Cole Palmer

He wanted 1st team football and Pep would not guarantee it, naturally - so he went. Good luck to the lad, and I genuinely do wish him well. Also, a good thing to remember, he'll have fond memories of us and he could go on to absolutely torment the rags/dippers for years to come.

I'm amazed that this simple truth apparently has to be repeated over and over again on this thread.
Palmer wanted guaranteed first-team football at a team that then won its fourth champions' title in a row — never before done — without him. Pep wouldn't guarantee him that, any more than he'll guarantee it to Rico or Oscar, for the minute (they too might get itchy, and actually both of them would be as much of a regrettable loss as Cole Palmer, in my estimation).
He got first team football, and has virtually been the star, in a team that finished sixth, was in complete disarray for much of the season, and has qualified for the Europa Conference League, when it's at home!

Good on him, as you say. Good on us, too. Oh, by the way, we got £40 million for him, which in these days of strict financial control is not to be sniffed at (although it's regularly overlooked). There's really no hand wringing to be done.
When Zin and Gaby left, there was a certain amount of hand wringing on this forum. As I remember it, we did ok that season.
If anything, watching Laporte last night was the one that left me with some trace of regret. But then again, he wanted to go, and that's that. Laporte, I remember though, was crying at the final home game. So I do wonder if it was totally his choice.
Anyway… we move on. Roll on the new season, and the football that I really care about.

Every other academy player we sell we tend to insist on a buyback/sell-on clause but not with Palmer. Why not?

He's gone on record to say he wanted to go on loan (whether that's true or not I don't know).

He's now worth at least three times what we sold him for. It's disappointing that we weren't able to recognise his potential.
Or perhaps we recognised it as potential but didn't think he would start regularly in a team good enough to win the treble.
I'm not convinced Doku is better, and I'm not convinced Grealish was better last season, but I'm also far from convinced Palmer would have shone as well for City as he did for Chelsea, who appeared to be a basket-case club in the first few months of the season.

He wanted to leave. If he had stayed at City he wouldn't have been in Germany this summer. Good luck to the lad, it was the right move for him. Blues need to get over this some get through the net.
There are some extremely dumb and/or bitter posters on this thread. They just cannot handle he’s gone and is doing well.

Honestly I was more arsed when Ried sold Michael Hughes than palmer going, and I still feel the same.

To clarify for the knee jerkers, palmer going because we cannot gaurentee him what chelsea have, first team regular and main threat is not unexpected or makes a dent on our progress, when players like hughes, SWP etc were sold.off it was a kick in the guts and left us losing talent to be replaced by shite on the cheap.

We sold him, his star has risen I doubt he is arsed either about leaving after how his season has panned out, people should let it go

Last edited:
Or perhaps we recognised it as potential but didn't think he would start regularly in a team good enough to win the treble.
I'm not convinced Doku is better, and I'm not convinced Grealish was better last season, but I'm also far from convinced Palmer would have shone as well for City as he did for Chelsea, who appeared to be a basket-case club in the first few months of the season.
Chelsea would have been knackered without Palmer last season.

Honestly I was more arsed when Ried sold Michael Hughes than palmer going, and I still feel the same.

To clarify for the knee jerkers, palmer going because we cannot gaurentee him what chelsea have, first team regular and main threat is not unexpected or makes a dent on our progress, when players like hughes, SWP etc were sold.off it was a kick in the guts and left us losing talent to be replaced by shite on the cheap.

We sold him, his star has risen I doubt he is arsed either about leaving after how his season has panned out, people should let it go
Excellent post. Palmer has moved on, and has done exceedingly well (penalties stat padding his figures notwithstanding). Some of our fans really should do the same. I wish him every success in 36 of the games in the new season.

Who Pep? He gets far more right than wrong. He would have ultimately sanctioned his move and he gave Cole the option to stay and fight for a place. Cole decided to leave. He made the right decision for his career.

Did I say Pep...?

No, I didn't. He may be bigger than the club in some minds, but he's not. He's not the only person involved I'm decision making at City, and I suspect that the decision to sell Palmer rather than loan him probably had more to do with balancing finances/FFP.

Excellent post. Palmer has moved on, and has done exceedingly well (penalties stat padding his figures notwithstanding). Some of our fans really should do the same. I wish him every success in 36 of the games in the new season.

Seemingly a lot of people think scoring penalties is a given. We haven't had anyone since Balotelli or Toure that you expect to score every time they step up, and that includes Aguero, Haaland and KDB. Kane is considered one of the best and he misses plenty as well.

Credit to Palmer for having the confidence to take them and so far he hasn't missed.

Did I say Pep...?

No, I didn't. He may be bigger than the club in some minds, but he's not. He's not the only person involved I'm decision making at City, and I suspect that the decision to sell Palmer rather than loan him probably had more to do with balancing finances/FFP.
He's the main decision maker and his record is quite good.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.