Club's strategy. What next?

Well this forum wouldn't exist if people weren't allowed to exercise their inalienable right to freedom of expression and vent to their collective spleen from time to time
Now there's a thought

mike channon´s windmill said:
Well this forum wouldn't exist if people weren't allowed to exercise their inalienable right to freedom of expression and vent to their collective spleen from time to time
Now there's a thought

And I am not stopping them

cleavers said:
Marvin said:
What frustrates me is that yes we are 2nd, but with this squad we should have won everything this season.
That's just delusion I'm afraid, its a good squad yes, possibly still the best in the PL, but we have had huge injury problems from day one, and players do have indifferent form. Which is why no team EVER has won everything in England, and expecting us to do it is just unrealistic.
Our dip is entirely attributable to the dip in the game of 3 players. If they were anywhere near their best we'd be on our way to Wembley and many points better off in the League.

If you took Fabregas, Hazard and Terry out of Chelsea they'd be nowhere. Effectively that's what has happened to City

cleavers said:
Marvin said:
What frustrates me is that yes we are 2nd, but with this squad we should have won everything this season.
That's just delusion I'm afraid, its a good squad yes, possibly still the best in the PL, but we have had huge injury problems from day one, and players do have indifferent form. Which is why no team EVER has won everything in England, and expecting us to do it is just unrealistic.

My feelings exactly - good squad but not miles better than others, and for reasons of FFP/personal preference etc never going to be.

What it is though is squad capable of giving great performances and enjoyment - as good at Stoke, Sunderland and Swansea as you could hope for.

unicorn said:
cleavers said:
Marvin said:

My feelings exactly - good squad but not miles better than others, and for reasons of FFP/personal preference etc never going to be.

What it is though is squad capable of giving great performances and enjoyment - as good at Stoke, Sunderland and Swansea as you could hope for.

Never say Never.

Marvin said:
cleavers said:
Marvin said:
Our dip is entirely attributable to the dip in the game of 3 players. If they were anywhere near their best we'd be on our way to Wembley and many points better off in the League.

If you took Fabregas, Hazard and Terry out of Chelsea they'd be nowhere. Effectively that's what has happened to City

I thought we had our best series of results when we had a lot of players out injured and few/no strikers. Id I remember correctly it was during that time that we caught Chelsea and since they've all been back fit, we've struggled a bit. Perhaps with quite a few of he players out we had to be a bit more pragmatic and had a bit more balance.

On point 1, Pellegrini has done a good job so far but this season so far hasn't quite been enough. I think he is now being exposed to his limits tactically which unfortunately is fatal at the highest level. When your players can't make the difference the manager must and I don't have quite enough faith that Pellegrini can reinvent this team beyond demanding to buy more of the best players.

On point 2, you must be off your trolly, Yaya must be worth upwards of 60M at the very least and we would have to be mad to sell him. The rest well Dzeko scored 28 last year, he has had a quiet year this year but he hasn't played many either. He is still a proven goalscorer no matter what anyone else says, he should demand at least 25/30M. Nasri should be at his peak and we should be asking for similar. I kind of agree on the rest but I disagree on even considering selling the ones I have mentioned because you will not get much better.

On point 3, why do we need a mega signing. Name a single mega signing in history that has gone on to make a huge impact? Messi would make a huge impact in any team but he is just impossible to sign by anyone. People on here are demanding big name signings because they think that equals success but history tells us that it doesn't at all. A team of big signings will probably guarantee success, but one single signing, no chance. We don't need to do it.

On point 4, there is quite a lot of hypocrisy here, on one side we want big name signings etc but on the other we want to bring through youth.. You just cannot have both because playing youth players in the big games is quite a risk when every point matters is it not. I'm sure peoples minds will be changed when they consider that putting a youth defender at the back might cost us points. I have said it on other threads, youth guarantees nothing and the only real indicator of quality youth players is when they are good enough to easily transition to the first team, that has not happened. Simply blindingly believing in youth is pointless and goes alongside the policies of other teams who put blind faith in youth like Aston Villa. I have never understood this obsession with bringing through youth as though it trumps over other teams or something. We have invested in our academy yes but even that guarantees nothing but it does open doors. The whole youth thing will be won in world class scouting and that unfortunately cannot be bought, it takes decades of experience to gain that sort of worldwide coverage and knowledge. Picking up the next Messi is not about building a fancy academy and sticking them in the 1st team where they (hopefully) set the world on fire, it is about finding the next Messi before anyone else does, pure and simple.

As for 5, I don't think the right manager obviously exists because it depends on so many things. At this level the manager can make a lot of difference but ultimately it is down to the cycle of the team and how they put the power down so to speak. We right now are in a transition to the end of this teams cycle and it is crucial that the manager reinvents the team. Simply topping up the team with squad players will not work and once big players like Yaya get old, they quite simply have to be replaced and if that does not happen, the quality of the football drops. Forget youth, forget buying big names, we need to buy mid 20 somethings who are going to become great and we need to do it asap. We also need a manager who mixes in experience with players who will soon approach their peak, right now we have a manager on the edge of retirement with an aging team topped up with fringe type players. The entire thing needs reinventing whilst taking advantage of what we already have that works... The only manager I can see doing this and doing it well is Guardiola or Simeone, both are proven at completely starting again with teams and turning what worked well before into something fantastic

KippaxCitizen said:
Ducado said:
New thread, same pointless navel gazing and crystal ball reading some people seem to worry too much, where does it get you? Apart from sapping the enjoyment out of being a fan, believe it or not there are more important things in life

We are still 2nd and if we don't win it, that's where I think we will finish, I am OK with that we are going to have barren seasons all top clubs do, and some seasons we will not be at our best, it happens relax enjoy the ride
It's sometimes difficult to enjoy when you've skipped breakfasts for a week and not left the house in the evenings for a week to be able to afford an away ticket only to see your side play like a bunch of c**ts who don't give a fuck or see a inept tactical display from the manager.

I read your post and then ten minutes later I read a report that Frank Lampard had £23 million pounds worth of property in Central London. I love City as much as the next man but the day I put them before my own well being is the day I would consider being a fan is becoming a pain. Eat your breakfasts in future and watch it on the Telly. Seriously.

unicorn said:
cleavers said:
Marvin said:

It is and they do. They are also capable of horror shows against Newcastle (cup) , CSKA Moscow x 1.5, Stoke, Burnley and Hull. Chelsea have just been more consistent than us. Had we won those last 3 games mentioned we would be 2 points clear. The years we won the title, we would have won those games. Its fine margins at the top.

Got to take your chances in key games too. I think we have had the most attempts this season of all the clubs but have scored many less than we did last year. Even Aguero is guilty of this despite his brilliance this season.

davymcfc said:
It strikes me that with the likelihood of a trophyless season looming, the increasing age of our squad, potential unrest within the dressing room and the constant threat of FFP penalties that a major upheaval is needed this summer. I believe this will be an extremely important summer for us because if we get it wrong then it will be very difficult to find a way to recover and compete at the top level again.

Hyperbolic nonsense I'm afraid. As long as the Sheikh is in our corner we will continue to compete at the top.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.