Club Badge (merged)

To be honest mate, the reason I'd want to change to the round badge is because it reflects our identity more than the current badge. Personally I grew up with the roundel City badge and I still consider that as our identity. The Lancashire rose is a bit old fashioned and not really relevant to the modern Manchester, or City which are no longer part of Lancashire (from a political or administrative point of view).

The centre being the Manchester crest takes the best bit of our current badge which does mean something to me. But personally I don't think the eagle has anything to do with City, and I don't really associate it with the identity of the club. I don't mind the latin bit, but I won't lose any sleep if we lose it. The stars I absolutely detest. The MCFC bit is ok, but I'd prefer the full name of the club. So for me Gav's badge has all of the best bits from the old badge, and the best bits from the new.

I also think having something similar to the other CFG clubs is a positive. It makes it seems more like a group, as opposed to several unconnected clubs stuck together.

As others have said, I think from a branding and manufacturing point of view, it makes far more sense to have a round badge as opposed to the awkward shape with the unfortunate shield which we've got currently.

B-Fb7A8IUAE7PJ9.png:large

This is amazing!!

Could we incorporate BlueMoon anywhere? (just kidding of course!)

Names would probably need to be removed from mass-produced version but yeah, this is awesome.

Totally agree with you on the names, bud. @GeekinGav did some outstanding designs last year, but I'd just checked the old thread, and this is the only one that is still online.

If Gav is still around, I'd love it if he could post up the designs again. From @MCRJON OP and DD's post, it seems the change of badge might have some traction, so if Gav could post up some of his excellent designs, it would give the club some kid of idea of fan's views.

To be honest mate, the reason I'd want to change to the round badge is because it reflects our identity more than the current badge. Personally I grew up with the roundel City badge and I still consider that as our identity. The Lancashire rose is a bit old fashioned and not really relevant to the modern Manchester, or City which are no longer part of Lancashire (from a political or administrative point of view).

The centre being the Manchester crest takes the best bit of our current badge which does mean something to me. But personally I don't think the eagle has anything to do with City, and I don't really associate it with the identity of the club. I don't mind the latin bit, but I won't lose any sleep if we lose it. The stars I absolutely detest. The MCFC bit is ok, but I'd prefer the full name of the club. So for me Gav's badge has all of the best bits from the old badge, and the best bits from the new.

I also think having something similar to the other CFG clubs is a positive. It makes it seems more like a group, as opposed to several unconnected clubs stuck together.

As others have said, I think from a branding and manufacturing point of view, it makes far more sense to have a round badge as opposed to the awkward shape with the unfortunate shield which we've got currently.

I think it's the St.Marks crosses/NYCFC pentagons similarity that sticks out to me I don't like. Looking at Melbourne's badge as well it does share the exact same circle as NYCFC and they have the Melbourne Heart symbol in the place of the NYCFC pentagons... which makes me think we shouldn't be at all surprised to see us with a new badge. Then again, what about all the kids in Vietnam, U.S.A, Australia, etc. etc. that recognise our badge now? Don't know how that'd play out, surely that would be a key factor in the decision making to changing badge in mind of global marketing.

Think it's a must the badge reflects the three rivers from the coat of arms and ship canal (to represent the city and as I don't think any other symbolism from the coat of arms would work). I might prefer it sky blue still though.

It's tricky really. Not sure if I'm keen on the double trim on the circle. NYCFC's badge is class, I think Melbourne's could be better but only because they have a daft flag. I'd just like ours to be the best, most eye-striking and most dominant essentially haha. I guess I can only reserve judgement until I see it and then give it chance to grow on me.

I agree with this. 100%.

Found another couple of @GeekinGav excellent designs. Be interested in what other blues think.

BwnlFOsIEAAhoxS.jpg:large

Wow that Yokohama badge is simply gorgeous. It'd be a crying shame if CFG didn't ask to use that now after seeing it.

The underwater/night sky contrast on our badge there is cool but still I would want ours to be the most eye catching. It'd be pretty hard after seeing that Yokohama one now though.

...The grouping of badge styles is growing on me after seeing this too...

As a side note too I wouldn't mind losing all association with the Romans (aka. the eagle).

I think it's the St.Marks crosses/NYCFC pentagons similarity that sticks out to me I don't like. Looking at Melbourne's badge as well it does share the exact same circle as NYCFC and they have the Melbourne Heart symbol in the place of the NYCFC pentagons... which makes me think we shouldn't be at all surprised to see us with a new badge. Then again, what about all the kids in Vietnam, U.S.A, Australia, etc. etc. that recognise our badge now? Don't know how that'd play out, surely that would be a key factor in the decision making to changing badge in mind of global marketing.

Think it's a must the badge reflects the three rivers from the coat of arms and ship canal (to represent the city and as I don't think any other symbolism from the coat of arms would work). I might prefer it sky blue still though.

It's tricky really. Not sure if I'm keen on the double trim on the circle. NYCFC's badge is class, I think Melbourne's could be better but only because they have a daft flag. I'd just like ours to be the best, most eye-striking and most dominant essentially haha. I guess I can only reserve judgement until I see it and then give it chance to grow on me.

I get where you are coming from regarding the St Mark's crosses. Personally I don't like them either, but from a design point of view with a circular badge, you need something there to break it up. Gav did an excellent one where instead of the cross there was a silhouette of a Manchester bee, I thought this looked much better, and was another symbol closely linked to Manchester.

I understand what you mean regarding the existing association some new fans have with our existing badge. Chelsea have been pretty successful in rebranding though. I also think that the fact Gav's designs include the words "Manchester City Football Club" make it unmistakably our badge though, there wouldn't be any confusion over it.

I agree the NYCFC badge is superb, they had one of the best graphic designers in the world work on that, and I hope City would employ him to help redesign ours. If he could tweak Gav's design I'm sure he could come up with something superb that would reflect our history, identity and something suitable for marketing in the modern digital world.

I like the Maroon and gold based badge.

Maroon was a colour in our history especially as it was the kit for big cup finals in the 1950's

It's subjective to what age you are I suppose. All the round badges look great though.

I remember when British telecom changed their logo and the then expense involved.

Guess that won't be an issue for us though?

Organisations do change their branding ....I grew up with Marathon bars but Snickers do ok as well nowadays.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.