Cole Palmer

What a fuck up, not because he left but the fee we got for him. Absolute peanuts!
I actually don’t think the fee was too bad at the time of the sale. Easy to look back now and think we let him go too cheaply.

The thing that stings the most for me is that we let him go without him ever really getting a real sustained go in the side and we then used the money to buy clearly inferior players.

Quite a few comments on earlier pages belittling him last season because he was then standing out in a poor team and wouldn’t repeat it in his second season.

Was bullshit then and is bullshit now.

It's not a binary choice: the club made a mistake not letting him go on loan or we need to move on. Both can be true.

It sure hurts seeing a local academy product absolutely thriving at PL level in another club. Especially a week when we ourselves looked to be completely out of ideas in attack.
I didnt think it made any sense to sell him at the time and it makes even less sense these days.

Our club has managed more than fine without him and yeah, he wouldn't have the same minutes or output if he was still around. But anyone convincing themselves the club is better off by selling Palmer and buying Doku instead (for more money) is delusional. The whole "he wanted to leave, nothing we could do" narrative completely ignores why he wanted to leave and what we could have done different. He clearly had the ability to contribute at top level but wasn't given the chance. Not to mention Palmer himself said he wanted a loan but the club for some unknown reason said that wasn't an option. McAtee on the other hand we happily agreed to loan out when he wanted first team minutes, the difference probably (I'm guessing) being that we thought we had an opportunity to cash in "big" on Palmer but at the time not on McAtee. We as a club clearly does more things than not right, but lets not pretend we made a huge mistake on this one. Luckily it doesnt happen that often.

Was bullshit then and is bullshit now.

It's not a binary choice: the club made a mistake not letting him go on loan or we need to move on. Both can be true.
I quite agree. The club has made a number of mistakes in its transfer business, both in its comings and goings. We get most right but when we get them wrong they tend to be spectacularly wrong, and they have consequences.

It sure hurts seeing a local academy product absolutely thriving at PL level in another club. Especially a week when we ourselves looked to be completely out of ideas in attack.
I didnt think it made any sense to sell him at the time and it makes even less sense now.

Our club has managed more than fine without him and yeah, he wouldn't have the same minutes or output if he was still around. But anyone convincing themselves the club is better off by selling Palmer and buying Doku instead (for more money) is delusional. The whole "he wanted to leave, nothing we could do" narrative completely ignores why he wanted to leave and what we could have done different. He clearly had the ability to contribute at top level but wasn't given the chance. Not to mention Palmer himself said he wanted a loan but the club for some unknown reason said that wasn't an option. McAtee on the other hand we happily agreed to loan out when he wanted first team minutes, the difference probably (I'm guessing) being that we thought we had an opportunity to cash in "big" on Palmer but at the time not on McAtee. We as a club clearly does more things than not right, but lets not pretend we made a huge mistake on this one. Luckily it doesnt happen that often.
How do you give the chance though? He had a full season as a starter last year. He was never going to get that at City. Doku played 33 games last season including stifled sub appearances (even with KDB's injury).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.