Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The infection rates seen in children are not due to surge testing concentrated on schools. It's real.

How do we know? From samples where the same distribution that we see on the age heat maps is seen again.

From the React Study that came out this morning...

"We observed that growth was being driven by younger age groups, with five-fold higher rates of swab-positivity among younger children (ages 5 to 12 years) and young adults (18 to 24 years) compared with those aged 65 years and older, and 2.5-fold higher rates among those below 50 years compared with those 50 years and above. These age patterns suggest that recent expansion of the vaccine programme to those aged 18 years and above [14] should help substantially to reduce the overall growth of the epidemic. The observed patterns may reflect increased social interactions among children and young adults as schools remain open and lockdown eases, as well as high vaccine uptake among older people"

Oh and the R rate is at 1.44.

But signs its slowing. For a really excellent synopsis see the main article on BBC News...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57504172

I feel this may be the endgame of this epidemic. Its last throw of the dice which takes into the wonderful world of herd immunity or is that just Alice through the looking glass?
This is a very serious issue and shows that without school children being vaccinated, the pandemic is going to rumble on in the UK for some time.

I heard someone on the news saying a reasonable estimate was that 1 in 1m children would die as a direct result of taking the vaccine and that the number of children who have severe reactions to the vaccine would be higher still.

I'm lucky that I don't have a child, but I'm not sure I'd be happy letting them take that risk. If we think the anti-vax crew are bad now, it's going to blow up when they go down that route!

Ta.

Is that just Delta variant or positives of all variants (appreciate Delta is most prominent variant)?

Cannot really see London boroughs.

I wouldn't underestimate immunity levels in London. The virus ravaged the capital before the first lockdown. So much so, c300 died just in Barnet over 3 days. For that many deaths, there must have been a lot of people who had it.

Cases are certainly increasing down here. They have done since Delta became an issue. However, the growth has not been as steep as that in the NW. Just in Barnet, we have gone from around 15/100k to 40/100k in about three or four weeks.
As noted above I post the data for every region in England around 5 / 6 pm each evening if you want to scan back.

Last night I showed week to week over the past month how South West and North East have skyrocketed very fast indeed in case numbers.

London too is now rising quite fast - with higher base numbers but not as rapid an increase as those two regions.

This is visibly spreading even as the North West is starting to stabilise.

It will reach everywhere in coming weeks but the NW seems to suggest it will be a short peak relatively easy to get under control. As the demographic now catching it (80% are under 40 and only 4% over 60) mostly escape with a moderate to minor illness. And - as they are of the age that is interacting - spread it very quickly to their more susceptible peers.

Though that worked when it was one area driving cases. If it becomes three or four at once then that might make things harder.

Wales is clearly showing an increase too but as yet in pockets - such as much of North Wales where the virus was easily imported from the North West as it spread there from East Lancashire and Bolton to Greater Manchester 2 / 3 weeks ago and then 1 / 2 weeks ago to Cheshire and Merseyside.

This is a very very virulent strain and once we missed our chance to stop it early by our dithering over India we were always going to have to see this take over the UK and rise, peak then fall one by one in all parts. We are not and have not been in lockdown throughout it remermber. It is Summer and people are travelling wide across the UK. This has been an unavoidable national wave not a local outbreak from the moment we chose to let it in.

NW will be out of this before other areas because it was the first. But this wave is not going to be over in the next 3 weeks probably. Unless it spreads so fast everywhere - as it might. Then it may fall more quickly too.

Next few day should tell us a lot.

And even though the NW is stabilised as is Scotland (who were early adopters of Delta too) the numbers are rather flat so far and not steeply falling. We need to see that in Scotland and the North West before we rest too easy.

Bolton is showing some encouraging signs as it has been vaccine blitzed and that seems to have stalled it early. Stockport also shot up when Delta arrived along with Manchester and Salford. Both those cities have the two worst vaccination rates in GM and Stockport has the best. Stockport up to now has stopped rising and is falling faster than these other two regions.

Early days and it might change but that could be important and is probably why the focus in the 4 week delay is to vaccinate furiously. It does seem to control Delta pretty well.

Last edited:
As noted above I post the data for every region in England around 5 / 6 pm each evening if you want to scan back.

Last night I showed week to week over the past month how South West and North East have skyrocketed very fast indeed in case numbers.

London too is now rising quite fast - with higher base numbers but not as rapid an increase as those two regions.

This is visibly spreading even as the North West is starting to stabilie and fall.

It will reach everywhere in coming weeks but the NW seems to suggest it will be q short peak relarively easy to get under control.

Though that worked when it was one area driving cases. If it becomes three or four at once then that might make things harder.

Wales is clearly showing an increase too but as yet in pockers - such as much of North Wales where the virus wa easily imported from the North West as it spread there from East Lancashire and Bolton to Greater Manchester 2 / 3 weeks ago and then 1 / 2 weeks ago to Cheshire and Merseyside.

This is a very very virulent strain and once we missed our chance to stop it early by our dithering we wrre lways going to have to see this take over the UK and rise, peak then fall one by one in all of them.

NW will be out of this before other areas because it was the first. But this wae is not going to be over in the next 3 weeks probably. Unless it spreads so fast everywhere - as it might. Then it may fall more quockly too

The biggest question here ( for me anyways ) is how much of the NW's control, and quick leveling/fall was down to surge testing/Vaccines. localised control like that is viable in a single region but not when it spreads far and wide.

I feel a general spike will be a little less controlled than what we have seen in the NW. but only a hunch on my part!.

Last edited:
This is a very serious issue and shows that without school children being vaccinated, the pandemic is going to rumble on in the UK for some time.

I heard someone on the news saying a reasonable estimate was that 1 in 1m children would die as a direct result of taking the vaccine and that the number of children who have severe reactions to the vaccine would be higher still.

I'm lucky that I don't have a child, but I'm not sure I'd be happy letting them take that risk. If we think the anti-vax crew are bad now, it's going to blow up when they go down that route!
I do have kids and probably expose them to risks far greater than 1 in 1million without really thinking about it (driving them in the car to football and swimming for example). It's impossible to make any human activity absolutely zero risk, it's all a matter of 'acceptable risk' which sounds a bit harsh when it's your kid you're talking about but the way I look at it, you cannot function without accepting some risks and this is just another one of a long list.

EDIT: thinking about it a bit more, we happily get our kids vaccinated for other diseases and I have no idea what the risk of those vaccinations are but they are probably of a similar order. I do know they are not zero.

It's a good job you don't have kids then if you won't let them do something with a 1 in million chance of dying,because you'd never let them walk to or from school, go on a bike, go on a car journey and make them avoid many other hazards in the home.

The organisers of a 1500 capacity folk festival in Norfolk we were going to attend on 2nd to 4th July are seeking a viable way for the festival to go ahead .. I don’t hold out much hope , despite the fact it’s outside, the demographic being a folky event will mostly be double jabbed and it’s set on a site that houses much bigger events..
Tents just because of guy ropes tents already socially distance ;)

I do have kids and probably expose them to risks far greater than 1 in 1million without really thinking about it (driving them in the car to football and swimming for example). It's impossible to make any human activity absolutely zero risk, it's all a matter of 'acceptable risk' which sounds a bit harsh when it's your kid you're talking about but the way I look at it, you cannot function without accepting some risks and this is just another one of a long list.

EDIT: thinking about it a bit more, we happily get our kids vaccinated for other diseases and I have no idea what the risk of those vaccinations are but they are probably of a similar order. I do know they are not zero.
We do get our kids vaccinated for other diseases, some of these diseases could harm or even kill them , COVID won’t.

The biggest question here ( for me anyways ) is how much of the NW's control, and quick leveling/fall was down to surge testing/Vaccines. localised control like that is viable in a single region but not when it spreads far and wide.

I feel a general spike will be a little less controlled than what we have seen in the NW. but only a hunch on my part!.
Yes, indeed as you see I agree that one by one is easier to control than multipke areas at once. Though the advantage is NW is one of the most fertile grounds for Delta because of demographics. So it helps a lot to get that under control of we can.

Other areas have been building Delta cases for weeks now. None have been immune. A slow build up is better than a sudden explosion everywhere.

But I think the success in Bolton is a model they will use and if they are seeing what I am seeing - the better vaccinated boroughs are cooing more easily with Delta than the ones further behind - this will be why they have posited the delay as a window to bump up the vaccinations. In the demographic groups that are driving the Delta spread - largely due to them being at the back of the queue and we onky just having reached them in recent weeks.

This should make a big difference. We hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.