Cole Palmer

To be fair, Pep himself told Foden to calm down at some points. And even in one of the important away match in CL last season, Pep said he cannot sub Foden in because he's too energized, which may not good for the team while we are trying to control the temper of an away game.

So sometimes, it's not about how much you run (sometimes it does), it's more about "when" do you run.

Anyway, if Palmer is loaned to Brighton, that's absolutely great because manager of Brighton is admired by Pep. They shared the same mindset, and Palmer will learn a lot there, too.
All players have off games. The point I'm making is Foden's no Paul Dickov or Darius Vassel who offered effervescence & engery in spades, but little else in comparison to what City need today.

Foden mostly made a huge impact when played, hence he's now also a full England international. When the chips were down & things weren't quite going right for Phil, he'd make up for it with extra physical effort.

When the chips were down with Palmer, he seemingly had little else to offer & the team suffered. Hence he was often withdrawn & his substitute appearances became fewer & farther between.

The difference? City are considering loaning Palmer out & there are reports we'd even consider a permanent deal, with sell on & buy back clauses inserted.

This was never the case with Foden...

Yeah,agreed,the signing makes sense from the playing aspect.It was purely the financial angle.....its an incredibly large chunk of a very small budget when,to my mind,other areas seemed more of a priority.

They brought in another keeper from abroad this summer also, which does.make it seem a bit odd.

All players have off games. The point I'm making is Foden's no Paul Dickov or Darius Vassel who offered effervescence & engery in spades, but little else in comparison to what City need today.

Foden mostly made a huge impact when played, hence he's now also a full England international. When the chips were down & things weren't quite going right for Phil, he'd make up for it with extra physical effort.

When the chips were down with Palmer, he seemingly had little else to offer & the team suffered. Hence he was often withdrawn & his substitute appearances became fewer & farther between.

The difference? City are considering loaning Palmer out & there are reports we'd even consider a permanent deal, with sell on & buy back clauses inserted.

This was never the case with Foden...

How can you compare Foden to palmer, especially when considering the complete lack of game time palmer has had. He often only came on when a game was already won and I can’t think of many games at all where the ‘chips were down’ and palmer started.

Foden started loads of games and was allowed to make mistakes and learn. You’re being incredibly harsh on him I think. He did make a big impact when he played in the champions league.

There are also reports that we don’t want to sell him at all

Im all for loaning him to Brighton - good manager, good style of play.

As for any sale; after the way they treated us over Cucurella the players fee to them is £90m, with a 50p buyback clause inserted.

Loan ideal but a transfer with a good sell on clause would be a decent move as you know if he's good for Brighton they'll get fucking loads of money for him.

I think we should sell,but Burnley have enquired about a loan.

I dont think their funds are huge,which makes spending a large chunk on Trafford a bit strange.
Under the current Brighton manager then he goes & plays his football there imo

If its a sale with buy back then it's good for Cole

He has to be playing, he has spent his apprenticeship under Pep but even if we sell Berny & with Mahrez gone Cole wouldn't be 1st choice imo

He goes & plays & gets way more minutes under his belt & then see where he is in 2 years time
Going to Burnley is a backwards step even though it's Vinny

How can you compare Foden to palmer, especially when considering the complete lack of game time palmer has had. He often only came on when a game was already won and I can’t think of many games at all where the ‘chips were down’ and palmer started.

Foden started loads of games and was allowed to make mistakes and learn. You’re being incredibly harsh on him I think. He did make a big impact when he played in the champions league.

There are also reports that we don’t want to sell him at all
When I said the chips were down, I was talking about Palmer, not the team.

Again, early in his career pundits were calling for Foden to go out on loan to get more game time, but Pep liked him, trusted him & wanted him at the Etihad to guide him to where he is today.

Did he start every match? No. Did he come on as sub in every match? No. Did he impress when given the opportunity? Nearly always yes.

We managed Phil's game time even though he impressed more than Cole did when given the opportunity, & may have warranted more minutes.

Like most City fans, I'm desperate for him to succeed here. However, based on Palmer's age & what I saw last season, I honestly believe he'd be better served taking a step back & getting a season of regular, top level man football under his belt, rather than getting splinters up his arse for a season, as is looking likely.

If he was justifying his inclusion, fuck no would I want him loaned out. But based on what City are trying to achieve & Cole's tepid performances last season, what would you suggest as the best thing for his career progression? The same as last season & hope for the best?

Last edited:
It's a stylistic thing. Palmer is more like Havertz. They are languid by nature. It's not an effort or lack thereof thing. They are just built different.

Foden is an energy guy. That's said, I personally have never been enamored by the languid types. Just not my cup of tea.
What about Chris Waddle. I think he has that look about him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.