Coach Eddie pledges new culture club 14/04/2009 10:27

MCFCinUSA said:
it's as simple as this folks, these are very nice sentiments from Eddie, and what manager/management member wouldn't express & hold them?

- BUT it's not just a question of EXPRESSING them, it's all about EXECUTING them, and this may be we where we've been falling down this season.

the better managers don't just talk the walk, they walk it too.

maybe we're in to the more subtle and intangible aspects of management (man management, etc) which some of us are questioning if Hughes has, and if he can apply his particular brand of management to our club and more importantly the situation we find ourselves in.

it would be a sad day if we lost players and a certain style we wanted to express ourselves with, because our management team couldn't do anything except 'get rid of them' in a purging action rather than actually MANAGE the situation to a more favourable outcome.

when other people have made comparisons with other managers on here, it is probably because few of them have the luxury of purging and buying and selling on such a scale as we do, and so they have to be a little more creative and 'successful' at management.

Players are human beings. You can't just flick a switch and turn them into world-beaters. You can coach them all you want but at the end of the day they've got to have the desire, mentality and ability to perform at the highest level. Does it make you a bad driver if you can't get your Nissan Micra to do 0-60 in seconds? No it doesn't because that's not what you get from a Micra and you know that when you buy it. You don't fully know what you get from a player until you see him over a season.

We want winners. Stone cold, 100% focused winners. We might be able to accommodate the odd luxury player like Robinho but what we need to crack the top 4 is at least 8 or 9 winners in a team. We know that Ireland, Bellamy, Petrov, Zabaleta probably Ned, SWP & Bridge, possibly Bojinov, Kompany and De Jong are.

Is Dunne a winner? Garrido? Richards? Fernandes? Elano? Ball? Benjani? Caicedo? Evans? Etuhu? Probably not. Look at the rags and you see players who maybe aren't the best technically but are total, never-say-die winners.

The coaching team should know by now who is on message and who isn't and will take steps to deal with it in the summer. There will be new players who hopefully meet the required standards and maybe some who don't. So that should mean we are better next season than this and the same process should ensure more success the season after. By then we will have a culture where the players will know who's one of them and who isn't (as will the fans) and that is what will help us achieve long-term, consistent success. There is simply no magic bullet to get us there any quicker, with no pain.

Compare this to the debate on Creation v Evolution. players of the right standard aren't suddenly going to appear in a few days from nowhere. The ones who adapt and thrive will be those that demonstrate their fitness to adapt to the new conditions.

bluemoon05 said:
I see this as him saying the brazillians are 'falling by the wayside' and are on their way out.

so who would we rather keep ?

the brazilians or hughes and his coaching staff

Prestwich_Blue said:
MCFCinUSA said:
it's as simple as this folks, these are very nice sentiments from Eddie, and what manager/management member wouldn't express & hold them?

- BUT it's not just a question of EXPRESSING them, it's all about EXECUTING them, and this may be we where we've been falling down this season.

maybe we're in to the more subtle and intangible aspects of management (man management, etc) which some of us are questioning if Hughes has, and if he can apply his particular brand of management to our club and more importantly the situation we find ourselves in.

it would be a sad day if we lost players and a certain style we wanted to express ourselves with, because our management team couldn't do anything except 'get rid of them' in a purging action rather than actually MANAGE the situation to a more favourable outcome.

when other people have made comparisons with other managers on here, it is probably because few of them have the luxury of purging and buying and selling on such a scale as we do, and so they have to be a little more creative and 'successful' at management.

Players are human beings. You can't just flick a switch and turn them into world-beaters. You can coach them all you want but at the end of the day they've got to have the desire, mentality and ability to perform at the highest level. Does it make you a bad driver if you can't get your Nissan Micra to do 0-60 in seconds? No it doesn't because that's not what you get from a Micra and you know that when you buy it. You don't fully know what you get from a player until you see him over a season.

We want winners. Stone cold, 100% focused winners. We might be able to accommodate the odd luxury player like Robinho but what we need to crack the top 4 is at least 8 or 9 winners in a team. We know that Ireland, Bellamy, Petrov, Zabaleta probably Ned, SWP & Bridge, possibly Bojinov, Kompany and De Jong are.

Is Dunne a winner? Garrido? Richards? Fernandes? Elano? Ball? Benjani? Caicedo? Evans? Etuhu? Probably not. Look at the rags and you see players who maybe aren't the best technically but are total, never-say-die winners.

The coaching team should know by now who is on message and who isn't and will take steps to deal with it in the summer. There will be new players who hopefully meet the required standards and maybe some who don't. So that should mean we are better next season than this and the same process should ensure more success the season after. By then we will have a culture where the players will know who's one of them and who isn't (as will the fans) and that is what will help us achieve long-term, consistent success. There is simply no magic bullet to get us there any quicker, with no pain.

Compare this to the debate on Creation v Evolution. players of the right standard aren't suddenly going to appear in a few days from nowhere. The ones who adapt and thrive will be those that demonstrate their fitness to adapt to the new conditions.

I see where you're coming from and that would hold water if Sven's team finished in the lower half of the league last season but the cold hard facts are that they didn't, they finished ninth. Then along comes Hughes who spent over £100m on players and proclaimed we were aiming for a European spot. I think most City fans would have accepted an improvement on the previous season and maybe scraping a Europa cup spot but the cold hard facts are that we are nowhere near doing that.

Over the last few months, Hughes hasn't stopped blaming the players, blaming Sven's squad, blaming disruption in the dressing room and in the last 24 hours he's more or less said this is a long term project to get into Europe. The man is a Grade A bullhitter who keeps changing his story to suit himself. Would Mourinho, Wenger, Benitez or Ferguson come out so regularly and blame their players? I don't think so, they might say something in private but they handle themselves well in the media. And that leads me to another thing....when you read some of the stuff in the papers about players being disruptive and difficult etc etc...I can't help the feeling that those papers are being briefed from within City. City are keen to jump on crap stories these days but you don't read anything about them taking umbrage (spelling?) with the player stuff...and I can only deduct that is because the paper running the story got the story from within the Club.

Sorry but Hughes is a joke and the sooner he goes the better. We need a manager who can get the best out of the players already at City, a manager who can judge if a player needs a kick up the backside or an arm around the shoulder and a manager who doesn't go running to the press praising himself and damning his players.

I could go on but hopefully you can see where I'm going with this.

Uwe Rosler's Grandad said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
MCFCinUSA said:

I see where you're coming from and that would hold water if Sven's team finished in the lower half of the league last season but the cold hard facts are that they didn't, they finished ninth. Then along comes Hughes who spent over £100m on players and proclaimed we were aiming for a European spot. I think most City fans would have accepted an improvement on the previous season and maybe scraping a Europa cup spot but the cold hard facts are that we are nowhere near doing that.

Over the last few months, Hughes hasn't stopped blaming the players, blaming Sven's squad, blaming disruption in the dressing room and in the last 24 hours he's more or less said this is a long term project to get into Europe. The man is a Grade A bullhitter who keeps changing his story to suit himself. Would Mourinho, Wenger, Benitez or Ferguson come out so regularly and blame their players? I don't think so, they might say something in private but they handle themselves well in the media. And that leads me to another thing....when you read some of the stuff in the papers about players being disruptive and difficult etc etc...I can't help the feeling that those papers are being briefed from within City. City are keen to jump on crap stories these days but you don't read anything about them taking umbrage (spelling?) with the player stuff...and I can only deduct that is because the paper running the story got the story from within the Club.

Sorry but Hughes is a joke and the sooner he goes the better. We need a manager who can get the best out of the players already at City, a manager who can judge if a player needs a kick up the backside or an arm around the shoulder and a manager who doesn't go running to the press praising himself and damning his players.

I could go on but hopefully you can see where I'm going with this.
I know how the press work and agree that, among all the crap being spouted, some of the stories have been club-inspired. There were also plenty of players giving their side of the story if I remember correctly, so maybe Hughes was sending a message to them that if they want to make a point in the press then he can too.

I hear so many conflicting stories about Hughes that I don't know what to believe. I do know that the players I have put question marks against aren't good enough for a top 6 team, however much a manager gets out of them, so will have to be replaced whoever the manager is.

all the spin doctorshave been out this week first De Jong then Eddie whatever his name is, best thing is instead of saying this and that put a shift in! actions speak louder than words the rest is plain boring and yes I'll be there losing my voice giving you my 110% as always on Thursday so shut bit and get on with it,

Prestwich_Blue said:
MCFCinUSA said:

sorry but I don't think your analogies hold water for several reasons.

you could get a Micra from 0-60 if you bored out the engine and made a few more mods to it, no question - however, 'worldbeaters' isn't the right comparison either; improvement, cohesion, system, tactics, motivation & team spirit, - these are more the words to use and describe what's been missing to many who have viewed what's been going on with the team over the past season.

we're not talking magic bullets, but I believe there are problems with Hughes at this club, and to contemplate losing some very skilled players (some who play for international teams at a high level) because of management - or rather lack of it, is really a dreadful indictment of the weaknesses of our management team.

I respect your excellent posts that I've read on numerous other topics, but I think in this case you're stretching things just a little too far.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.