Colin Bell RIP - Ian Cheeseman interview with Jon Bell (P142)

I was born and raised in Bath and football daft, my uncle, who married a Manchester girl and lived in the area for a while used to tell us about this footballer he used to live near. He talked not only about him being a great player but also about what a kind and unassuming man he was. And so Colin Bell, Nijinsky, The King, came into my life. As luck would have it in May 1969 his team came to my city to play a testimonial. MCFC had just won the FA cup and so my Birthday treat was a trip to see the FA Cup, former Bath player Tony Book, former Bath Manager Malcolm Allison and of course the man my Aunt and Uncle always spoke so highly of. The match was a 5-5 draw. Youngsters were allowed onto the pitch at half and full time and I repeatedly kicked the ball I’d brought with me into the net just like my newly discovered heroes had been doing. To this day I still think this was the best birthday present I ever had and a large part of my life became a tale of two cities. Manchester City FC and Bath City FC. Colin Bell quickly became and remains my all-time hero.

When nearly all my contemporaries were Leeds supporters (later to a man to become Scouse Rag fans) Colin and his performances for England gave this lone loyal City fan some ammunition to fight back with at School. I swapped over 100 football trading cards (virtually all of the non MCFC ones I had) for one 3D picture (issued by the Sun) of King Colin. I remember him being hacked down when bursting from midfield in the infamous World cup qualifier vs Poland in 1973. I remember his performances for England in the Home Internationals (the only live TV footie we had in those day). I remember the joy of his equalising goal Vs Wolves in the 1974 league cup final and the subsequent despair at city losing. I remember balancing lying head first down our stairs to get a view into our open plan lounge to see “Sports Nights” coverage of the 4th round league cup 4-0 rout of the rags, desperately hoping not to be discovered if mum looked round, and trying to surpress my joy as we scored goal after goal and my outrage at Buchan’s challenge. I remember listening to radio coverage of Colin’s return as a half time substitute on Boxing Day, even on the radio it sounded like something extra special was happening. Of course that was the season when city were being followed by the BBC’s “Nationwide” cameras and I remember the moving episode they showed about his brave rehabilitation efforts. As with Paul Lake I feel cheated that City and England were robbed of many years exceptional service from a great great player.

I have Asperger’ and don’t normally feel much emotion or post online. Someone dies (even family) it’s normally yes very sad but Meh. Tonight I’m a blubbering mess.

King Colin you affected my life greatly, I had the honour to meet you once outside Maine Road and you shook my hand. It felt like I’d just met God. Thank you for all the joy you brought so many people, Thank you for providing the world with an NHS hero in these desperate times. Taken way too early you will long be remembered. RIP and THANK YOU.
That’s a belter Harlech, lovely words

I was born and raised in Bath and football daft, my uncle, who married a Manchester girl and lived in the area for a while used to tell us about this footballer he used to live near. He talked not only about him being a great player but also about what a kind and unassuming man he was. And so Colin Bell, Nijinsky, The King, came into my life. As luck would have it in May 1969 his team came to my city to play a testimonial. MCFC had just won the FA cup and so my Birthday treat was a trip to see the FA Cup, former Bath player Tony Book, former Bath Manager Malcolm Allison and of course the man my Aunt and Uncle always spoke so highly of. The match was a 5-5 draw. Youngsters were allowed onto the pitch at half and full time and I repeatedly kicked the ball I’d brought with me into the net just like my newly discovered heroes had been doing. To this day I still think this was the best birthday present I ever had and a large part of my life became a tale of two cities. Manchester City FC and Bath City FC. Colin Bell quickly became and remains my all-time hero.

When nearly all my contemporaries were Leeds supporters (later to a man to become Scouse Rag fans) Colin and his performances for England gave this lone loyal City fan some ammunition to fight back with at School. I swapped over 100 football trading cards (virtually all of the non MCFC ones I had) for one 3D picture (issued by the Sun) of King Colin. I remember him being hacked down when bursting from midfield in the infamous World cup qualifier vs Poland in 1973. I remember his performances for England in the Home Internationals (the only live TV footie we had in those day). I remember the joy of his equalising goal Vs Wolves in the 1974 league cup final and the subsequent despair at city losing. I remember balancing lying head first down our stairs to get a view into our open plan lounge to see “Sports Nights” coverage of the 4th round league cup 4-0 rout of the rags, desperately hoping not to be discovered if mum looked round, and trying to surpress my joy as we scored goal after goal and my outrage at Buchan’s challenge. I remember listening to radio coverage of Colin’s return as a half time substitute on Boxing Day, even on the radio it sounded like something extra special was happening. Of course that was the season when city were being followed by the BBC’s “Nationwide” cameras and I remember the moving episode they showed about his brave rehabilitation efforts. As with Paul Lake I feel cheated that City and England were robbed of many years exceptional service from a great great player.

I have Asperger’ and don’t normally feel much emotion or post online. Someone dies (even family) it’s normally yes very sad but Meh. Tonight I’m a blubbering mess.

King Colin you affected my life greatly, I had the honour to meet you once outside Maine Road and you shook my hand. It felt like I’d just met God. Thank you for all the joy you brought so many people, Thank you for providing the world with an NHS hero in these desperate times. Taken way too early you will long be remembered. RIP and THANK YOU.
Marvellous tribute mate, thank you.
I too remember that comeback game. My 1st City match I went to was in 76 and he was out then, but on Boxing Day I was at my nan's in Essex amd I distinctly remember the noise coming out of the little speaker, it was almost shredded. It's as if the emotion poured out into the room and into my ears like the Bisto gravy ad. I found it moving then and I was only 12yrs old.

Been on Facebook posting a lovely pic of me and my friends in City scarves and bobble hats as kids reminiscing how we loved him. Said I was there the night the dirty red clogger put Colin out of action. Mate's older brother said my Dad was screaming at Buchan saying he had finished King Colin's career. Wow he had brilliant glasses to know that. Anyway Hartford was brilliant that night and we won 4 nil. Same tonight please.
Or 0-8 in honour of colins shirt number, if not 0-4 will do ;)

Before my Dad passed from the Big C, he asked me to take him one last time to see the Blues. I treated him to the full hospitality (it was the 2-2 Liverpool game, when Kun scored that ridiculous goal from the touchline).

In the car on the way to the match he said it would be great to see Buzzer, as he had got to be friends with Mike after doing some electrical work at his house. But, he went on to say that if he gets the chance to meet one man before he popped his clogs, it would have to be Ding Dong Bell. What followed was a description of pretty much every game he played, the goals he scored, how he mixed it with the Rags (especially in the 3-0 home win - posted in this thread) and how his injury affected a whole generation of Blues who were robbed of his prime years in the shirt.

Well, he got his wish, met the King and had his picture taken with him, Tommy Booth & Tony Book (a picture I had printed on the back of my season card when City were doing that, one that I carry with me to this day). He asked Colin if Mike was around, but he advised he was working in another lounge and he wouldn't be visiting the one we were in. He clocked my old mans disappointment, but said his goodbye's and left us to it. About 15 mins before kick-off the door opened and in came Colin with Buzzer in tow, brought him to our table and the rest is history.

My old boy only lasted another 6 weeks, but the last thing he said to me was how nice that Colin Bell fella was, and as a long forgotten cheeky grin appeared on his face, he passed.

This thread is a credit to us all, even though reading the stories have turned me into a blubbering wreck since the news broke. The outpouring of affection for the great man is a reflection of our class as a fan base and I salute every last one of you.

Rest in peace Colin, a true Blue and a true gentleman.

To the King of the Kippax.
Since last night there’s been an outpouring of great memories on here to honour your life. It’s also allowed us to read back through the years.
We’ve seen so many of our memories are shared memories. Mostly with people we’ve never met in person. Just a moment in time. We were there. So were you. We fell in love with MCFC.
For me, you epitomised the humility, the magical sky blue shirt, the Kippax in full voice, the family that is our great club.
Forget all the titles, money and celebrity. What a legacy to have meant so much to so many.

Nijinsky, the privilege was all ours.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.