Not open for further replies.
More stats on the Welsh vaccination programme (at least 1 dose):-

Over 80 - 90.5% vaccinated

75 - 79 years old - 92.6% vaccinated

70 - 74 years old- 91.4% vaccinated

Care home residents 84.4% vaccinated

Care home staff 85.8% vaccinated

Clinically most vulnerable (all ages) 84.3% vaccinated

I agree entirely, yet on social media this morning I am still seeing selfish twerps arguing the vaccines are a costly failure if 'all' they do is stop people getting very ill or dying. They will only be a success if they bring lockdown to an end and let everyone live their lives.

A bit like saying why should Boeing stop all 777s with this problem engine flying as they have. Fixing any problem is pointless if it means I don't get to fly on one this Summer.
It's staggering. Anyone complaining about how much the vaccines have cost ought to realise that the figure is dwarfed by how much this pandemic has cost so far.

Still blows my mind that they bunch Golf in with other sports.

BBC reporting the 29th March now for golf.. it should never have stopped!

Can only think it’s so they don’t have the knock on effect of allowing 1 sport and then people moaning why others aren’t allowed?

From BBC:

The first minister welcomes research led by Public Health Scotland found during the fourth week after the first dose, hospitalisations were reduced by 85% and 94% for the Pfizer and AstraZeneca jabs respectively.

"That is exceptionally encouraging news."

It is the first sign of the real world impact of vaccination in the UK.

Among the over 80s, there was an overall 81% reduction in the numbers admitted to hospital.

So, as predicted, the headline vaccine efficacy figures reported are somewhat misleading and the confidence intervals overlap massively.

At 4 weeks after one dose, efficacy reported.

Pfizer 76-91%, spot value 85%
AZ 73-99%, spot value 94%

Note that the AZ figure is based on just two(!) hospitalisations, the Pfizer on 18. The AZ confidence interval seems remarkably tight given it's based on only two patients, but OTOH I'm very sure they know their stats better than I do. The three week AZ figure is 72-90%, spot value 84%, based on 18 hospitalisations, which seems more soundly based.

Bottom line here is that both vaccines look very good at four weeks with a single dose, and can't be differentiated by this dataset.

Poor reporting to give the spot values, based on a poor press release which did the same, in my opinion.

They torture the data with myriad adjustments including age, sex, prexisting conditions, deprivation index and something to do with prior test results, none of which I really understand. If you just look at the base rate of hospitalisations with and without vaccine, they are far less impressive sounding, presumably because the most vulnerable are most likely to have been vaccinated.

The Pfizer one seems to drop off after 4 weeks, I've seen in claimed that may be an artefact of the low sample size.

We're going to beat this bloody virus..looking forward to getting my jab.

So, as predicted, the headline vaccine efficacy figures reported are somewhat misleading and the confidence intervals overlap massively.

Note that the AZ figure is based on just two(!) hospitalisations, the Pfizer on 18. The AZ confidence interval seems remarkably tight given it's based on only two patients, but OTOH I'm very sure they know their stats better than I do. The three week AZ figure is 72-90%, spot value 84%, based on 18 hospitalisations, which seems more soundly based.

Bottom line here is that both vaccines look very good at four weeks with a single dose, and can't be differentiated by this dataset.

Poor reporting to give the spot values, based on a poor press release which did the same, in my opinion.

They torture the data with myriad adjustments including age, sex, prexisting conditions, deprivation index and something to do with prior test results, none of which I really understand. If you just look at the base rate of hospitalisations with and without vaccine, they are far less impressive sounding, presumably because the most vulnerable are most likely to have been vaccinated.

The Pfizer one seems to drop off after 4 weeks, I've seen in claimed that may be an artefact of the low sample size.
Yep, seems a little misleading but still overall positive news.

That’s why I said I thought they’d released it too early. The sample size for Pfizer after four weeks is still significantly larger than it is for AZ.

The Pfizer one, it’s going to be interesting to see over the next few months how much of an impact the delayed second dose has to the efficacy both in between and post second dose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.