Coach Eddie pledges new culture club 14/04/2009 10:27

uwerosler28

Coach Eddie pledges new culture club 14/04/2009 10:27

CITY coach Eddie Niedzwiecki has warned every player at the club that there will be no free passes on offer as the Blues revolution cranks up the pace under manager Mark Hughes and his backroom team.
Eddie, part of a trophy-winning coaching team at Chelsea then Arsenal, insists that "the best players are the ones who challenge themselves" and that, over time, a "hungry fighter" culture has to be instilled.

He said: "If a player comes in here with the wrong mentality then they will fall by the wayside. It is out job to either remove them or change them. We know that certain players can do better. We are always questioning ourselves.

"It is important that anyone who comes to City to play is hungry to still do well. We want players to be more interested in the rewards of winning trophies than the cash that might be on offer.

"Players should want to be remembered for what they achieved in the game and not for the cars they drive or the mansions they live in. When you are top of the tree and winning, those rewards will come anyway."

Niedzwiecki and his colleagues make big demands on themselves as well as the players because "we want to be up there not as survivors but as winners. Mark Hughes has tasted winning - he doesn't suffer defeats or fools gladly."

In the wake of the worst week of the season, with defeats by Arsenal, Hamburg and then Fulham on Sunday, Eddie added: "I can assure all our fans that when we lose there is no worse feeling for us.

"Away from home we look over at our travelling supporters, who pay a lot of money to follow the team, and we feel bad for them. We are determined to put it right.

"A player represents a City fan in the shirt as far as we are concerned. That player is lucky to play for the club and that is why it has to be 100 per cent all the time, especially if you want to becmoe the best.

"It takes time for a new culture to evolve in a club. Some will embrace it and thrive. Some won't and will fall by the wayside. We know (the owners) will not accept mediocrity. Demands are greater, and the mentality has to change."

DontLookBackInAnger said:
Pitty they have been in the job 11 months and are only just working that out.
They knew it already. Niedzwiecki is a very experienced coach and Hughes went through the same process at Blackburn.

The trouble is there's only one way you find out and that's how the players perform in the real world. And I think they know now who does and who doesn't. We all know that some of the older hands (those that have been there a while) haven't stepped up to the plate and the newer ones are still finding their feet. That's why it takes managers a few seasons to really change cultures, rather than just getting players to up it a bit to impress the new man then settle back down into their comfort zone.

Spot on Prestwich. The culture change is happening but I am sure not as quickly as we or they would like. They did work it out very quickly on coming in and this summer we will see some action regarding those who are not coming up to scratch as well as new blood.

Prestwich_Blue said:
They knew it already. Niedzwiecki is a very experienced coach and Hughes went through the same process at Blackburn.

The trouble is there's only one way you find out and that's how the players perform in the real world. And I think they know now who does and who doesn't. We all know that some of the older hands (those that have been there a while) haven't stepped up to the plate and the newer ones are still finding their feet. That's why it takes managers a few seasons to really change cultures, rather than just getting players to up it a bit to impress the new man then settle back down into their comfort zone.

Oddly, Hodgson did it in less than 3 months, Redknapp and Zola even less time. As for the same process at Blackburn, he might have. However, Blackburn were heading down when he took over, thus he has success(or perhaps a better term would be he didn't go backwards first). In any job, you can claim success in a past post, but at some point you actually have to stop going backwards in the job your doing now. I will ask again(still haven't had an answer from anyone)what have you seen on the field of play that would suggest we are moving forward? Furthermore, Hughes and his claim that his teams player better, has anyone seen anything in this team to indicate thats the case?

Prestwich_Blue said:

Oddly, Hodgson did it in less than 3 months, Redknapp and Zola even less time. As for the same process at Blackburn, he might have. However, Blackburn were heading down when he took over, thus he has success(or perhaps a better term would be he didn't go backwards first). In any job, you can claim success in a past post, but at some point you actually have to stop going backwards in the job your doing now. I will ask again(still haven't had an answer from anyone)what have you seen on the field of play that would suggest we are moving forward? Furthermore, Hughes and his claim that his teams player better, has anyone seen anything in this team to indicate thats the case?

The home form and some of the football we have played their this season. Apart from Chelsea we havn't been steam rolled their. The problem has been away from home. Losses need to be turned into draws. Had he done that we would have been as high as Villa. For all O'Neals good work, Villa have only won 5 at home all season.

wilf9 said:
Prestwich_Blue said:

The home form and some of the football we have played their this season. Apart from Chelsea we havn't been steam rolled their. The problem has been away from home. Losses need to be turned into draws. Had he done that we would have been as high as Villa. For all O'Neals good work, Villa have only won 5 at home all season.

Our home form will end up being pretty much a wash from last year and I will agree that we have not been thrashed at home other than Chelsea and of course Notts F, our away form has been so poor though.

Prestwich_Blue said:

I'm wavering about Hughes, but using the example of managers at other clubs to compare with the situation at City makes no sense to me. Firstly what Fulham, West Ham etc are attempting to achieve is nowhere near the level expectation at this club now. I'm not saying they're doing a bad job, at looks like they're doing good jobs, but how long is it going to stay that way? Is what they've put in place going to last for the next 10 years? Personally i can see Tottenham doing well next season, but i think West Ham and Fulham will be doing very well to get top half.

What Hughes is trying to do, although it appears not very successfully at the moment, is prepare the club, lay the foundations you could say, for it to be one of the biggest clubs in Europe for a long time to come. No matter who is in charge, taking a mediocre premierleague club and doing that is going to take a lot of time and a lot of money. Results have been crap and inconsistant, i'd agree partly due to Hughes, but the players cannot be free from blame as well. It looks to me as though some of them know they are gone, and they're simply not putting the effort in.

Personally i'm still inclined to give him another season, i think it's unfair to judge him based on the results in such a fragmented and disturbed season. For me if he was to go, it would be because the players that he has signed, and the ones that form the backbone of the side, are not behind him. If Ireland, Ned, Kompany, Zab etc are not in favour of Hughes then i'm struggling to see how he can turn it around.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.