Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
People need to get back to their lives. The most vulnerable people have almost all be vaccinated, and so the need to keep people locked up is not there. Frankly I think the scientists at SAGE like this power to dictate public policy. I don't recall anyone voting for them.
Repeated this many times. Some are enjoying the time in the spot light and the power that brings. Makes them important and not irrelevant.

several posters are busy as fuck on this thread but ive NEVER seen them talking about City or any subject for that matter. Again, thy like the feeling of importance and dont want to return to irrelevance

My opinion on the impact of mutation and spike variants has changed significantly. I always thought that the whole virus vaccines would be less affected by escape mutations in the spike protein but that was just a feeling. Recent research has shown this to be so ('Neutralization of SARS-CoV-2 VOC 501Y.V2 by human antisera elicited by both inactivated BBIBP-CorV and recombinant dimeric RBD ZF2001 vaccines'.) There's also a similar paper about this in Nature microbiology.

Therefore, doomsday views of never-ending cycles of vaccine and escape-mutation are very likely wrong imo are based on the 1st phase of Western vaccines which targeted a tiny mutagenic part of the virus. Scientists will learn from this. I think it's quite likely that Pfizer and Moderna develop another updated spike-based vaccine (Moderna already have) but there are other approaches too which is the important thing.

Edit: Probably wrong to say that the spike protein is mutagenic but it is key to getting into human cells and hence mutations here that confer an advantage are selected for. This virus is evolving from animal to human and it's point of contact is the spike protein hence this was a very convenient target for us but a changing target. What we need is a vaccine booster, and then a whole range of them, and there needs to be diversification so we aren't all focused on one region.

We raced ahead. But we're too quick to make assumptions based on one approach which was motivated by speed

Last edited:
I think the Gov need to offer some incentive to u30's to get their jabs.

A lot of the girls I know round here (North Manchester) are steadfastly refusing, saying they'd rather catch it.

Not even bothered if I mention them not being able to go on holiday.
My experience with my 19 and 20 year old has been the opposite. They got a text from their surgery on Thursday, as did most of their friends, to book a jab. By Friday teatime, they and over 40 of their mates were done. To them it’s a no brainier. They want their lives back.

My experience with my 19 and 20 year old has been the opposite. They got a text from their surgery on Thursday, as did most of their friends, to book a jab. By Friday teatime, they and over 40 of their mates were done. To them it’s a no brainier. They want their lives back.
Exactly mate, my son didn’t bat an eye when we got him out of bed yesterday to tell him to get down there, happy as Larry to get it.

I think the Gov need to offer some incentive to u30's to get their jabs.

A lot of the girls I know round here (North Manchester) are steadfastly refusing, saying they'd rather catch it.

Not even bothered if I mention them not being able to go on holiday.
The US has been doing this. Million dollar lottery draw when your vaccinated, free beer, free tickets to sporting events etc.

We need to follow suit and start offering up perks. Anything to get the job done.

The US has been doing this. Million dollar lottery draw when your vaccinated, free beer, free tickets to sporting events etc.

We need to follow suit and start offering up perks. Anything to get the job done.

I don't think it's needed. You have the naysayers in every group just to be contrary but both first hand and anecdotally the majority are responding quickly.

How about a free hat and T-shirt with “ive had the jab but I didn’t really want it” printed on them

Supply is the issue. We don't need to offer incentives at the moment. Open any place up and it's besieged by quques and they quickly run out. UK vaccine supply seems flat. I think they limited the Astrazeneca supply to the older people and hence supplies for young limited to Pfizer and Moderna

I haven’t ome across any young people saying they aren’t getting it, in fact tney seem very keen. The only reluctant people I’ve come across are to 30/ 40 ish group.

People need to get back to their lives. The most vulnerable people have almost all be vaccinated, and so the need to keep people locked up is not there. Frankly I think the scientists at SAGE like this power to dictate public policy. I don't recall anyone voting for them.

Several posters repeat the same mantra.

Who is locked up? Are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.