Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't read the article but is it likely that many admitted are automatically tested after admission rather than before ?
Everyone admitted to hospital is tested for Covid according to the article.

'The majority of cases were not detected until patients underwent standard Covid tests, carried out on everyone admitted to hospital for any reason.'

'The breakdown of daily Covid hospital diagnoses shows that of more than 780 hospitalisations dated last Thursday, 44 per cent involved people who tested positive in the 14 days before hospital entry.

A further 43 per cent were made within two days of admission, with 13 per cent made in the days and weeks that followed, including those likely to have caught the virus in hospital.'

Feels like a real pivotal time these next few weeks.

restrictions lifted
hospital admissions increasing
Cases dropping
People getting less tested and going about as normal.
NHS under pressure from backlog of other services.

Everyone admitted to hospital is tested for Covid according to the article.

'The majority of cases were not detected until patients underwent standard Covid tests, carried out on everyone admitted to hospital for any reason.'

'The breakdown of daily Covid hospital diagnoses shows that of more than 780 hospitalisations dated last Thursday, 44 per cent involved people who tested positive in the 14 days before hospital entry.

A further 43 per cent were made within two days of admission, with 13 per cent made in the days and weeks that followed, including those likely to have caught the virus in hospital.'
This is similar to the situation regarding PHE recording of Covid deaths last year. At that time anyone who had previously had Covid and died for any reason at any point afterwards was classified as a Covid death. I think the Telegraph ran with this and the system was changed to within 28 days.

It seems like if an elderly person falls and breaks their hip and is then found to have Covid after being admitted to hospital then suddenly they are a Covid patient. What is needed is clarity on how many people are hospitalised or are dying PRIMARILY due to Covid and not some convenient catch all.

2 weeks ago, my daughter, her husband and 7 day old baby boy started to feel ill. Coughing, breathless, temperature, fatigue. Whilst my daughter has been pregnant they’ve lived like hermits, working from home, online food shopping, basically just going out to take their 2 year old to nursery. My daughter and my baby grandson ended up in Oldham Royal for 10 days, where they initially assumed it was COVID. Swabs revealed bacteria pneumonia. Baby had his lungs drained, was on oxygen, and intravenous antibiotics. The consultant told my daughter that the likelihood is that my granddaughter brought some sort of infection from nursery, that shes just brushed off, but a new baby and 2 adults who have pretty much shielded for a year have succumbed to. After 10 days in hospital, they were told the bed/room was needed and my grandson was go home, but return every day as an outpatient, for 3 hours on intravenous antibiotics. The children’s ward is literally full of kids with respiratory illness. My daughter heard the ward nurses on the phone to A&E saying they couldn’t take anymore admissions.

I see 1/2 the people who have been in hospital for Covid have caught it while in hospital for somthing else. So much for the "Wonderful" NHS.
Infection control is just bloody awful and has been for decades.

it would help if they turned the bloody central heating down or off now and then. Hospitals are absolutely boiling places and they seem to think as people are ill it’s mandatory to have the antiquated central heating system pumping out on full power 24 hours a day . Breeding germs . I imagine even in the heatwave last week they will have been on full power.

global warming would be solved if the NHS a turned its heating off or down now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.