Club Badge (merged)

You're absolutely right mate that design is very personal and down to individual taste. If a huge majority of blue like the new design, of course I will accept that, whatever my own views of the design.

The thing I find frustrating is that there is an absolutely colossal majority of City fans wished for something very close to @GeekinGav core design. It's simplicity, it's elegance, and the fact it had a strong nod to our past, while being relevant for the modern world.

The club are fully aware how popular this design is. If they'd bothered to read just a few of the many thousands of posts on these boards over the years they would be fully aware how popular that design is.

Instead, they have gone for something "Original, Modern." I'm very confident that based on the majority view, there was no appetite for something new and original. That was a lot of people's grievance with the eagle, it was seemingly plucked out of nowhere and had little or no connection to the club or city.

It's a nice concept the club asking us what symbols mean something, but as I've said many times, personally if the final design doesn't work, the symbols are completely irrelevant. As an example, I prefer the 3 rivers to the rose. But I would prefer an updated version of the 1972 crest with the rose than an imitation of the Melbourne badge with the rivers, rose, date and ship all bundled in together.

I feel like the club have asked questions, but they've not actually listened.

Same with the blue shorts, the club are fully aware how unpopular these are, but they choose not to listen.

They take the opinion that it is their club and they can do whatever they wish with our identity and toss our history to one side at their whim.

The questionnaire was really a trojan horse for the club to give us a completely new and original design, and hide behind the idea that we the fans picked it. That's wrong, there was no desire for a completely new and original design, and the club know that.

The reason I get opinionated and passionate about these things is because they mean a lot to me. I'm a 4th generation City fan, this club is in my blood and plays a big part of my life, and the club's identity is really important to me. What I don't like is when executives with no appreciation of the history and identity of the club, come in and do as they please and change things around when there is no appetite for it from the people that matter - the long standing fans.

They might surprise me, the badge might turn out to be great and really popular. But I already know from the fact the rose and the 1894 are included somewhere, that it's not going to be the design that most fans wanted. They are trying to squeeze too much in, when the appetite from the fans was the opposite. We wanted a clean, simple badge like Gav's, and no matter how good the design is, we are not going to have that now because there are too many elements included.

No problems with your passion and you've been both interested and engaged. I don't doubt that the badge consultation was probably done after most of the decisions had been made but I take a less cynical view that the club probably had a few candidate designs and tried to use the consultation to make a choice. It's not a vote but it is still better than a unilateral change without consultation.

Your biggest fear seems to be a badge with too many symbols. Gav does tremendous work and I'd probably have more than a dozen of his designs as our badge tomorrow if they were proposed. But the club were never going to simply use a badge created on here and just because Gav couldn't make multiple symbols work doesn't mean another designer might not. It's not fair to convict the club ahead of time.

More importantly, as someone who has participated in many of these exercises through the years, it's just inevitable that there will be an alternate design by Gav or someone else that you think is perfect and that whatever the club has come up with is inferior to that design. This is natural but this is all the more reason why you don't float multiple designs in public. I'm even hesitant to show multiple designs to key stakeholders in a decision making process because they fall in love with one of them and can't accept that another design serves the purpose better.

I know you more or less understand this and have mostly said as much. You're a smart guy who hasn't gone off rails on this topic at all. It's just an incredibly complex topic and it is impossible to achieve universal acclaim. No matter what, we are likely to have a substantial improvement on what we have today. No matter what Esquer says.

We should not complete the surveys then.

I bet tattoo artists around Manchester get busy in the early new year

The problem summed up at present. They constantly ask us to fill in surveys, and then dress up what they originally wanted anyway as 'our' idea.

Maybe it has been based on the results of the survey. It's one thing saying what the majority of people on this thread wanted but that may not coincide with the data extracted from the survey.

Anyway, let's see what it looks like before passing judgement.

For me the issue is I do not want another 'new badge'. The badge is entwined in the history of the club and as players, managers, chairman come and go the colour of the kit, name, badge should all remain as a constant to reflect the longevity of the club. It is something of historical significance.

My personal preference would have been the one I grew up with, incorporating the rose but I could fully understand the older generation choosing the previous badge. I do not actually care what they incorporate, it is NOT the City badge however it looks. It has no part in our history.

We should not complete the surveys then.

I bet tattoo artists around Manchester get busy in the early new year
I'd say it would be wise to wait at least a year before getting the new badge tattooed on your chest, thigh, back, or scrotum.

You're absolutely right mate that design is very personal and down to individual taste. If a huge majority of blue like the new design, of course I will accept that, whatever my own views of the design.

The thing I find frustrating is that there is an absolutely colossal majority of City fans wished for something very close to @GeekinGav core design. It's simplicity, it's elegance, and the fact it had a strong nod to our past, while being relevant for the modern world.

The club are fully aware how popular this design is. If they'd bothered to read just a few of the many thousands of posts on these boards over the years they would be fully aware how popular that design is.

Instead, they have gone for something "Original, Modern." I'm very confident that based on the majority view, there was no appetite for something new and original. That was a lot of people's grievance with the eagle, it was seemingly plucked out of nowhere and had little or no connection to the club or city.

It's a nice concept the club asking us what symbols mean something, but as I've said many times, personally if the final design doesn't work, the symbols are completely irrelevant. As an example, I prefer the 3 rivers to the rose. But I would prefer an updated version of the 1972 crest with the rose than an imitation of the Melbourne badge with the rivers, rose, date and ship all bundled in together.

I feel like the club have asked questions, but they've not actually listened.

Same with the blue shorts, the club are fully aware how unpopular these are, but they choose not to listen.

They take the opinion that it is their club and they can do whatever they wish with our identity and toss our history to one side at their whim.

The questionnaire was really a trojan horse for the club to give us a completely new and original design, and hide behind the idea that we the fans picked it. That's wrong, there was no desire for a completely new and original design, and the club know that.

The reason I get opinionated and passionate about these things is because they mean a lot to me. I'm a 4th generation City fan, this club is in my blood and plays a big part of my life, and the club's identity is really important to me. What I don't like is when executives with no appreciation of the history and identity of the club, come in and do as they please and change things around when there is no appetite for it from the people that matter - the long standing fans.

They might surprise me, the badge might turn out to be great and really popular. But I already know from the fact the rose and the 1894 are included somewhere, that it's not going to be the design that most fans wanted. They are trying to squeeze too much in, when the appetite from the fans was the opposite. We wanted a clean, simple badge like Gav's, and no matter how good the design is, we are not going to have that now because there are too many elements included.

most posts on here and online had people wanting the old rose badge back so i dont agree with that

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.