Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Laurus school in Cheadle hulme, whole of year 9 sent home to isolate for ten days after outbreak of positive tests. That’s a lot of kids stuck in again.

Do you think that the number of cases today is as result of the delays over the bank holiday?
It will have had some impact and 100 or so were because of the mishap in Scotland cases lost in a lab somewhere yesterday and added today. So it was not as bad as it might appear given those things.

Positivity in England is still falling so the overall picture is still good.

Regional Cases Today

Cases show up or down on yesterday and the v number is versus 7 days ago.

SOUTH

East UP 67 to 224 v 181

London down 26 to 252 v 307

South East UP 57 to 252 v 250

South West down 9 to 120 v 144

Up and down

MIDLANDS

East up 95 to 257 v 196 (Biggest rise of the day and up week to week)

West down 8 to 186 v 125 (Another week week to week rise)

NORTH

North East down 8 to 97 v 94 (Still lowest region).

Yorkshire UP 69 to 406 v 367 (Remains largest region and over 400 again).

NORTH WEST UP 51 to 371 v 314.

Not far behind Yorkshire and up week to week

GREATER MANCHESTER

Up 17 day to day (out of NW rise of 51 - which is good and below expected) but UP 27 week to week - about right for the expected half of the NW rise of 57). So overall not a bad day for GM in the context of not an especially good one for the NW .

I see that the reporter for the MEN has finally cottoned on to the increases in Bolton now. Only a week or so after it was highlighted in here. Am tempted to send her a link to this thread so she can keep up with @Healdplace updates!

I hope someone tipped them off and I am just relieved finally someone is waking up to this.

Though as I posted then the BBC NW had spotted it yesterday.

In many ways I hope they just used the same things I do to spot this (they are not top secret) because the official data lags by several days as a consequence of how it works and so why this was largely missed. But also why I do not rely on that 6 day old info only to track events that you need to know day to day.

I see why the official data is what it is and it adds nuance but watching for spikes needs an early warning not a bomb went off the day before yesterday set up.

In all seriousness I very much doubt the media take stuff from here as a football forum is not where they are ever likely to look. But it does not matter how they finally saw it just relieved they did. It is certainly well over the level they will be seeing from last week's official data.

That Bolton Weekly Pop score in the paper btw is bad but days old and it has just carried on going up. The number they cite is days ago. It is well over 100 today.

They are having a meeting tomorrow to discuss surge testing it seems - something they really should hae been doing days ago.

It is genuinely worrying though if a football forum is more in the know on the pandemic than GM politicians have been for about a week.

Bolton's cases from about when this spiking will be showing up in the 6 day old data have gone:-

29 - 32 - 41 - 45 - 44 - 57 - 61 - a very clear path and already double where they were in the 5 / 6 day old official numbers.

I really hope they did see this earlier and are not waiting until tomorrow to chat then act.

Last edited:
I really wish covid would have changed peoples mindsets in regards to "soldiering on" and going into work when sick. It really shouldn't be applauded.
For the lowest paid members of society, it might be more to do with £95 pw sick-pay rather than soldiering on, something the government still don’t seem to acknowledge or be prepared to do anything about.....

Greater Manchester Cases

192 cases today - up 17 on yesterday.

And up 27 from 165 last Wednesday.

Bolton - had another bad day at 61 - that is up 4 on the day and 36 week to week. Biggest weekly increase in any GM borough in ages. Pop score up by 21 today was enough to send its Weekly Pop over 100 - the first time Bolton has been up that high in over 5 weeks. Way up top out front on its own but 5 weeks ago it was below Oldham - who have dropped steadily since and today are one of the best performers in GM with numbers a quarter of where they were when up that high in late March.

Manchester is down 1 to 33 and way behind and also down 2 from last week. So going in the right direction not the wrong one as Bolton still is doing.

Rochdale rising too and up 8 on 18 - which is up 6 week to week.

Salford also on 18 which is up 7 bit more hopefully down 9 on last wk.

Wigan up 1 to 16 - which is up 5 wk to wk.

Stockport had a better day down 5 to 13 which is nonetheless up 4 week to week so cost it points. LOST ground on Trafford again after two weeks of eating into its big overall Pop Score lead.

Oldham up 3 to 12 on the day - happily down 5 wk to wk

Tameside goes up by 4 to 10 which is the same Aas last week.

Only two boroughs in single numbers today. One usual suspect. One a welcome return.

Bury up 2 to 6- which is the same as last week

And reclaiming normality and top spot is:-

Trafford down 6 to just 5 - another big drop of 8wk to wk. Definitely look to be getting their numbers under control here as Zoe predicted.

Weekly total cases:-

Bolton top 300 cases for the past week and way beyond Manchester now. Trafford's improvement in past few days pushes it back under 100.Three boroughs bunched on 83 closing in on Stockport who have risen in a few days to look under threat of heading back over 100 themselves. Bury and Tameside still fighting it out for lowest weekly cases. Just 3 in it.

Bury 42, Tameside 45, Oldham 62, Stockport 80, Rochdale 83, Wigan 83, Salford 83, Trafford 90, Manchester 195, Bolton 309.

Can't get my head around what's going on in Bolton, Healdplace, so I can only imagine how you feel when looking at these numbers every day.

Something just doesn't sit right with me with regards to the more common explanations I've read, maybe I'm missing something. I just can't for the life of me understand why Bolton would have a lower vaccine uptake (one possible explanation put forward) than almost everywhere else in the UK. Demographic, population density, messaging, is it SO different? Surely not?

I'm sure the residents there read the same newspapers, use the same social media platforms, and watch the same news programmes as us so I just can't see why messaging etc would be any different to anywhere else.

Variant related? Time will tell, but these sort of situations are infuriating when there's little in the way of plausible explanation as yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.