Cole Palmer

When I said the chips were down, I was talking about Palmer, not the team.

Again, early in his career pundits were calling for Foden to go out on loan to get more game time, but Pep liked him, trusted him & wanted him at the Etihad to guide him to where he is today.

Did he start every match? No. Did he come on as sub in every match? No. Did he impress when given the opportunity? Nearly always yes.

We managed Phil's game time even though he impressed more than Cole did when given the opportunity, & may have warranted more minutes.

Like most City fans, I'm desperate for him to succeed here. However, based on Palmer's age & what I saw last season, I honestly believe he'd be better served taking a step back & getting a season of regular, top level man football under his belt, rather than getting splinter up his arse for a season, as is looking likely.

If he was justifying his inclusion, fuck no would I want him loaned out. But based on what City are trying to achieve & Cole's tepid performances last season, what would you suggest as the best thing for his career progression? The same as last season & hope for the best?

I would say a loan move or give him more game time and let him become the Mahrez replacement. Trust him and let him develop

I don’t have the stats, but foden started way more games than palmer in the first few seasons of breaking through. At times palmer has impressed, but then hasn’t played consistently for months. Most young players can’t show their talent when they don’t play regularly.

I don’t think you should be comparing any young player to foden. Foden is a generational who everyone knew would make it at 15. Players grow and develop differently. Foden often put in tepid performances when he first started coming through

I think the next player to break through will be Mcatee, but he needed regular game time to adjust and get used to men’s football. Palmer needs the same. The talent is clear as anything though. The club can see it, as can teams like dortmund and Brighton. To even get in our squad as a young players suggests a lot of talent

Whatever you think of those displays Cole is superior to Gomes to think otherwise is nonsense, he rarely played early on in that u21 tournament and had to work his way in, plus England without Palmer wouldn't have even made the final let alone won it.

-------------------------------------------

Angel Gomes professional football career so far:

113 games
7364 minutes
12 goals
14 assists
+
(England u21: 18 games 0 goals)

That's while being bright and confident after improving much, because he's played first team football these past few seasons.

-------------------------------------------

Cole Palmer professional career so far:

41 games
1542 minutes
5 goals
5 assists
+
(England u21: 13 games 4 goals)

While being nearly two years younger, used very sparingly at times without many minutes at a time, generally playing out of position and yet to find his groove yet. Still though even if he carried on this trajectory without much improvement, he'd very likely be bettering those Gomes numbers.

If Palmer was at a team where he had the same amount of chances as the ex rag even out of position, then his numbers for goals and assists would defo be much higher than Angel Gomes I've no doubt.

He's got higher potential without question, and he's already a better player than him too in my opinion.
I don't know who is or will be the better player. I just felt that Gomez was more impressive in that tournament. Palmer had an uninspiring season just gone perhaps because of injury. To me he has never looked particularly comfortable when playing for us and has not so far anyway looked like a permanent fixture. I won't compare him to Phil but I think he has been less impressive than say Lewis has been to date for example. That is just an opinion and I do of course wish him well if he is kept in the squad, loaned out or indeed sold.

If he was at Brighton, would we be actually interested though.
Bluemoon would.... Half of this forum are going on like the 3rd best midfielder for last season's championship runners up is going to be a key player for us next season.

It is a tricky situation. I am not sure he will get enough game time at Brighton either. Although there are similarties in how both Di Zerbi and Guardiola set up their teams he may not completely rate the player that highly either and may end up on the bench.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.