Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Delta strain is responsible for 90% of cases now so it’s pretty much one and the same thing

Nothing seems to add up to me. Apparently it’s more contagious, more likely to send you to hospital and more likely to lead to death. They are saying we are already on over 20k infections a day, 90% of which are the delta variant, yet hospitalisations are riding slowly and the infection to death rate is around 0.3%. What is it to be?

its pretty much the dominant strain everywhere now ( assuming this graph is what it said it was. got it from a new site )

View attachment 19461
Yes, as I dsaid above - different regions are at different stages - but this is an unstoppable UK wave. Nowhere will escape. And it helps if it spreads more slowly region to region as it will reduce pressure oin resourcrs if it happens that way.

It seems odd that the government are declining to focus vaccine resources on badly hit areas. But I think this may be part of the reasoning, Better to slow down the region to region spread to minimise national pressures and vaccinate everywhere quickly so that when it reaches the next area it has already stepped up its defences in preparation.

We do get our kids vaccinated for other diseases, some of these diseases could harm or even kill them , COVID won’t.
You absolutely sure about that? Kids have died of COVID - not many, I grant you, but it has happened (around 3 in 1 million for 10-16 year old according to the Lancet). Plus this is also part of the overall 'herd immunity' strategy so maybe it doesn't protect your kids but it protects your Gran who will come into contact with your kids and, even though she is double-jabbed, that protection isn't 100% effective (maybe 90-95%).

Nothing seems to add up to me. Apparently it’s more contagious, more likely to send you to hospital and more likely to lead to death. They are saying we are already on over 20k infections a day, 90% of which are the delta variant, yet hospitalisations are riding slowly and the infection to death rate is around 0.3%. What is it to be?
Because the vaccinations work against Delta. That is why. If they did not we would be in full national lockdown now.

You absolutely sure about that? Kids have died of COVID - not many, I grant you, but it has happened (around 3 in 1 million for 10-16 year old according to the Lancet). Plus this is also part of the overall 'herd immunity' strategy so maybe it doesn't protect your kids but it protects your Gran who will come into contact with your kids and, even though she is double-jabbed, that protection isn't 100% effective (maybe 90-95%).

How many of them children were fit and healthy and how many we not?

It's a good job you don't have kids then if you won't let them do something with a 1 in million chance of dying,because you'd never let them walk to or from school, go on a bike, go on a car journey and make them avoid many other hazards in the home.
That's a bit harsh.

It's still an extra risk and unfortunately, the scientists envisage there will be at least 9 healthy children who would die as a result of taking the vaccine. Will dozens more develop potentially life-changing side effects? That's not something we should take lightly!

The overall risk of a child dying from COVID is incredibly small, so it is a moral quandary.

I don't feel good about it. I'm not saying I wouldn't get my child (if I had one) vaccinated, just that I'm unsure.

When you look at India and the daily figures something doesn't add up. Runs riot here but a country with over 1 billion population only has 67k cases a day, our offshore workers have gone back into the office in Bangalore.

I do have kids and probably expose them to risks far greater than 1 in 1million without really thinking about it (driving them in the car to football and swimming for example). It's impossible to make any human activity absolutely zero risk, it's all a matter of 'acceptable risk' which sounds a bit harsh when it's your kid you're talking about but the way I look at it, you cannot function without accepting some risks and this is just another one of a long list.

EDIT: thinking about it a bit more, we happily get our kids vaccinated for other diseases and I have no idea what the risk of those vaccinations are but they are probably of a similar order. I do know they are not zero.
What you're saying is true, but it still shouldn't be taken lightly. I can't even imagine how upsetting it would be to lose a child, never mind losing them to a vaccine that you decided they should have.

My point is that I can really sympathise with parents who are reluctant to have their kids vaccinated (at this point in time without more research/evidence about the side effects in children).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.