Confusion about Adam Johnson

Great talent, still learning the game.

He's not that long back from injury, against Lpool in particular I thought he lacked sharpness.

Being the type of player he is, he's always going to rely on other players to open up the game, hence his much better 2nd half performance at wembley. At the moment he's great at skinning poor full backs but still struggles against the better ones.

He's not the world beater that some think but has huge potential. And Mancini is handling him perfectly.

Bellamy's Caddy said:
WNRH said:
You saw on Monday why Johnson doesn't play on the left, he tried to beat his man twice but couldn't get passed him. He plays on the right because his quick feet allow him to beat the defender either way.

He really should be spending at least an hour every day on his right foot.

Completely agree, but do players spend time doing extra work these days? How people like Gareth Barry, Martin Petrov etc can get to play at this level and have so little ability on their ''wrong foot'' is beyond belief. Personally I think all players should practice, or be made to practice with their other foot as it opens up so many more options.

I would imagine it would take years of sustained practice to be as competent with their weaker foot.

For example, imagine suddenly trying to practice writing with your weaker hand - and how long it would take to master it.

How many of you follwed him before we signed him??

He wants to be like Messi and Robben and WANTS to play on the right!!

He said this himself plus before we signed him thats what he did 80% of the time.

Even though I think Bobby shud dictate to him to stick to the left for a couple of games, i dont think AJ fancies it too much.

As most people on here have said hes an impact sub at best, I would take Lennon over him anytime anywhere!! End product!!

A myth of a player, does plenty of running with very little usually at the end of it. That said at £7 million it's about right in terms of the recent transfer market so we perhaps shouldn't expect too much from him?

Impeccable said:
Bellamy's Caddy said:
Completely agree, but do players spend time doing extra work these days? How people like Gareth Barry, Martin Petrov etc can get to play at this level and have so little ability on their ''wrong foot'' is beyond belief. Personally I think all players should practice, or be made to practice with their other foot as it opens up so many more options.

I would imagine it would take years of sustained practice to be as competent with their weaker foot.

For example, imagine suddenly trying to practice writing with your weaker hand - and how long it would take to master it.

I know what you're saying, but there's a difference between mastering and becoming competent with it. I remember Niall Quinn used to spend hours in the gym practicing his close control with both feet and he became very good at those flicks and lay offs. I'm not necessarily talking about Johnson, but there are a lot of footballers who would have benefited from an hour a day practice on their weaker foot. If nothing else it makes them more likely to be able to get a shot on target at least if a chance falls to them on their wrong side, for that reason alone it is worth the time.

Impeccable said:
Bellamy's Caddy said:

If you pay me 50k a week, when do you want me to start?

I'd be writing Latin within a year! ;-)

Bellamy's Caddy said:
Impeccable said:

I know what you're saying, but there's a difference between mastering and becoming competent with it. I remember Niall Quinn used to spend hours in the gym practicing his close control with both feet and he became very good at those flicks and lay offs. I'm not necessarily talking about Johnson, but there are a lot of footballers who would have benefited from an hour a day practice on their weaker foot. If nothing else it makes them more likely to be able to get a shot on target at least if a chance falls to them on their wrong side, for that reason alone it is worth the time.

Point taken.

Johnson to us is almost exactly like what Nasri is to Arsenal. Every other teams fans seem to think they're amazing, yet the fans of the clubs they actually play for are generally nonplussed. He needs a lot of work before he's useful over 90 minutes IMO. His skills aren't in question, just his noggin. Bit like another well known generally inconsistent now very impressive winger, Nani.

He's got the tools to be very, very good, and if he trusts Mancini he'll very likely get there. Was far from impressed with his little woman fit at Blackburn though.

Bellamy's Caddy said:
WNRH said:
You saw on Monday why Johnson doesn't play on the left, he tried to beat his man twice but couldn't get passed him. He plays on the right because his quick feet allow him to beat the defender either way.

He really should be spending at least an hour every day on his right foot.

I don't get it, skateboarders and snowboarders do tricks 'switch', I don't understand while professional footballers who are payed 10 million times more, don't improve their weaker foot? Why not practice your left like your practice your right?

Its unbelievable more people aren't two footed in profesional football.

Right from the very first time I saw him in a City shirt he always seems to tire after about an hour.

Incredible really but I still think that he is only ever up to 60-minutes even now.

Maybe a bit more conditioning and he'll last the 90.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.