Cole Palmer

Did he? He started 2 league games as a false 9 at the end of the season when everyone else was trying to avoid injury before the two finals.

Presumably the two goals in two starts for City this season don’t count as him staking a claim though?
Cup games and we had a few injuries last season too. Didn't impress Pep or the people in charge that much to give him a better deal. With both Mahrez and Gundo there was an opportunity but decided the money was the better option.

Palmer had plenty of opportunties to stake a claim last season.

He’s not a Pep player - he needs freedom to express himself and that’s why a transitional club with a manager who allows him to play freely is the best environment for him to make the next step in his development.

This thread is going round in circles now and becoming tedious. Time to end it.

He made his choice, decided to go so time will tell if he made the right decision (and it was his decision). His bank manager reckons he did.
The best part is saying you rate him as a good player isn’t enough for the weirdos who insist you have to think he’s prime Messi or you’re wrong.

It’s a strange thread.

I hate this debate so much. I’ve see all of the arguments on both sides and none of them are even in the same ballpark as convincing.

The “shouldn’t have sold him” people are ridiculously short sighted and reactionary and the “he said he wanted to leave that’s it” people are completely dishonest (Bernardo has wanted to leave for 4 years; Any player would want to leave after the clubs spend £150m on players in your position rather than playing you - it’s embarrassing seeing people act as if he just randomly decided to leave one day and Pep couldn’t stop him).

I know 2 things.

1) You cannot judge decisions like this until years (ie 5+) later and all the pieces have settled.

2) There’s 2 or 3 kids as good as Cole Palmer in every age group in the academy, so we are going to have this argument roughly every 18 months for as long as the academy is doing what it’s doing.

Palmer wanted to leave.

Guardiola implements a big club mentality.

In Barcelona Schuster ended up being punished for a year without playing for indiscipline, he got angry and left for Real Madrid. "Goodbye". In Barcelona, Diego Maradona or Ronaldo Nazario requested a lot of money, and Barcelona told them "go away". In Barcelona, Ronaldinho drank alcohol every night and Pep told him to "go away."

Schuster until that moment was the best midfielder in the history of football. Nazario is the best 9 in history. Ronaldinho is the most magical player in this sport. Maradona is considered the best footballer in history beside Pele and Messi.

So imagine Cole Palmer.

Manchester City is becoming a great club not only sportingly, also mentally.
A big club is proud. Blackmail doesn't work.

Palmer is not the most important. Haaland is not the most important. Guardiola is not the most important. Manchester City is the most important.

And that works for everything in life.
If tomorrow your wife tells you "I want a divorce", you cannot answer "please no! Don't tell me that! I'm begging you. What do you want me to do for you? Please!".

If you do that, you are dead and subdued.
You have to say "close the door when you leave."

Cup games and we had a few injuries last season too. Didn't impress Pep or the people in charge that much to give him a better deal. With both Mahrez and Gundo there was an opportunity but decided the money was the better option.
Too young then, its all about what he will become - huge loss, you don't get many composed no 10's like Cole - and being an academy lad would have pushed the 100's of academy lads behind him - you never know he could have given the extra motivation to one or two behind him...saving us millions again..very sad loss i feel

Too young then, its all about what he will become - huge loss, you don't get many composed no 10's ike Cole - and being an academy lad would have pushed the 100's of academy lads behind him - you never know he could have given the extra motivation to one or two behind him...saving us millions again..very sad loss i feel
Pep didn't rate him that highly to give him more starts which is what it boils down to. That and Chelsea throwing more money to really tempt him away. There is nothing that shows that we have really fucked up in not keeping him. Even Sancho looked decent at Dortmund and look what has happend since then.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.