Colin Shindler in the Mail

I've just read this article and I was just wondering how the mail got him to write it for free. I mean I can only assume he did write it for free as he wouldn't want to be seen as just being 'blinded by the money'. I don't think slating something that you claim to love for a cheap buck could ever be considered anything other than whorish behaviour. You're a selfish old man and I'll bet you barely ever get to games anymore. I remember division two aswell and it was shit. Everything about it as shit. If you enjoy shit football then I suggest you get down to one of the London's non league sides. As far as I'm concerned men like Shindler are not welcome at City.

What a load of syrupy bollocks. There's no place for crap like that.

Football's changed. Maine Road was crumbling and there was no room to expand it. We had no money, and were in serious danger of getting relegated. Does he honestly think he was the only one that had moral reservations about Shinawatra?

It defies belief. Was he at Hamburg? Did he go to Old Trafford two seasons ago? I'd like to know when he last attended a game.

As far as I'm concerned, you don't end 34 years of winning fuck all by sitting on your hands and waxing lyrical about the 'glory days.'

If he was a real blue, he'd voice his support for us during all this media mud-slinging, and help to keep the loyal fanbase, that really makes Manchester City what it is, intact.

blue307 said:
I have read “Shindlers twist” a couple of times and it got me to thinking.

We the supporters are proud of our roots, our Mancunian roots and many of us still love our roots enough to continue to live and work here.
It was not Mancunians (the supporters) who sold the club to a man from Thailand it was the shareholders, the owners of the club. The very same shareholders also appointed David Bernstein as chairman. He himself was just a hired hand.

What choice did the fans have in deciding who bought the club, as always the fans have no say in the decision making process. Nobody ever asks us our opinions. The majority of clubs are owned by individuals or corporations. Very few are owned by the mere supporter.

It was not a case of too many fans looking no further than the money.
What are we supposed to do, walk away from the club that we have supported for generations, just because the shares change hands again and again?
Owners may come and go, (and it may be that one day our new owners will move on) but the true fans, the supporters live on for ever and ever.

As a boy in the 60s I fell in love with Man City, I enjoyed the talents of Francis Lee, Colin Bell and Mike Summerbee et al and their talents blended together brought us success on the pitch. Of course over the years I have still been mesmerised with the footballing gifts and skills some players have displayed and still, yet still I have longed and yearned for a repeat of those heady days and the seemingly elusive success.

I have seen other clubs succeed where we have failed, but could I honestly support any other team? Could I really contemplate turning my back on my team just because one rich man has sold his toy to another richer man, or because our trophy cupboard is bare?
Of course there may be times when I have been angry and down right furious with the decisions that owners or managers have taken, I may have been infuriated with the way the team has played, the lack of pride and passion displayed. But turn my back? Withdraw my love?
An owner may purchase the shares, the buildings, the players, the rights to the club name. He may buy all the physical assets. For all these can be bought at a price.

But you see supporting Manchester City is in my blood, it is blue blood, it is a part of me. It is part of my life. No one can ever buy the piece of Manchester City that I have owned in my heart for over 40 years. It has never been for sale and it cannot be purchased. I breathe in Manchester City air, I walk Manchester City streets.

How can anyone who has ever truly loved Manchester City say “I want to love Manchester City again... but I just can’t?”

To have lost that love that person must have somehow died. They must have lost all feeling and passion. They must have at some point given their love to another!

No one else may determine that which I will love. It is a decision I make. What is this Manchester City that I love? It is that team that takes to the pitch on match day, the players who take the hopes and dreams of thousands of Manchester City supporters into battle with pride. That group of men who go by the name of Manchester City, who wear the colours of Manchester City. This is my beloved Manchester City.

great,great post

I couldn't help thinking that now he's a bloomsbury blue, his London friends don't buy into his unthreatening face of quaint northern salt of the earth act quite so easily anymore, now that people may question his righteousness, give him a difficult time questioning his easy moral superiority, then he retreats into sulking child mode, but I wouldn't dream of selling my own self indulgent musings to a tabloid so what would I know, I'm just a simple city fan unable to make the moral distinction

Its a bit like winning the lottery and craving for the days when you were on your arse. Silly article.

It astounds me that certain Blues are delighting in being negative about our new found wealth as if it's something we don't deserve. What's wrong with dreaming? What's wrong with wanting success?

I find Shindler's line about 'this Abu Dhabi lot' a bit insulting - "At least this Abu Dhabi lot have got money, but that's all they've got" he said.

Has he met any of them? I have and I have to say that in a lengthy discussion with our new Chairman Khaldoon on the weekend he first came to Manchester I was very impressed. He asked questions - serious questions - about City's successes, glory years, fans, formation (we discussed St. Mark's and Anna Connell) and so on. I honestly have to say that that was impressive. I was told at the time that Khaldoon wanted to meet 3 people that weekend - the Manager (Mark Hughes), the Academy Manager (Jim Cassell), Club Historian (me). How many other owners have been that interested in learning about the Club's history on their first visit?

Even though I resigned from City (nothing to do with our owners or the 'Abu Dhabi lot' as Shindler puts it!) I still remain very much in favour of our new Chairman. Anyone who is fortunate to meet Khaldoon will feel genuinely impressed. I can't say that about everyone connected with City today, but I've never been able to say that about all MCFC directors/personnel anyway.

Interestingly, I have a copy of an article Colin Shindler wrote in 1974 about City for Foul magazine. In that he is very critical of the management of the Club. He talks of 'a grizzly melodrama' and 'vicious in-fighting', so perhaps this period wasn't the fond 'united' (forgive the word) time he talks of.

Gary James said:
It astounds me that certain Blues are delighting in being negative about our new found wealth as if it's something we don't deserve. What's wrong with dreaming? What's wrong with wanting success?

I find Shindler's line about 'this Abu Dhabi lot' a bit insulting - "At least this Abu Dhabi lot have got money, but that's all they've got" he said.

Has he met any of them? I have and I have to say that in a lengthy discussion with our new Chairman Khaldoon on the weekend he first came to Manchester I was very impressed. He asked questions - serious questions - about City's successes, glory years, fans, formation (we discussed St. Mark's and Anna Connell) and so on. I honestly have to say that that was impressive. I was told at the time that Khaldoon wanted to meet 3 people that weekend - the Manager (Mark Hughes), the Academy Manager (Jim Cassell), Club Historian (me). How many other owners have been that interested in learning about the Club's history on their first visit?

Even though I resigned from City (nothing to do with our owners or the 'Abu Dhabi lot' as Shindler puts it!) I still remain very much in favour of our new Chairman. Anyone who is fortunate to meet Khaldoon will feel genuinely impressed. I can't say that about everyone connected with City today, but I've never been able to say that about all MCFC directors/personnel anyway.

Interestingly, I have a copy of an article Colin Shindler wrote in 1974 about City for Foul magazine. In that he is very critical of the management of the Club. He talks of 'a grizzly melodrama' and 'vicious in-fighting', so perhaps this period wasn't the fond 'united' (forgive the word) time he talks of.

If you do not mind me asking are you Gary James of the major City book writing fame? If so i have big respect for you as a proper blue (a kind of posher Dave Wallace in my view - not an insult to Dave as I like him too) but in what way Schindler is a proper blue I don't know - he just used the name scum (manchester united) to make himself a load of money which in my view is about as unacceptable as a BLUE could be

Respect to you Gary, great books

BringBackSwales said:
Gary James said:

If you do not mind me asking are you Gary James of the major City book writing fame? If so i have big respect for you as a proper blue (a kind of posher Dave Wallace in my view - not an insult to Dave as I like him too) but in what way Schindler is a proper blue I don't know - he just used the name scum (manchester united) to make himself a load of money which in my view is about as unacceptable as a BLUE could be

On another subject I am sure you are well connected - is trhere any truth in the rumours of a MAJOR fall out between Hughes and Jim Cassell/Paul Power?

BringBackSwales said:

Thanks. I am. Posher Dave Wallace? I think it's the other way round!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.