Cole Palmer

There are thousands of academies in the world who have a combined tens of thousands of players every year that come through and either make it or don’t. Many end up working on site or in offices and never play the game again. But within those that do make it, there are maybe the odd few dozen who will go on to be decent players at the top level, filtering down to even fewer who will compete at the top of the top few leagues. Within those few dozen they’re maybe two or three who will go on to be elite. That’s across the entire world of football.

For us to have Foden come through our Academy is incredible. We may ever have anyone come through of his quality again.

We can never expect City as one individual academy to keep bringing through elite players. It would be an extreme anomaly for one academy to keep brining through elite players on a regular basis. And to bring through a number at the same time is a freak occurrence in football.

Where it has happened in the past (United in the 50s, Celtic in the 60s, Ajax and Bayern in the 70s, Ajax in the 90s, Barcelona in the 00s) they’re often just freak one-off anomalies against decades upon decades of it not happening across the thousands and thousands of football academies in the world.

Ajax may be the only European club where it’s happened more than once.
United? 50s and 90s

How do you know...?

Have you been in his house?

"Better" is a currently a matter of speculative opinion. Only time will tell.

"Higher ceiling". What a crock of shite that is.
It's called having eyes, I've watched more than enough of both thankyou very much. Funny that you try and even make it into an argument. Palmer is a good player but barring injuries doku will be ahead of him this year and get much more game time.

It's called having eyes, I've watched more than enough of both thankyou very much. Funny that you try and even make it into an argument. Palmer is a good player but barring injuries doku will be ahead of him this year and get much more game time.

Any City player costing £55m is likely to get more game time than Cole Palmer. That's how football works.

I'm not arguing with you at all. All you've done is expressed your opinion on supposed "ceilings" that you can't possibly back up.

You obviously rate our shiny new toy, and I hope your optimism is justified, but don't try to make yourself out as being some sort of expert just because you've 'watched' both players.

"Higher ceiling"... What a load of bollocks.

Any City player costing £55m is likely to get more game time than Cole Palmer. That's how football works.

I'm not arguing with you at all. All you've done is expressed your opinion on supposed "ceilings" that you can't possibly back up.

You obviously rate our shiny new toy, and I hope your optimism is justified, but don't try to make yourself out as being some sort of expert just because you've 'watched' both players.

"Higher ceiling"... What a load of bollocks.

Chances are, Mahrez had he stayed would have played more minutes and more regularly than Doku coming in might. So Palmer is still now in a better position to get more playing time. Given Foden and maybe Bernardo will likely take up Kevin's minutes more centrally, his chance increases even more. And if he can stay fit and available, and show quality when called upon, then he has a real chance.

There are no guarantees he would play at other teams either. But if he really decides to leave this team and this manager at his age, then all the best to him and hope he gets what he wants out of it. As others have pointed out, it is great of the club to even entertain his desire to leave, as opposed to holding him to his contract and keeping him round for his squad status place.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.