Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dad in wythenshawe hospital, had a conversation with his doctor today of which I learnt something I didn’t now,
His oxygen has increased from 60% to 75%, and I asked at which % would he need ventilation. To my surprise he advised at 77 he’s way to old for ventilation and basically oxygen will increase if required to 100% and that’s that.
hadn’t heard there was age cut off for ventilation.
Yeah mate, it’s too intrusive for older people. Good to hear he’s hopefully heading in the correct direction. How’s your mum doing with it?

Yeah mate, it’s too intrusive for older people. Good to hear he’s hopefully heading in the correct direction. How’s your mum doing with it?
She’s at home on oxygen, on a positive they’ve given my dad the arthritis drug which the doctor said was showing amazing results and started yesterday for covid, doc also said he’s seen severe arthritis cured as people leave hospital despite being suffering for years of which my dad does, if he can fight this thing he could leave feeling a brand new man.

OK if you're putting a date on it, I'll suggest we vaccinate all over 50s by the first week in March. I am assuming the vaccination rate will gradually rise to make this possible. Open the schools, 8th March then monitor the epidemic for 2-3 weeks then start lifting piecemeal.

This sounds reasonable to me, perhaps a little optimistic in vaccination rates.

Also, need to remember that most people up to that point are not "vaccinated", but have just had one dose.

OK if you're putting a date on it, I'll suggest we vaccinate all over 50s by the first week in March. I am assuming the vaccination rate will gradually rise to make this possible. Open the schools, 8th March then monitor the epidemic for 2-3 weeks then start lifting piecemeal.
Why open schools, bring forward Easter holidays and go back two weeks after, waste of time kids going back for two weeks to then be sent home for two weeks. Also think vaccines will ramp up with the one dose shot.

You need to remember that some 10+ million also need their second vaccine, so let me be the first to say you are being optimistic, because that makes the total 25.5+ million.

Depends when 2nd dose is given. If it's 12 weeks apart then it could be done.
A few things make it possible. Bulk second shots only kick in at the beginning of April and by then we will be receiving Moderna supplies plus Pfizer supply should increase. Two new vaccines are about to be approved and one will be manufactured on Teeside.

Not a given but entirely possible.

I admit I havent kept up to speed because it was bringing me down abit.
I heard on the news about 2 or 3 weeks that the government were going to put anyone arriving in the uk into hotels to self isolate. Now heard this will be starting on the 15 !.
I thought it had started weeks ago !
Why the delay ?

False analogy.

Anyone offered a vaccination can go and get it. Most will but a minority won't. As having the vaccine isn't compulsory all the government can do is inform people when they are eligible to have it.

There appears to be a problem with minority groups who are high risk having a far lower take up than non BAME. There's not much you can do about that in the short term but maybe over time when they see family and friends still dying of Covid and that not happening for vaccinated people they will change their minds.

A friend of my wife's is a community nurse and she has refused her offered vaccination. The reason she has done so is that in her mid 50s she has become a fanatical vegan so she won't have it because it has been tested on animals. It is completely bizarre as all the drugs she administers to her patients are also tested on animals but as things stand she can't be forced to have it.
No doubt when they inevitably get sick, accusations of institutional racism will start again.

Just to emphasise the scale of the problem. Scotland had active cases of infection in roughly 25% (250) of its care homes on January 24th.
If we assumed England had roughly the same% then that equates to 3900 residential care homes. Some of which will only be staff but many will be a mix of staff and residents.
I know of a few homes locally, within twenty miles of each other with over 30+ cases each. Many of whom sadly won't recover but the ones that do then won't be able to get jab until weeks after their symptoms have gone.
We could be looking at thousands maybe tens of thousands active infections country wide.

No doubt when they inevitably get sick, accusations of institutional racism will start again.
spot on - it's a dammed if you do and dammed if you don't society we now live in - as long as some section of society keeps getting its pound of flesh the world can keep turning

I admit I havent kept up to speed because it was bringing me down abit.
I heard on the news about 2 or 3 weeks that the government were going to put anyone arriving in the uk into hotels to self isolate. Now heard this will be starting on the 15 !.
I thought it had started weeks ago !
Why the delay ?

i don't often stick up for Government but logistically it can't be easy to implement something like this and get it working overnight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.