Club's strategy. What next?

i♥city! said:
sam663 said:
i♥city! said:
The next step is to buy some young players and replace the guys getting old.

I would do the following at the end of the season.

Out = Nasri, In= Isco
Out= Navas, In=Debryune
Out Kolarov, In=Rodriguez or one of the EDS boy.
Out Dzeko/Jov, In=Lacazette /Dybala.

Recall Denayer, Loan Lopes , Pozo, to lower ranked teams in the PL (some of the newly promoted sides would definitely need the quality of the EDS boys). No need to rush the transition phase.

Fixed. Kurzawa is a shitteier version of Kolarov.

What's that Danilo guy like anyway?

Don't know much about him.

i♥city! said:
Recall Richards, Loan Lopes , Pozo, Denayer,Rusnak to lower ranked teams in the PL (some of the newly promoted sides would definitely need the quality of the EDS boys). No need to rush the transition phase.

Recall/loan Rusnak? might prove difficult......

you obviously don't love City as much as you claim ;-)

FantasyIreland said:
i♥city! said:
Recall Richards, Loan Lopes , Pozo, Denayer,Rusnak to lower ranked teams in the PL (some of the newly promoted sides would definitely need the quality of the EDS boys). No need to rush the transition phase.

Recall/loan Rusnak? might prove difficult......

you obviously don't love City as much as you claim ;-)
At least you appreciate the club's a proper noun, FI.

mcbluemooner44 said:
davymcfc said:
It strikes me that with the likelihood of a trophyless season looming, the increasing age of our squad, potential unrest within the dressing room and the constant threat of FFP penalties that a major upheaval is needed this summer. I believe this will be an extremely important summer for us because if we get it wrong then it will be very difficult to find a way to recover and compete at the top level again. FFP regulations ensure that we won't have the firepower to compete with the elite European clubs. Now is the time for gutsy decisions to be made and important changes to be implemented. The following strategy will not only provide sustained success but would also allow us to kick on and become a global giant.

Step 1 - Manuel Pellegrini

The man who came in after Mancini's turbulent final season and did a fantastic job of repairing the morale within the club. Under Pellegrini's leadership the squad were able to rediscover the team spirit that was so essential in our first title win for 44 years. By fixing this problem alone and allowing a more creative style we were able to reclaim the premier league title and land the capital one cup scoring over 150 goals along the way. However the warning signs were there. After a convincing home win against Newcastle in our opening game of that season and having taken the lead away at newly promoted Cardiff things looked like they were heading in the right direction. The fact that we then went on to concede three soft goals in quick succession showed that under the new regime there was a defensive frailty that we hadn't really seen since the days of Mark Hughes. Maybe at this stage it was too quick to judge the new man in charge. After all it was only his second game in English football. What it did highlight was a need for him to learn and adapt quickly. A 0-0 draw at stoke, 3-2 defeat at villa and then 1-0 loss at Sunderland suggested that there was still a large element of naivety with Pellegrini's team selection and tactics. A humiliating home defeat to Wigan in the cup and a lesson in tactics by mourinho and chelsea were other examples in what was otherwise a successful season.

A manager should always be judged on results and performances. Quite frankly the results this year have not been good enough and the performances have been largely disappointing other then maybe a six game spell in November/December. It is embarrassing that a side containing the England goalkeeper, arguably one of the best right backs and in my opinion the best central defender in world football can look so shambolic defensively. It is frightening to see how easy we are to break down. Long balls are always problematic, the high line leaves acres of space behind the back 4 and the constant need to play the offside trap leaves us teetering on the edge of self destruction. The trust that is needed between the defenders (goalkeeper included) has clearly disintegrated. We regularly see our defenders jumping for the same ball, getting in each other's way, smashing clearances in to each other. Last season we saw 3 time golden glove winner Joe Hart dropped to the bench for a series of defensive mix ups which has also seen one of Europe's brightest defensive talents being left in the cold, now on loan at schalke. I am not being over dramatic about our defence. We are a shambles. Cska Moscow, Newcastle, Burnley, Sunderland, arsenal and Middlesbrough have all come to the Etihad and torn our defence apart. It is not good enough and Pellegrini has to take responsibility.

My opinion is that Pellegrini will always be fondly remembered by city fans for reclaiming the title and adding a sense of calm back to the dressing room. However I don't believe he is the man to take us forward and having seen some quite astounding team selections I don't think he even knows how to take us forward. A new manager is needed.

Step 2- the clear out

I am aware that selling players on, especially on a large scale is a big gamble but in this instance it is necessary. We have to consider the age of the squad, what the players can offer to the club and what money we can bring in to satisfy FFP requirements. I have compiled a list of players that I believe the club could sell on. There are a number of reasons why I have chosen the below players from being past their best, some being no longer required and some because they deserve an opportunity elsewhere. I have also indicated the amount I would expect these players to bring in.

Samir Nasri- £20 million
Edin Dzeko- £15 million
Stevan Jovetic- £15 million
Yaya Toure- £20-25 million
Alvaro negredo- £10 million
Jesus navas- £8 million
Scott Sinclair- £5 million
Alexander Kolarov- £5-10 million
Martin dimichealis- £2-4 million

Total: £100-115 million

Most of the players above have contributed heavily to our success and again will always be held in high regard . This is a time where we look forward to the future and allow these players to move on with their careers. Players that are currently frozen out by the current manager should be allowed to fight for their place. Nastasic, Guidetti and Richards all being good examples.

Step 3- the mega signing

How many genuinely exciting signings have we made since the spaniards arrived? Maybe I will rephrase the question. How many of these signings have been the key to our success? You could argue that Fernandinho was fantastic last season but has struggled somewhat this campaign. Other than that the jury is still out on most of the other players that have been brought in. Although we have brought in players of a good standard these certainly aren't on the same level as Silva, Toure, Kompany, Aguero. In fact I would argue that we haven't made any genuinely big name signings since Saint Sergio arrived in 2011. The current policy since Begiristain and Soriano arrived seems to be quantity over quality which on reflection is not working. We need to make a signing that will make the footballing world sit up and take notice, a signing that will attract new fans from around the globe and fulfill Sheikh Mansour's vision. There is only one man that fits the bill and that is Lionel Messi.

Using the money gained from the above player sales we need to go all out to buy this special player. From a footballing point of view he could be the difference between us struggling in the Champions League each year to actually going on to win it. From a financial point of view it should be within our affordability having sold the above players as I would estimate Barca would accept an offer in the region of £120-130 million. Having reduced the wage bill by 9 players we would easily be able to afford his wages and Messi's ambition to play in the premier league along with playing with Kun and Zabba would be too hard to turn down. From a commercial point of view you would see an increase of shirt sales that should propel us in to the top 10 in world football which then leads to bigger sponsorship deals. Fans would flock from all around the world to see Messi play and you will find our recently expanded stadium full every week.

With the above increase of publicity/income I would expect this signing alone to satisfy FFP requirements for the ongoing future.

Step 4- belief in youth policy

We have all seen the fantastic work and investment that has been put in to the youth set up and it's facilities. I believe we need to utilize these youth players more often on the first team stage. Really what I would like to see is a large number of youth players given a chance in the domestic cups to get a taste of first team action and experience. This will also help the senior players when it comes to fixture congestion. Using this method should enable us to introduce more academy graduates in to the first team during league games as they will be better equipped to handle the transition from EDS to the senior team.

Having sold some of our older squad players during step 2 we have now shown clear ambition towards the club's future whilst also complying with FFP thus confirming ourselves as a self sufficient club.

Step 5- choose the right manager

The reason why this summer is important is because I think there will be a number of high profile, top quality managers available to take charge at the Etihad. Each of the following managers have demonstrated through the years that they are more than capable of handling a high pressure job whilst delivering results/trophies.

Jurgen Klopp- 2 bundesliga titles, german cup, Champions League runner up. Loyal, plays attractive football on relatively small budget.

Diego Simeone- la liga title, copa del Rey, Europa League winner, Champions league runner up. Reportedly interested in the City job, exceptional motivator, hotheaded Argentinian.

Carlo Ancelotti- 3 champions league titles, 2 fifa world club cups, serie A title, Premier league title, French Ligue 1 title, coppa italia, FA cup, copa del Rey. Successful manager across 4 countries, previous Premier league experience and linked with a potential exit from the Bernabeau at the end of the season.

Pep Guardiola- 2 champions league titles, 2 fifa world club cups, 3 la liga titles, bundesliga title, 2 copa del Rey, German cup. Supposedly the man that City want, has previously expressed an interest in managing the premier league.

Ultimately it would seem that Pep would be best suited for the above strategy and seems to fit in the club's overall footballing philosophy. Imagine Messi in a sky blue shirt inspired by his former manager. This isn't too far fetched. However I would say I would be happy with any of the above managers.

In summary

Sorry for the long post but as a lifelong city fan I have experienced the lowest of the lows to the ultimate highs. I am genuinely worried about the future of this team and have put a lot of thought in to what the club's long term plan should be. The above strategy excites me and I don't see why Manchester City can't be a major player for many years to come. Thanks for reading. CTID

Excellent post. By far the best post I've had the pleasure of reading for as long as I can remember.

Should have gone to specsavers :)

Thanks for the feedback guys. Don't worry this kind of stuff doesn't keep me up all night. I have a teething 1 year old that does that!

I just think that a change is inevitable and having seen messi at the etihad recently I would love to see him there in a city shirt. Aswell as all my other points which I still feel are valid.

On matters of strategy I find myself pondering what the late, great Peter Swales (RIP) would do in these trying times.

I'm loving the footy manager style of changing things and buying players as easy as that

Sell 9 players, 4 of which are regular starters, and replace them with 1 player?

I know he's good, but come on.

Mrmcfc said:
Sell 9 players, 4 of which are regular starters, and replace them with 1 player?

I know he's good, but come on.
So with everything considered the team would be this.

Hart, zab, kompany, mangala, clichy, Milner, Fernandinho, messi, silva, bony and aguero.
Subs willy, nastasic, Richards, Fernando, guidetti, youth team players

Plenty of opportunity to change tactics aswell. Ideally you would put 5 in midfield for bigger games for added protection. Add one decent player to the squad each year. Players would be desperate to sign for us and play alongside messi.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.