Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
England vaccinations:-

306. 109 first doses given yesterday over 120,000 fewer than last week and down from 323, 802 yesterday

This now means approximately 33% of all those over 18 in England have now had at least one dose.

Regionally the South West at 38% has done the highest proportion of their population and London at 25% has done the least.

North West has done slightly above average at 34%

Worth noting that the South West - the area with the biggest percentage of adults vaccinated - has fallen the most of the southern regions in the past month or so.

It now has a Pop Score well under 100 and just 578 cases yesterday and just four weeks ago it had 3712.

Those 4 weeks ago they had over 2300 in hospital and 220 on ventilators. Now they have just 775 patients and 96 on ventilators.

Last edited:
A single, traditional-style, vaccine like we're developing now likely won't work to protect us from all variants - COVID-19 seems to be similar to the flu in this regard.
And that’s why it will be updated to take into account of variants (as already promised by AZ etc) and likely to become an annual vaccination similar to flu which is also changed every year

And that’s why it will be updated to take into account of variants (as already promised by AZ etc) and likely to become an annual vaccination similar to flu which is also changed every year
Which is depressing - as sometimes predictions are off and the vaccine is much less effective than anticipated - and often many people come down with the flu each year in spite of the availability of vaccines.

COVID-19 unfortunately is much more lethal than the flu (save for certain - e.g, 1918 - flu variants).

Worst case - vaccinations just prevent infection from the previous strain - to ensure safety of the populace, extant distancing/masking/safety protocols are necessary perhaps in a slightly attenuated form - which obviously has a massive impact on our economy.

On the whole, a deadly, mutating virus able to evade vaccines - is a very upsetting development.

Yet I've some hope - as bioengineering is experiencing exponential growth in sophistication. We might well develop some sort of silver bullet in the next decade or two.

Last edited:
It’ll be the under 40’s who feel the economic brunt of all of this when the dust settles.
It's always been that way and it'll be the working class population who suffer the most. I wouldn't like to guess the financial damage to the UK by the end of the pandemic but the upshot will be the middle class (and above) won't feel it too much but those in lower economic groups (which is by far the greatest demographic in the UK) will take the hit.

More after the match. But North West the only region to go up today despite the fall in cases.

By just 71 to 1379.

Last edited:
Another good day of data. Likely low tests (often are at weekend) but first sub 10,000 Sunday number

215 all setting deaths - lowest of the year

And

9834 cases.

2021 week to week on Sundays

54, 990 v 54, 940 v 38, 598 v 30, 004 v 21, 088 v 15, 845 v 10, 972 v 9834

when you see the case numbers like that you can see how far we have come.

Which is depressing - as sometimes predictions are off and the vaccine is much less effective than anticipated - and often many people come down with the flu each year in spite of the availability of vaccines.

COVID-19 unfortunately is much more lethal than the flu (save for certain - e.g, 1918 - flu variants).

Worst case - vaccinations just prevent infection from the previous strain - to ensure safety of the populace, extant distancing/masking/safety protocols are necessary perhaps in a slightly attenuated form - which obviously has a massive impact on our economy.

On the whole, a deadly, mutating virus able to evade vaccines - is a very upsetting development.

Yet I've some hope - as bioengineering is experiencing exponential growth in sophistication. We might well develop some sort of silver bullet in the next decade or two.

decade or two! Ffs - my garden will be imense by then

decade or two! Ffs - my garden will be imense by then
I'm not at all sure what your comment means - maybe it's an attempt at humor - but if you don't believe in science - then please never vote again - because, if you're anti-science, you're a danger to us all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.