Colin Bell RIP - Ian Cheeseman interview with Jon Bell (P142)

Just met Colin the once (I think)
I was Secretary of the Centenary Supporters Association (CSA) in the early 2000's.
I received a letter from a women (around 2004 / 05) writing to say her neighbour is coming up to his 80th birthday. He was from Manchester but now in North Wales and he once played at Maine Road where his school won the Manchester Schools cup - a real life Jimmy Grimble! Could we do something for his birthday like a signed birthday card from City?

The CSA arranged for him to travel with the Colwyn Bay branch with tickets to the game against Everton (the first game after his 80th) and I got City to agree for him to meet Colin Bell before the game in the reception area as Colin was his favourite player.
The neighbour was delighted and this was all a secret to him. I asked her to find out what school it was he went to......
The reply shocked me! The same school my 2 girls went to! Moston Fields Primary School!!!
I was friendly with the head at the school and he came with me (despite being a red!). The school had no idea they won the cup in the 30' s.

So me and the head meet him in the reception and he can't believe he is meeting the head of his old school - I thought if that made him emotional, wait til he meets Colin!
Then 3 people came in behind him.
I asked him who his favourite player is and he said Colin Bell. I asked what about Mike Summerbee? And he spoke favourably about him - then I said "what about Tommy Booth"? "Yes he was good as well..."
"Well if you'd like to turn around, there are some people who would like to see you.."
He turns around and sees Colin, Mike a d Tommy and is in tears..... And that set me off..... I had to walk away and compose myself..... The MEN were there and took a picture. I didn't join in the picture (very unlike me lol) as it just wasn't about me, but this fan and three heroes of his and the head.
All 3 of them stayed a while and made his day and the neighbour wrote afterwards (when she received copies of the MEN story) and said what a day it was and he couldn't stop talking about the day he met his hero.
Thanks Colin RIP
Nice post mate. Got summat in my eye now

I was Secretary of the Centenary Supporters Association (CSA) in the early 2000's.
I received a letter from a women (around 2004 / 05) writing to say her neighbour is coming up to his 80th birthday. He was from Manchester but now in North Wales and he once played at Maine Road where his school won the Manchester Schools cup - a real life Jimmy Grimble! Could we do something for his birthday like a signed birthday card from City?

The CSA arranged for him to travel with the Colwyn Bay branch with tickets to the game against Everton (the first game after his 80th) and I got City to agree for him to meet Colin Bell before the game in the reception area as Colin was his favourite player.
The neighbour was delighted and this was all a secret to him. I asked her to find out what school it was he went to......
The reply shocked me! The same school my 2 girls went to! Moston Fields Primary School!!!
I was friendly with the head at the school and he came with me (despite being a red!). The school had no idea they won the cup in the 30' s.

So me and the head meet him in the reception and he can't believe he is meeting the head of his old school - I thought if that made him emotional, wait til he meets Colin!
I asked him who his favourite player is and he said Colin Bell. I asked what about Mike Summerbee? And he spoke favourably about him - then I said "what about Tommy Booth"? "Yes he was good as well..."
"Well if you'd like to turn around, there are some people who would like to see you.."
He turns around and sees Colin, Mike a d Tommy and is in tears..... And that set me off..... I had to walk away and compose myself..... The MEN were there and took a picture. I didn't join in the picture (very unlike me lol) as it just wasn't about me, but this fan and three heroes of his and the head.
All 3 of them stayed a while and made his day and the neighbour wrote afterwards (when she received copies of the MEN story) and said what a day it was and he couldn't stop talking about the day he met his hero.
Thanks Colin RIP
You're not that bad. Not all the time, anyway!

Thanks Colin RIP
Love that story mate.

Before my Dad passed from the Big C, he asked me to take him one last time to see the Blues. I treated him to the full hospitality (it was the 2-2 Liverpool game, when Kun scored that ridiculous goal from the touchline).

In the car on the way to the match he said it would be great to see Buzzer, as he had got to be friends with Mike after doing some electrical work at his house. But, he went on to say that if he gets the chance to meet one man before he popped his clogs, it would have to be Ding Dong Bell. What followed was a description of pretty much every game he played, the goals he scored, how he mixed it with the Rags (especially in the 3-0 home win - posted in this thread) and how his injury affected a whole generation of Blues who were robbed of his prime years in the shirt.

Well, he got his wish, met the King and had his picture taken with him, Tommy Booth & Tony Book (a picture I had printed on the back of my season card when City were doing that, one that I carry with me to this day). He asked Colin if Mike was around, but he advised he was working in another lounge and he wouldn't be visiting the one we were in. He clocked my old mans disappointment, but said his goodbye's and left us to it. About 15 mins before kick-off the door opened and in came Colin with Buzzer in tow, brought him to our table and the rest is history.

My old boy only lasted another 6 weeks, but the last thing he said to me was how nice that Colin Bell fella was, and as a long forgotten cheeky grin appeared on his face, he passed.

This thread is a credit to us all, even though reading the stories have turned me into a blubbering wreck since the news broke. The outpouring of affection for the great man is a reflection of our class as a fan base and I salute every last one of you.

Rest in peace Colin, a true Blue and a true gentleman.
One of the best posts in the history of blue moon... thank you so much for sharing!

Thanks Colin RIP
Nice story You got a copy of the paper you could take a picture and post it

Thanks Colin RIP
Great story,thanks for sharing

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.