Cole Palmer

Mainoo is brilliant and should be starting for England.

Okey dokey.
He’s played 15 times for utd and had maybe 3 stand out games with many others passing him by and being subbed a few times but yeah, that’s enough to throw him in at a tournament.

Foden would not even get our POTY and that not dissing him, Rodri all day and everyday and twice on a Sunday.

Rodri has to be a serious Ballon d'or contender, unbeaten in 1 months, simply outstanding effort.
I agree. Just can see it going to Foden, especially if he keeps scoring on a run that means we win the league.

Rodri is the best player in the world imo.

Mainoo is brilliant and should be starting for England.

Okey dokey.
He’s played 15 times for utd and had maybe 3 stand out games with many others passing him by and being subbed a few times but yeah, that’s enough to throw him in at a tournament.

You can just quote me if you want. Don't be scared. I don't bite.

And yeah I think he's that good but it's not just about his talent, it's that his profile fits perfectly with Rice as opposed to every other midfielder we have. If it isn't him, it's likely one of Gallagher or Henderson.

You can just quote me if you want. Don't be scared. I don't bite.

And yeah I think he's that good but it's not just about his talent, it's that his profile fits perfectly with Rice as opposed to every other midfielder we have. If it isn't him, it's likely one of Gallagher or Henderson.
It should be Rice Bellingham and Foden in and around the central positions. We have the options on either wing to make that possible.
It’s hard to take people seriously when a couple of good games from a decent prospect propels them into a starting line up at international tournament level.

It should be Rice Bellingham and Foden in and around the central positions. We have the options on either wing to make that possible.
It’s hard to take people seriously when a couple of good games from a decent prospect propels them into a starting line up at international tournament level.

I like Foden centrally but let's be honest we all know Southgate will shove him into the front 3 with Kane and Saka, so we're still stuck with Rice, Bellingham and one other player. If it isn't Mainoo, whose profile, imo fits the profile almost perfectly, then we know it's going to be one of the usual suspects like Henderson and Gallagher, and I prefer Mainoo than those two.

That comes with experience and maturity and a coach who will drill it into him. I don't think he's particularly bad on the defensive end. When he's locked in and focused, he's quite a good and willing hard worker off the ball and tracks back well. The best example of it was at the Etihad. Gusto is a capable 1v1 defender though and can probably hold his own against any winger in the world. He does lose focus though and sometimes drifts in and out of games. I remember thinking the other day against Burnley, that 30 mins had gone by in the second half I had barely noticed him but then he ends up with 2 goals and really should have been awarded an assist for the winning goal but Sterling wasted that beautiful, gorgeous pass that 100% should have ended up in the net.

Maybe, just something I've noticed. But ultimately whilst Pep would have drilled him on that side of his game, he'd also have probably stifled some of his creativity with his obsession about team structure. And that's not a criticism of Pep, it's what ensures the team wins and that's the priority over individual performances. Palmer has been a standout young player this season without a doubt and I'm glad to see him doing well. He 100% has to be in the Euro's squad. Bowen is a lot like Saka in terms of wanting to take his man on and run with the ball. Palmer's got that more intricate style which would make sense from the bench. Southgate has tough decisions in forward areas. Mainoo gets in purely because we lack options in DM. It's him or Henderson really. Gallagher can't play that deeper role. And whilst we could play Rice-Foden-Bellingham it would have to be on the basis Bellingham had a more defensive role.

I like Foden centrally but let's be honest we all know Southgate will shove him into the front 3 with Kane and Saka, so we're still stuck with Rice, Bellingham and one other player. If it isn't Mainoo, whose profile, imo fits the profile almost perfectly, then we know it's going to be one of the usual suspects like Henderson and Gallagher, and I prefer Mainoo than those two.
The point I’m making with Mainoo is I’ve seen more average games from him than good ones.
He’s a player, no doubts about that but we have to calm down with some of the over hype.
We’ve seen it many times before.

The point I’m making with Mainoo is I’ve seen more average games from him than good ones.
He’s a player, no doubts about that but we have to calm down with some of the over hype.
We’ve seen it many times before.

He's stood out to me every time I've watched him. I do agree with you about not over doing the hype. He's only 18 and less a full season under his belt. I just think he happens to the be the exact profile of midfielder we're missing. I don't think he's earnt his England call up, he's only been playing a few months, but that also doesn't mean he isn't talented enough to be there.

Maybe, just something I've noticed. But ultimately whilst Pep would have drilled him on that side of his game, he'd also have probably stifled some of his creativity with his obsession about team structure. And that's not a criticism of Pep, it's what ensures the team wins and that's the priority over individual performances. Palmer has been a standout young player this season without a doubt and I'm glad to see him doing well. He 100% has to be in the Euro's squad. Bowen is a lot like Saka in terms of wanting to take his man on and run with the ball. Palmer's got that more intricate style which would make sense from the bench. Southgate has tough decisions in forward areas. Mainoo gets in purely because we lack options in DM. It's him or Henderson really. Gallagher can't play that deeper role. And whilst we could play Rice-Foden-Bellingham it would have to be on the basis Bellingham had a more defensive role.

Yeah I don't disagree with any of that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.