Cole Palmer

Real shame. Wythenshawe lad and always want the local kids to do well with us, and can't hide my disappointment. But to be fair I think the club probably do know what they are doing, based off the evidence of the last decade or so!

I do think he has international potential without doubt. I hope Chelsea don't ruin him. I'd argue that his chances of game time and having a manager proven to develop talent have just taken a nose dive by moving to London.

Bit of a strange one to me really, didnt really see this coming.. It is always a little disappointing when a promising young local lad who comes through the academy is sold on, especially as we get so much flak about just 'buying success'.
Even though its easy to say this now I still wasn't as convinced about him as someone like Rico Lewis. Does he have an attitude problem? who knows(well, Pep obviously).
Undoubtedly, he could potentially ofcourse be a very good player.
Though I can see the appeal of a move to London earning shit loads of money to a young lad in their early 20s, as others have said, will he get much more game time there than at City? It seems quite a gamble for him and Chelsea.
From City's point of view we certainly seem to have done okay out of it financially. Personally I think he should have stayed , rolled his sleeves up and learnt from some of the best players and manager in the world. But, who knows what he or Pep is really thinking?
Pep saying Cole wanted more minutes & wouldn't be loaned out a few weeks ago, set all this in motion imo.

Last season was Palmer's big chance. We were down on squad numbers & out of sorts playing wise, but Cole made us worse when he was given the opportunity.

He played as a No 10 & on both wings, & was still not up to our exacting standards.

At his age he had a decision to make... Stay & attempt to make your mark, or move on. He's decided to move on which I think is for the best.

A few flashes of brilliance here & there, with little in between isn't what City are about.

I agree with most of this but I think it’s unfair to claim Palmer was impatient.

He’s been a first team player for two seasons now and I don’t think he’s made consecutive starts once. He’s rarely played in his favoured position and even when he’s played well, he’s been dropped for the next game.

It feels like he’s always been a squad filler for us rather than a player being nurtured and developed for a key role like Phil.

It’s obvious Pep doesn’t think he’s good enough to get a first team place with us and in that case £45 million is excellent business.
Which goes to my first paragraph, we lose players that aren’t of the quality to start in a treble winning side.

£40m (+£5m) is a great fee, not knocking him just an honest assessment he is a mid table standard player for me at best will never reach the heights required to play regularly at City. He would've been better off going to likes of West Ham or Wolves soon as Nkunku is back he'll find himself on the bench again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.