Cole Palmer

Bit of a strange one to me really, didnt really see this coming.. It is always a little disappointing when a promising young local lad who comes through the academy is sold on, especially as we get so much flak about just 'buying success'.
Even though its easy to say this now I still wasn't as convinced about him as someone like Rico Lewis. Does he have an attitude problem? who knows(well, Pep obviously).
Undoubtedly, he could potentially ofcourse be a very good player.
Though I can see the appeal of a move to London earning shit loads of money to a young lad in their early 20s, as others have said, will he get much more game time there than at City? It seems quite a gamble for him and Chelsea.
From City's point of view we certainly seem to have done okay out of it financially. Personally I think he should have stayed , rolled his sleeves up and learnt from some of the best players and manager in the world. But, who knows what he or Pep is really thinking?

We lose players because they’re not at the quality of treble winners to displace the players we have. They then tend to be far more impatient than players were at the time of the ‘class of ‘92’ wankers were back then.

Lavia, Sancho and Palmer would all still be here (nor not leaving) if they had more patience.

I’d prefer academy graduates at the club playing for the first team rather than people bought in, but I would rather be in the situation we are now than being sat in perennial 7-9th and having our best players bought from us because they wanted to win things.

The cream always rises and no one that’s left us has gone on to do better away from the club.

Also notice you didn’t mention Lewis who came out of nowhere and because a key member of the squad last season.

There's a lot here I agree with and a few bits I don't.

Firstly, I'm probably the biggest fan of Rico there is on this forum, to the point where others would probably think I'm being delusional about his level of ability. But, I've still got doubts about his long term future here because of how we tend to operate.

Lavia and Sancho made the right decision to leave. Obviously things haven't exactly gone swimmingly for Sancho since coming back to England. And there was no reason for Lavia to want to be third choice behind Kalvin Phillips.

In Lavia's case, I'd suggest that's pretty much proof that some of these players can displace players we have or, at the very least, be trusted over some run of the mill £50m Premier League player. The cream usually does rise to the top but unfortunately it's having to rise to the top elsewhere.

And I get that it's a business and I can't have everything my way and all that. But I just feel like there's a balance to be struck and we've not bothered trying because it's easier to do stuff like chuck Leeds a load of money for one of their important players than it is to trust a teenager who hasn't played a league game.

Last edited:
Although I feel Chelsea is not the best move, I actually think Cole will grow as a player and a person. Possibly he was too comfortable at City. He will have to stand on his own two feet a little more now. Just a thought. Good fee for us in my opinion. Best of luck Cole (you may well need it at that basket case of a club)

If Kevin wouldn't be injured, Palmer would have even less game time this season based on our transfers and squad build. His move is good, and the price we're getting is legitimately insane.

I never warmed to Cole like I did Rico or Phil he just never felt like one of our own to me no idea why I felt like this just did.
i'm the same. No slant on the guy, i'm sure he's a good lad, but just not the same warmth there for him.

On the pitch always felt he would play for himself rather than the team.

He's never looked like the brightest tool in the box, which makes me think this might be his agent seeing the money signs, but good luck to the lad and hope he does well. I just feel he might regret it in the long run

Brighton wanted him which suggests he has a chance. It’s exactly what their business model looks for.
Don't think Brighton would have paid the fee Chelsea have tbh

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.