Cole Palmer

Brighton wanted him which suggests he has a chance. It’s exactly what their business model looks for.
Can’t think of one Brighton player that’s left there and impressed. There’s no pressure there that’s why players thrive. Palmer will be a Ward-Prowse type I reckon, not kicked on enough to be world class.

I think the bottom line is Palmer wanted to go (expecting more time playing) and the 45 million notes met the club valuation. It's a very nice fee for a lad who has hardly played.

I like Cole as a player, I think he has great potential, but from a business point of view it all adds up. It's not like he was going to get 20-30 games with us, was it? The signing of Doku proved we (Pep?) did not see Palmer as ready.

I'm a bit disappointed to see him go, because he's one of us, a blue from Manchester. But 40 to 45 million is just to good to turn down. Good luck Cole. CTWD

Sorry to see him go, especially as he is a friend of my son.

A great fee if true, but wonder if he will actually start matches?
Pretty much sums up how many feel I would think. Disappointed he won't gat another season to see if he can make it at city but a very good fee for him and expect he will be rewarded with a sizable contract.

Hope he does well and fulfills his potential but will face pretty much the same challenges at Chelsea getting into the first team whilst the manager is under pressure to start winning given the outlay as he would here.

The club said years ago that the plan for the academy was to make it fund the first team. Each season we want 3 players emerging, 1 to sell to a lower club, 1 to sell to a higher club and 1 who we can get an absolute premium on or who will break in to the first team.
Add in that over all the clubs in our group and now with the addition of a Brazilian club, then that’s a huge talent pool we have access to that funds the entire project.
It’s a business at the end of the day, we may not like it but it is. The same way they couldn’t care less if you or me go because a foreign fan will buy a full on package each week instead where the club makes more money. It’s a numbers game.

Yes, I agree with all of that. My point is that it's all terribly dull.

Don't get wrong, some people here are legitimately interested in the finances and the business end and that's cool. But it's just not what I started supporting the club for.

Between this and the Lavia signing we've got £55m out of Chelsea for two players that don't appear to have any immediate first team plans, and who don't have any European football to get game time experience in that.

Good luck to them both, but it's an odd one for both players and club.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.