Status
Not open for further replies.
SCOTLAND DATA

7 deaths - was 10 last week

6029 cases - was 4323 last week

14.9% positivity - was 14.5% last week

585 patients - up 34 on yesterday - was 364 last week

54 ventilated icu - up 2 on yesterday - was 43 last week

THE HOSPITAL NUMBERS ARE STILL RISING A LITTLE BUT THERE ARE HINTS THE SIZE OF THE INCREASE IN CASES IS SLOWING DAY TO DAY - AS THE POSITIVITY RISE INFERS TOO.

Was just going to say, totally agree it looks like the growth rate may be slowing based on the past couple of days figures. Hopefully follows a similar pattern to what happened after the last easing of restrictions in June time when things sky rocketed initially then settled before falling again.

This bit just personal opinion, but hearing whispers of hospitality restrictions (again), I'm not sure I was on board with in any case but even more so with the perhaps cautious optimism from the last couple of days (and that's all it is). I'd see how things settle (or don't) from here. Trouble is the government seemed slow to react to the fact cases were rising and *now* seems to be the time they're panicking when those signs for optimism are perhaps there. Why does it always feel like their press conferences and reactions are about a week out of date? Infuriating.

Diabetes..no surprise there in todays society junk food on tap 24/7 obesity in kids the ticking time bomb now coming home to roost..Will they change will they fuck..natural selection
while a lot of that is true its pretty much just down to calorie intake, no matter what the reasoning for it. there were reports out a while back that a lot of pro athletes will go on to stage 2 diabetes quite early in life due to calorie loading diets before events.

When you look at the stats. Diabetes being top is no real surprise, but Obesity is quite a way down the list.

Do you reckon we will head into another restrictions or even lockdown in next few months based on current trajectory of rates ?
I am not sure. What happens in England schools may be the real issue. As you have to assume that is why cases rose in Scotland so much in past week or two - though it started before schools there I think.

England has not shown any evidence of going up or down much at all right now. Which on the face of it is odd as only the schools not yet back are the obvious difference.

However, N Ireland - who got this wave last - is already seeming to slow and never went very high. Wales is hard to call and have a high spillover from England people with second homes and caravans there and visiting and they have reported quite a few of the daily cases attributed to Wales live in England.

And if the Scotland peak is short lived and the fall continues we might see any or all or something else entirely in England if schools drive a rise up here as it will be so many weeks after the other opening ups that should be driving cases - such as football.

So I doubt anyone will leap until it is clear action needs to be taken.

The hospital data is the key and THAT has been rising but is nowhere near where it was in past waves and staying fairly flat.

Scotland has 585 in hospital and 54 on icu ventilator beds today from 6000 or so cases.

It peaked in the Winter wave at 2053 patients (5 times as many) and 161 (3 times as many) on ventilators in hospital around mid January. Cases then were actually about ONE THIRD only of those today. As we were not testing as many as now to identify less severe cases.

So you can probably triple the difference.

In other words around 15 times as many people per reported case in January ended up as a patient than do so now.

It will be about 9 times as many with the Ventilators.

So IF we were seeing anything like 8000 + patients and 450 on ventilators in Scotland we would be in real trouble.

But we are not even close and likely never will be.

Nothing much changes with England just bigger numbers all round.

The vaccines have been a giant game changer and things we would have done in January are not necessarily required now if the hospital data pans out like that.

THIS data is the thing to watch - not cases - the majority of which are in essence just positive tests of people who will never go near hospital. A thing that was significantly less true in all past waves BECAUSE we did not yet have the vaccination programme.

Last edited:
Do you reckon we will head into another restrictions or even lockdown in next few months based on current trajectory of rates ?
All depends on how the trajectory of hospitalisations and deaths go, I suppose.

I know people can feel like shit, and long Covid is an issue; but if the NHS are coping and not too many people are dying (as statistical as I’m making deaths sound, I know every death is as bad as each other), there may not be a need to restrict too severely or lockdown.

With data coming out that shows that people having contracted the virus having increased immunity to it afterwards, for those who don’t get too ill with it it’s almost worth them contracting it (especially those refusing the vaccine).

As dry and unemotional talking about herd immunity is, it is a medical term for a reason.

Diabetes..no surprise there in todays society junk food on tap 24/7 obesity in kids the ticking time bomb now coming home to roost..Will they change will they fuck..natural selection
Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune condition not related to obesity or eating junk food. Lots of research into Type 1 suggests that an illness (such as a viral infection) can later cause Type 1 diabetes in people, which I suspect happened to me when I was diagnosed with it. Type 1 can also be caused by genetics passed down from parents. Some people are being diagnosed with diabetes after recovering from Covid, which adds some credence to the above research.

NORTHERN IRELAND DATA

6 deaths - was 12 last week

1313 cases - was 1648 last week

9.3% positivity - was 10.4% last week

10, 620 weekly cases - was 11, 886 last week

135 care home outbreaks - was 134 last week

391 patients - was 373 last week

37 ventilated - was 26 last week

Big jump in ventilated patients but other data still doing fairly well and falling in many cases as it has for past week like England,

32, 181 cases - big jump up on yesterday

Up 5705 on yesterday

And up 1343 on last week when it was 30, 838

50 all settings deaths - no meaningful comparison week to week here due to the Bank Holiday delay in registration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.