not sure, because I am sure.

Oh yeah, Greenland takes "infinite" time to melt.

[bigimg]http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/61790000/jpg/_61790899_ice_reuters.jpg[/bigimg]

That "infinite time" took four days by the way.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.