Club Badge (merged)

Oh shut up you Eagle haters, you know it's staying and thats why you are being such a vocal minority and really some of you need to grow up... sheesh. I really hope it stays even more now because it will be funny watching you throw your toys out of your prams, plus it would be kind of karma for some of the attitudes shown.

Nobody is contesting the rivers or the ship... whats the point of comparing it to that? What a desperate strawman that is. The eagle is a something people are split on 51% says more people want it, the only thing you could compare it to is the Red Rose(which not everyone is a fan of... myself included) which got 54% but even then thats not a huge difference.

If I'd have known about the poll I'd have voted for the eagle myself and no on the rose, those against seem more obsessed about getting rid of it than those that want to keep it. I think they will run some more polls between now and when it's announced, does it even say how many people voted?

eag1.jpg

Just to be clear that the eagle HAS appeared on the City of Manchester COA on the mantling.

Where it says CONCILIO put Manchester, where it says LABORE put City, at the bottom where it says ET put F.C.

Ships, eagles, rose, shields, stripes, bees, lions, it just needed tweeking with our text.

Job done :)

I quite like the old manchester central letter head but now they have reformed as an amature team and have re-adopted it thet it is unusable Gary James would know better though I expect, but that in a round badge would look nice in blue n white

application.png

lets be brave- lets do this letter head in blue in a round badge or a shield or both with a ship and an eagle, a rose, a cross, three rivers, three stars or the three degrees and a bloody pinapple, come on city you've got one chance at this, make us proud (in battle)

Oh shut up you Eagle haters, you know it's staying and thats why you are being such a vocal minority and really some of you need to grow up... sheesh. I really hope it stays even more now because it will be funny watching you throw your toys out of your prams, plus it would be kind of karma for some of the attitudes shown.

Nobody is contesting the rivers or the ship... whats the point of comparing it to that? What a desperate strawman that is. The eagle is a something people are split on 51% says more people want it, the only thing you could compare it to is the Red Rose(which not everyone is a fan of... myself included) which got 54% but even then thats not a huge difference.

If I'd have known about the poll I'd have voted for the eagle myself and no on the rose, those against seem more obsessed about getting rid of it than those that want to keep it. I think they will run some more polls between now and when it's announced, does it even say how many people voted?

Oh right, this is now official is it. I've missed the news. Can you please provide a link so I can keep up to date. If however you're referring to the one in the evening news., you are aware this isn't just open to city fans. If course you are, as going by that poll is ridiculous, right?

eag1.jpg

Just to be clear that the eagle HAS appeared on the City of Manchester COA on the mantling.
I did some research on this after it was pointed out to me at the first Badge Lecture. It seems to have been added at the time the councli launched the eagle emblem in 1957 but was dropped in the early 1960s when the eagle emblem stopped being used. If you look at versions of the COA from before 57 and after about 62 you'll see that it's not there. From a footballing point of view the eagle was introduced by Manchester Council in Dec 1957 for use by sports and leisure organisations with council approval and was first publicly used by a football team when MUFC played in the 1958 FAC Final (they used the emblem exactly as it was created by Manchester Council). City used it in 1960 on a handbook (exactly as created by Manchester council) and may have used it on other literature, but I've only ever tracked down that one handbook with it on. In 1963 when Utd played in their next FAC Final they wore the Manchester COA and not the eagle, so whether it was Manchester Council's use or use by football teams, the eagle seemed to last no more than about 3 or 4 years with the Council dropping it from the COA; United wearing it at Wembley once and City putting it on a handbook. Then it was resurrected in 1997 for the current City badge.

I quite like the old manchester central letter head but now they have reformed as an amature team and have re-adopted it thet it is unusable Gary James would know better though I expect, but that in a round badge would look nice in blue n white

application.png

As much as I love the MCFC from Manchester Central (the ironwork on the Belle Vue stadium looked fantastic - pic in Manchester A Football History: - it has to be remembered that City did all they could to join forces with Utd and kill off Manchester Central. Manchester Central were set up as rivals to City & Utd and aimed to be Manchester's second club (after City). They were founded by a disgruntled former City director to ensure East Manchester had its own team. The MCFC lettering is great, but it's of a rival, not our MCFC.

I did attend the lectures and Gary said pretty much every symbol has a utd link our current badge is based on thus image and the coat of arms that utd also used in their badge and fc utd do now
To be fair if City wanted to find an element that has appeared on City's badges that Utd have not utilised then the list is pretty bare:

Rose - Utd wore a red rose on their 1909 FAC final shirt (1st Manchester side to wear an emblem in a cup final; City wore no emblem in 1904) and on Manchester COA
Ship - On all Utd's badges (though a different style to 'ours', but they have worn it as part of Manchester COA
Emblazoned lines/rivers - on early version of MUFC bespoke badge (as was ship) and now on FCUM badge
Eagle - 1958 FAC final
The words Manchester and Football Club - Manchester has appeared on all United's bespoke badges; Football Club appeared on bespoke badge in 60s to 90s
The word City and abbreviations MCFC and FC - as far as I'm aware none of these have appeared on Utd's badge (why they'd use MCFC or City is beyond me of course!); but MCFC did appear on the Manchester Central badge
Scalloped Shield - the style includes in both City's round badges has never been worn by United.
Flat topped Shield - appears on all United's badges
Round circles surrounding the shield - Utd have never used these but of course FCUM have copied that design for their badge.

So, we're left with a scalloped shield with the words City F.C. if we want to avoid anything MUFC or FCUM have used. If we ignore FCUM we can include the circles as well. Thankfully, it's not our job to design the badge and I'm sure the person at City doing this will have a great time first designing a badge that includes every element and then one with no Utd elements. I can't wait to see the design.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.