Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The young have sacrificed their freedoms to protect the lives of vulnerable people.

Vulnerable people who have been vaccinated should then have to sacrifice their freedoms in return to allow for everyone else to to get their jab.

No way should they be allowed to travel if the young aren’t, just because they’ve been vaccinated before them.
Surely it will be up to the country of destination who they allow to travel there and what papers they are required to have.
And then up to the country they return to make rules on quarantine etc when they come back.

Regional Scoreboard:

Most places up a bit.

NW still the highest in total. Up 296 to 1512

But North East (up 15 to 483) East Midlands (up 299 to 1095), West Midlands (up most today - 341 - to 1299) and Yorkshire (up 214 to 1153) are also up on yesterday.

South West at its lowest in months (385)

London up 29 but still under 1000 at 952

East also up but only 79 to 772

South East up 102 to 943.

So every southern region below 1000.

You'd be setting a very dangerous precedent there, effectively saying 'you cannot live a normal life unless you have a government mandated foreign body forcibly put inside your own.'

I'm all for private businesses requiring some for of proof to allow entry to their premises - they're private businesses, that's their prerogative - but the moment you pass legislation requiring it you're opening some doors i'd rather see remain closed.

i think that was sort of my point, the Conservative party (and in fact UK govs in general) dont historically make vaccine's mandatory (many EU countries do make some mandatory) and they've already moved away from vaccine passports, plus vaccine passes. That is because they purport to be more libertarian, in terms of rights of individual freedom.

now i agree that making a vaccine mandatory and then saying you have to prove it IS a dangerous precedent, and one with which many on here have openly said it should be, but there is a clear intention for the private sector to take this up, with the carrot of opening up to get business flowing, as long as they dont create further problems to which we'll have to bring back restrictions.

anyway, after that waffle, i am skeptical to the longevity of a vaccine pass as there'll be a good chunk of unvaccinated people who will have money to spend and to be honest, i wont attend any event or pub where i have to prove myself worthy, even though i will happily be vaccinated come June or July. Business wise it may just fizzle out but some big sporting events will look at it in 2021.

Because theres a difference between protecting people from dying and another group not being allowed to travel ( by other countries governments probably) for a few weeks or months.
Besides locking down the vulnerable was a stupid idea, and no more than a sound bite, and for that reason no country tried it. Partly because a big part of the vulnerable group were needed to carry on working.
I’ll ask again what good does stopping somebody that’s been vaccinated,that Greece or any other country says can travel from travelling, do for the person Greece says must wait a few months until they are vaccinated. What does it achieve ? As far as I can see nothing at all.
I guess the main risk would be the government trying to convince younger people to abide by any remaining lockdown rules, and this risk seeing the number of cases rise again.

Think people in the UK would be advised to book 'staycations' this summer. European Union countries are facing lengthening delays in terms of accessing vaccines, so even in places such as Greece, things are unlikely to be anywhere back to normal, even if things are in the UK. EU countries will also be under pressure from each other to protect their borders as well; maybe Cyprus or the Spanish islands will be better placed to accept UK tourists later in the summer. Greece has only said it 'may' welcome tourists again, after Easter in May, and then it would require adults to provide evidence that they have been vaccinated, and accompanying minors would have to provide negative test results.
We've got 2 months yet, a lot is going to change hopefully in a good way

Greater Manchester Summary:

GM added 142 of the NW rise of 296 today - just a tad over par and so the % only changed from 45.2% to 45.8%

GM total 692 - up from 550.

Trafford once again stellar (why is nobody discovering how they are doing this?) - lowest GM number in weeks at 26.

Booby prize today to Bolton which doubled to pass 100 at 103. Though still down week to week.

Manchester up quite a bit for once and up slightly week to week too at 141.

Everyone else under 100.

A few up and a few down.

But only Tameside up a lot and up a lot on last week too at 79.

So Bolton and Tameside still struggling a bit.

Better day for Stockport down on last week - with Rochdale, Bury, Salford, Stockport, and Wigan all separated by just 5 - between 58 and 63.

I guess the main risk would be the government trying to convince younger people to advice by any remaining lockdown rules, and this risk seeing the number of cases rise again.
Yes, I can see that could be an issue. On the other hand I don’t think it means the government can legislate to stop a person vaccinated travelling to a country that says they can visit.
I suppose if they wanted they could make it difficult for returning visitors with quarantines, testing etc. I don’t think we are talking big numbers anyway. We are talking about from end of May until beginning of July when we hope to to have all adults vaccinated.
And for those young people not vaccinated if we hit our targets of most restrictions lifted by mid June then there won’t be many rules for the un vaccinated to ignore.

Whem the lockdown ends there's going to be a risky period with a lot more social contact and inevitably higher infection rate before a lot of people get vaccinated. That period worries me. I would have been more comfortable with restrictions loosening after vaccination and not before, however the world does not revolve around me.
That's good to hear :)

Greater Manchester Summary:

GM added 142 of the NW rise of 296 today - just a tad over par and so the % only changed from 45.2% to 45.8%

GM total 692 - up from 550.

Trafford once again stellar (why is nobody discovering how they are doing this?) - lowest GM number in weeks at 26.

Booby prize today to Bolton which doubled to pass 100 at 103. Though still down week to week.

Manchester up quite a bit for once and up slightly week to week too at 141.

Everyone else under 100.

A few up and a few down.

But only Tameside up a lot and up a lot on last week too at 79.

So Bolton and Tameside still struggling a bit.

Better day for Stockport down on last week - with Rochdale, Bury, Salford, Stockport, and Wigan all separated by just 5 - between 58 and 63.

I have no idea why Trafford is doing so well. I live here and see people breaking the rules all the time just in my road alone. Perhaps we have rolled out the vaccine quicker than most? I had mine done January 21st and they told me they were doing the 60-65 age range, that seems ahead of a lot of other areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.