Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can expect some visits to a tribunal then, which you will without doubt lose, considering:

1. There is no law that mandates vaccination - i think there is law that states you can't discriminate on health grounds, much like age, sex, or race.
2. This would be classed as textbook discrimination.
3. Tribunals are always set up in favour of the employee - you have to prove it wasn't discriminatory.
I don't have to employ any who doesn't have the jab, it would a condition as amongst other customers we deliver PPE to hospitals and care homes.

The vaccines only "happened quickly" because there was none of the red tape and arbitrary waiting periods that usually accompanies drug approval. They were tested under exactly the same clinical trials that every other drug goes through (at least in the US), and likely with a higher degree of scrutiny, not less, because literally everyone in the world was watching. Pretending there is a legitimate reason to not get them (which I'm not saying you are but clearly some do) is completely idiotic.
Think you misread me, I was responding to a post that said the testing was rushed through and people should be allowed to "wait" until the vaccine is 100% safe. I felt that was bollocks and I'm so grateful our government and NHS has done outstanding job getting us all protected. I'm furious with anyone who doesn't have it apart from the tiny percentage that can't on medical grounds.

I think people on the whole need to be more patient with those not getting the vaccines. There's constant fear-mongering and fake news that reinforces their decisions. At the minute we're vaccinating people at high speed. Once every willing person has had a vaccine there will be more data and those who are sceptical might change their mind.

Remember that telling someone they're thick and shouting at them is an awful way to bring them onside. Be sympathetic and listen to their reasoning. Understand their concerns and then offer scientific data as an argument.
I take it this advice doesn't apply when addressing the Ian Brown's of this world and a left hook will suffice? ;)

If we waited for every vaccine to be 100% safe then there would likely be 100% dead if we face a truly terrible virus with both high infectivity and death rate. Far from impossible in some people's lifetimes. Covid really could have been so much worse than it already has proven.

Would the anti vaxxers be quite the same on safety and civil liberties then if catching this one meant the all but certain fatal outcome for them and loved ones down to not taking a vaccine and just gettimg on with life as usual.

All life is a balance of risk from crossing the road to playing golf in a thunderstorm tomorrow. You balance your own choices. But the difference here is that your choice impacts other people. So just as we would regard it a concern if you told your child to stand under that one big tree in open fields as it was thundering and lightning all around them just in case they got wet - then so too must there be responsibility for others taken into account with vaccine choices. Unless you choose to make that choice AND not live normally after doing so. Which is fair enough.

I guess we all make personal calls on where the balance point is for ourselves. But when your actions impact others it cannot just be a free choice. This is a hard call for some. I do see that. But this is a scenario where having it both ways cannot work. You either mandate with no choice or provide freedom of choice tied to consequences if you choose to act against all advice. The latter seems the best balance of human rights.

Really there are no other options here. A total free for all will not work in a pandemic.

Think you misread me, I was responding to a post that said the testing was rushed through and people should be allowed to "wait" until the vaccine is 100% safe. I felt that was bollocks and I'm so grateful our government and NHS has done outstanding job getting us all protected. I'm furious with anyone who doesn't have it apart from the tiny percentage that can't on medical grounds.
No sorry, I fully agree with you. Just worded poorly on my end.

She said she's not having metal put into her arm and she said I'll breathe over children in Tesco's, about as crass as anyone could get. I honestly have no sympathy for anyone who refuses the jab then dies.
I heard her, she should be sacked if she has the jab or not, horrible person and shouldn't be working with elderly and ill people with her attitude

The majority of people over here at the moment who ar walking around without a mask on are Brits.
I've made all staff in various businesses aware that if after politely asking to put one on they are met with a refusal or some bullshit excuse that they are exempt without showing proof to fuck them off and made clear they are not welcome.
Nearly 2 years of Covid and businesses and livelihoods going to the wall and as we get to the point where there's light at the end of the tunnel I've no intention of putting things at risk because a few dickheads think they are above a bit of common decency.
Fortunately the Spanish authorities aren't as soft as the British and the big fines they will receive might just knock some sense into them.

Spain has different laws I believe. You have to have a medical certificate if you're exempt over there, here you don't.

Drunk on power? I imagine most don't want to ask people to wear masks as they will know it could lead to confrontation when that kind of thing is something they want to avoid and is not part of their job. I have watched a number of videos online of maskless people recording confrontations with shop staff, police etc.. Then when you look at their profiles, they are often, let's say, questionable characters. May be for some it appears a link between unable to wear a mask and being an arsehole?

We should not forget that the bigger issue here are selfish people, some of them lying, who could be spreading a virus rather than a shop worker asking someone to wear a mask.

We all know some are filming confrontations for their five minutes of fame but equally some police and security/shop managers are aggressive and condescending if somebody says they are exempt. Again a person doesn't have to explain why they are exempt or show any proof, just saying they're exempt is enough. Are people taking advantage of that ruling? Undoubtedly, but that's the law if anyone escalating these confrontations by asking for proof etcetera should know. If they refuse to serve them, embarrass them by the confrontation or force them to leave they are breaking the disability act and the shop could be fined.

Big jump in cases today sadly - 9055

Up from 7673 yesterday and 7540 last week and 4330 week before.

9 all settings deaths.

Also from 148K FEWER tests than yesterday btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.