Coronation of King Charles 3rd

This is going against the trend and I realise it will probably be seen as, ah well she’s an FOC (?), but whilst I am ambivalent about most of the people taking part I will enjoy the pageantry.
I am proud of my country and, whilst I acknowledge that it is being ruined by certain political forces, the ordinary citizens are for the most part caring and hardworking individuals.
Yes we are going through an economic crisis and to give him his due Charles has tried to cut back a lot of the ceremony that I remember from his Mother’s coronation but the pageantry is something that we should be proud of showing to the world.
I don’t really remember his parent’s wedding, I was too young, but I do remember reading over the years that, because the country was still recovering from WW2 in terms of austerity, rationing etc. that was more low key and cut back as much as possible in recognition. The population of the country at the time contributed ration coupons, without being asked, to the couple who were subject to the same restrictions as the rest of the population. This Coronation is also pared back but a great show for the World at large.

Anyway, I may not be glued to the TV because I’ll be getting ready for a football match ;-) but I will be watching proudly and I will have my Union Jack displayed in my window.
Sorry, but I am a proud English/ British woman and I love my country. :-) :-)

The coronation of a new monarch is a rare event on our shores. Even if Charles only lasts a decade, for most of us statistically we're only likely to see one more in our lifetimes. Whilst I'm no royalist I'm not anti royalist either, and hope to enjoy the event and people coming together under the flag for once. We have a tradition and a long history and should celebrate that, even if people tell us the British are no good, did this and that historically and so on. It's a bit stale now anyway, being told to be ashamed of your ancestors, and history shows that way of thinking is hardly progressive. You don't need to be their number one fans to accept that. Just grab a beer and enjoy the occasion.

They're having a street party here and an event on the village fields, I'll be at both and my young kids, whist not having it in their diaries as the best thing to ever happen I'm sure, are somewhat excited to see what it is all about. They can't believe I've never seen a coronation myself either.

Yet I fear the op may be right, so many can't connect to the monarchy, or to Charles as a person, that it could be a catalyst for change. There's a lot of unhappiness brewing under the surface in our country, much of it justified thanks to some horrendous political shenanigans but also this wave of people seemingly needing a cause and wanting to be heard regardless of what it is and what the collateral damage is, looking for a way to step up to the next level and the monarchy could be that unifying hated symbol for many.

Although, I've always assumed that the royals probably bring in as much tourist money as they cost us, maybe more, so maybe national pride may swell ironically when we see all those foreign types going crazy over it all.

I remember the Queen's coronation and the news coming that Hilary and Tensing had climbed Everest and at the time it seemed appropriate that a British team had done that. But even though I watched the Queen's funeral with much sadness a few months ago I knew I wouldn't be much interested in her boy's coronation. Maybe the institution only commands as much respect as the individuals in it. It's a measure of how much respect I lost for the monarchy in the decades since 1953 that when Charlie married Diana instead of watching on tv I joined the (large) crowds at Southport to watch Lancashire play cricket.

Maybe it's as Thomas Paine said, "a king is just a man in a funny hat."

Last edited:
What's everyone's feelings? Mine is one of ambivalence for the event and sadness for the waste of tax payer money in the middle of a cost of living crisis.

Polling shows its the older age group who are going big for this so I should have an interest but can't see it bothering me too much.

Youngsters clearly cannot relate to it at all - could be a defining moment for the Monarchy. Daughter works for a big clothing chain aimed at the younger market and they have been sent bunting etc for the shop and staff area and nobody can be arsed putting any of it up. It won't attract their target customers and at the moment they are busy maximising sales to keep their jobs as the High Street is dying - time spent putting flags up with Chas and Cams on them is time wasted off the sales floor
The Royal family should pay for it all themselves, not like they are short of a bob or two.

I hate these events.
I just see all these fabulously rich people in the Abbey in all their finery, it depresses me in that these rich people live in an entirely different world than us plain folk. It sounds like jealousy, but it's not. I'm more than happy with what I've got....It's just I hate the class system, I just don't like it.
Some people have to work down mines or in depressing factories their entire lives for a meagre living and these lot wouldn't even look at them as working class are beneath them. They live in a world of huge homes with many acres, horses, polo, dinner parties, fine wines and clothes etc. I also hate the fact that their lifestyle pollutes the earth so hugely with their private jets, helicopters, yachts and suchlike.
I just hate the sight of them.

Don't watch it then Bill..
But try not playing with your dick instead, it'll never heal :)

The Royals are worth it if only for the tourist dollar that they bring. They have no political clout but the pagentry and history give the UK a Higher standing in the world than a small country should have.

The queen did a great job and I think William and Kate would be excellent. There would be much more public celebration. If the coronation was for them then Charles but obviously the hereditary rules is part of the whole set up.

The Royals are worth it if only for the tourist dollar that they bring. They have no political clout but the pagentry and history give the UK a Higher standing in the world than a small country should have.

The queen did a great job and I think William and Kate would be excellent. There would be much more public celebration. If the coronation was for them then Charles but obviously the hereditary rules is part of the whole set up.
He could of passed on being King and gave it straight to William. I am no royalist I am a Catholic of Irish descent but I feel if it was William getting the big hat there would be a massive buzz around the country and all the bunting and flags that a poster mentioned earlier that are nowhere to be seen would be hanging from every lamppost throughout the land.

I'm definitely not a monarchist, but the alternative as head of state scares me shitless. Can you imagine President Blair, or President Boris ?

Give me the history, and tradition every time if that is the alternative !
Can't there be an alternative that we actually want?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.