Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done the click and collect thing since all this started back in March and even when this is all over I'll probably keep doing it.
It's generally easier to get a slot than for delivery (plus I drive so I always feel like I'm keeping a delivery slot open for someone who does need it), I pull into the car park at Asda and phone up to say I'm there, I then walk into the store and stand by the front door, someone brings the loaded trolley to me within a couple of minutes and away I go. Definitely preferable to wandering around in store for 45 minutes at a time like I used to!
I have delivery from Tesco fortnightly but have had a couple of collects at their Crewe store. In an empty corner of the underground two people in masks load my boot with no contact. Well done by them although delivery suits me better.
Every other supermarket can piss off because they weren't of any help to me but they got mt e mail address and bombard me with adverts.

Sorry to hear that and hope you make a swift recovery. My prevalent symptom was also a severe throat infection so I feel your pain! If it is causing you a lot of trouble the best thing for it is to gargle soluble paracetamol (if you can). It's a bit gross, but it works locally so it's the best way of getting pain relief right where you need it.
Indeed. So it’s hard to untangle whether it’s COVID19 or the throat infection that’s making me run down (if that’s feasible?).
Throat/sinus infections have plagued me for years. I have thus slightly off kilter ear canal which opens me up to ear infections (can never have the car window open when driving).
Used to occur once every couple of years (since a kid) and end up with my ear drum bursting...the pain and and general malaise was unbearable.
Why I have tinnitus in that ear.

How long did you have the symptoms for btw? Recovered now?

My daughter had it over Xmas & I had a a few symptoms so went for a test which came back negative.
But that was weeks ago and I never go anywhere aside from Tesco (udydd as lot mate at night).
Couid be as simple as me biting my fingernails in a momentary lapse of cleanliness (bad habit)....could be from the block of flats I currently reside in.

Rare I get ill these days since eating healthy & exercising daily (and taking vit D).

Just wondered if your immune system can let its guard down if you feel rundown (poor sleep) and let COVID19 in.

German death rate is below ours
Not much. And per case it's bigger though because they did so well earlier they have more highly vulnerable people who can mor easily die if they catch it. That said they are only testing half the number of folks a day that we are. I can't actually find the number of tests but the +ve rate is between 10% and 20% so at most they're 250k tests a day at least 125k.
Chancellor Merkel said in a news conference the other day that she expects cases to go up 10 fold when the new variant takes hold. Which came as a bit of a shock with the brutality of the response to the question.

they have more highly vulnerable people who can mor easily die if they catch it.

Pure speculation, and not consistent with known facts, which suggest the difference is small.

The vast majority of vulnerable people in both countries have never been infected.

At a very rough guess, 80% of the UK highly vulnerable are still at risk, having never been infected; 95% of those in Germany.

In the figures for the whole pandemic it is but that's because initially they had very few deaths which skews the figures. At the height of April they had at worst 300 deaths a day, we had 1,000+. So of course it will look better but what happened in March last year is irrelevant to today.

Yesterday Germany reported 16k cases and 1,106 deaths.... In the UK it was 45k cases and 1,243 deaths. I'm guessing this is just a quirk in testing which makes sense given they test half as many people per day compared to us.

The US is reporting a death rate per case that is lower than ours too but it doesn't change the fact they are seeing 4,000 dying per day. That's still an incredible statistic on its own considering the US has virtually no restrictions.
The US have zero restrictions (or version thereof) as they don't have a state run health system to maintain they literally don't give a monkeys about it. My boss is in Texas there is nothing in place and is one of worst hit states.

This new strain is visibly more infective just from the numbers on here who have reported catching Covid versus the occasional one or to over the months before.

In my own family when one caught it only one of the remaining three living with did NOT over the next few days. And she might as was not asked to test showing no symptoms. But may well have had it and been asymptomatic. Also two others met over Christmas seemingly may have too.

This is why numbers are skyrocketing BUT if the big falls in case numbers in London and the South are evidence of something it may be that this in a sense will run through susceptible people more quickly as a result of the infectivity rate and that might alongside the vaccination programme for the vulnerable have a good shot at getting us out of this quicker than anyone expects a Winter wave to last. Inevitably longer than one when coming out of Winter as in April.

The North West has caught the tail end of this and is at greatest risk of seeing the wave linger - though the numbers over East Lancashire and Merseyside have been really high for weeks so they must be on their way to some kind of peak.

The two areas most uncertain are Greater Manchester which because of its mini wave in October has been less impacted by the rise of the new strain but is going up. And Yorkshire which has somehow managed to keep low numbers of both cases and the new variant.

Where these two regions go as numbers decline elsewhere will tell us what is really working to bring them down in the south - natural waning as time passes like in any wave - or the restrictions. If the restrictions are not really helping GM and Yorkshire must expect to see numbers go up and be the last to come out of it. If the October wave and months of restrictions Merseyside did not have acted as a buffer then we may never get to the levels seen elsewhere before the vaccines kick in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.